Awlgrip Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jneely

Awlgrip Question

Post by jneely »

I am considering having the topsides of our CD27 Troika professionally painted with Awlgrip. I would welcome all comments regarding any experiences with this paint. I am particularly interested in how long it can be expected to look good and what maintenance is entailed with it.
pete faga

Re: Awlgrip Question

Post by pete faga »

Any chance the hull can be wet sanded and buffed out by a pro?
My mooring neighbor cd is a 74 and the hull looks great . Cape Dory gel coat seem to hold up well.
As far as awlgrip goes my hull lasted about 15 years looking fine. No maintenance except they have a awlwash that protects the awlgrip.
Awlgrip did not want you to wax the hull back then. You could check there website for instructions.
Good luck on keeping another CD looking like new.
Pete
jneely

Post by jneely »

Thank you. Pete. Our topsides until recently looked great except for some small gelcoat bumps of unknown origin. (In ten years they have remained the same.) However, the boat was damaged at the dock during a recent storm. Lots of gelcoat damage on the starboard quarter. My fiberglass guy, who is a miricle worker, says the repair will be straight forward, but it will be difficult to match the color. Hence the thought of painting with Awlgrip. A bonus would be no more compounding and waxing every spring. What does using the Alwash entail?
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Post by Doug Gibson »

While not the entire topsides, I had the boot stripe painted about 15 years ago (forest green). While it doesn't get much UV exposure at the waterline, (or at latitude 38 for that matter) it has held up very well. Awlgrip makes two products for maintenance:

- Awlwash: I've never used this. I just use normal boat soap. Probably would use if entire topsides are painted.

- Awlcare: a hand-applied synthetic polymer. I used this once a year and it protects and renews that deep gloss / color.

Should never use abrasives, conventional waxes or power equipment on Awlgrip.

I've dreamed of painting the entire topsides Forest Green (or even Navy Blue), but the old gel coat still buffs out and way too many other upgrades to spend boat bucks on!
Doug Gibson