Adding an Electrical Power Distribution Panel to a TY Senior

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MHBsailor

Adding an Electrical Power Distribution Panel to a TY Senior

Post by MHBsailor »

My Typhoon Senior came without an electrical system as it was only daysailed before I bought it. I'd like to add a basic electrical 12V electrical system to power nav lights and a VHF radio, and noted that other Cape Dory 22s and Typhoon Seniors that I looked at used the Blue Sea Systems Model 8023 power distribution panel (see attached photos for typical port-side installations). However, when I looked at an 8023 at Defender last month in person it seemed like the back extended too deep to fit into the small gap between the hull liner and the back of the cabin house on my TY Senior. Then I looked closer at the photos and noticed that the surrounding liner looks like it projects in the area where the panel goes, whereas mine is flat, so I am concerned that I don't have enough depth to mount an 8023 panel. I'm wondering if the factory had a different liner (or added an extension) to accommodate the extra depth required if it came with an 8023 power panel.

Could anyone who has a CD22 or TY Senior please post a photo of what their electrical power distribution panel looks like (except for Brian M who already sent me a pic of his)? While the upper photo looks like the mount is molded into the hull liner (1985 TY SR), the bottom photo looks like the panel mount is separate and was affixed to the hull liner 1987 TY SR). If it is definitely a separate piece, then I imagine that the factory probably used something commercially available off-the-shelf, in which case it should be possible to find one somewhere. Thanks and Happy New Year! JD
Attachments
IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1888.JPG (181.1 KiB) Viewed 337 times
IMG_20181013_124812(2).JPG
IMG_20181013_124812(2).JPG (66.25 KiB) Viewed 338 times
Last edited by MHBsailor on Jan 2nd, '19, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
MHB Sailor
Gary H

Re: Adding an Electrical Power Distribution Panel to a TY Se

Post by Gary H »

On my 22D, the panel is mounted in a section of wall liner that is kitty corner on the port rear corner of the cabin. This may have been built like this just for this purpose. You could always build a teak frame that would support the panel providing the depth you need.

No photo available as it is winter.
CDSOA Member 1389
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

This might be more than you have in mind, but it is easy to build a wooden box for the panel, or just a frame as suggested.
AC Panel.JPG
AC Panel.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 304 times
Here is a section drawn thru the bulkhead showing the attachment and wiring path.
Section Thru AC Panel.jpg
Section Thru AC Panel.jpg (871.97 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Tim, that's really nice! Looks like you stained the teak? JD
MHB Sailor
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

NarragansettSailor wrote:Tim, that's really nice! Looks like you stained the teak? JD
No stain, that is just some 40 year old teak that I have been saving for special projects like this. I did seal the teak with some wipe on poly from Minwax.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27