CD 28 150 Gen Sheets

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

D n L

CD 28 150 Gen Sheets

Post by D n L »

I am picking up a 150 Gen for the CD28 - what are folks using for sheet length, style and line diameter to properly handle this sail ? Thanks In Advance...
BernieA

Re: CD 28 150 Gen Sheets

Post by BernieA »

I use about 60 ft of 5/8 double braid. Works well for me. It's on a furler which allows enough to fully furl and still take a couple turns on the Winchesters and clear off.

Bernie
CD28. S/V Pinafore
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The Cape Dory manual calls for a 7/16" X 35' Genoa sheet. You could go a bit longer by 5' to allow for a few wraps on the furler and a bit more of a tail. You obviously don't want the sheets to be too short but excessive length will just create more of a mess in the cockpit. The 7/16" diameter is more for providing a good grip than to meet the strength requirement. I went down to 3/8" line on Raven and have not problem handling the sheets. I use a 5/16" line for my spinnaker sheets. The lighter line helps in light air conditions. Bigger lines are easier to handle, with 7/16" being the norm for what feels good in your hand. Anything larger is overkill. The lines of today are much stronger than what were available when our boats were originally made, Steve.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I checked the Samson catalog and they are recommending a selection of 3/8" lines for cruising or cruising/racer Genoa sheets. They go down to 1/4" for high tech lines recommended for serious racing. Those 1/4" are most likely for much lighter boats and guys with vise grips for hands. If you go up to 35' boats they are still only calling for 7/16" line. Look at the spec sheets of whichever line manufacturer you plan to go with to see which of their lines they recommend for the task you intend to use it for. Stretch, abrasion resistance and feel are all considerations beyond length and size, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>> You could go a bit longer by 5' to allow for a few wraps on the furler and a bit more of a tail.<<

I like enough length so that I can put a figure 8 knot in the line as a stopper, a couple of feet from the end. The stopper keeps the line from running through the block, of course, but with the extra tail, I can reach the line from the cockpit.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
rorik

Post by rorik »

For both of my jibs and my Code 0, I used Samson Ultra Lite.
7/16" for the jibs, 3/8" for the Code 0.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.