CD 28 Differences

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

appletim1

CD 28 Differences

Post by appletim1 »

Tapping into the forum's knowledge, I have always wondered about the square port lights on some CD28's vs. the more prevalent oval ones seen on other CD 28's. Why the difference? Thanks.
D n L

Re: CD 28 Differences

Post by D n L »

We have a 1980 year/ built late '79 - has the oval ports for sure...
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

Early boats were built with the square plastic portlights, and later boats were sold with the iconic oval bronze portlights. At some point there was an effort by Cape Dory to make the styling consistent and the older designs (the original 25s and the 28) started being sold with the bronze portlights, wood veneer interiors and the tan non-skid on the decks. I have the first Cape Dory 28 sold and she has the square portlights, blue non-skid, and formica below. This was standard for a couple years before they updated the design. I'm sure that acquiring the capability to produce their own bronze fittings through Spartan had something to do with the switch.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

SVFayaway wrote:I have the first Cape Dory 28 sold and she has the square portlights, blue non-skid, and formica below.
While not trying to be a PITA... I disagree with the "first Cape Dory 28 sold" comment only because back in 2001 I was looking for a CD28 and actually found a link to hull #1. Fortunately, after posting here about it, someone was kind enough to exchange survey results that saved me a lot of grief and $$$!
So all I can figure is that maybe hull #2 was sold before hull #1 :?:
But at this point in life it really doesn't matter :!:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

Not a PITA at all, I'm always interested in learning more about my boat. I admittedly am parroting what the previous owner told me. He'd done what seemed to me extensive research and decided that there was no hull #1, that it was a prototype that never left the factory and that hull #2 was the first boat to be finished out and sold. If the boat you saw was in fact hull #1 then more likely he was confused and my boat was actually the third hull produced and the second finished out and sold. It did occur to me that it would require a certain commitment to record keeping to label the first finished boat hull #2 just because there was an unfinished prototype laid up first. Clearly more research is required on my part.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2