SOLD: CD-36 in VA - $35,000

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

SOLD: CD-36 in VA - $35,000

Post by mashenden »

Edited 10/28/2020
With mixed emotions I report that Nautica has sold :) :(

Its time to get my Typhoon seaworthy. I simply cannot be without a Cape Dory or two in my fleet.

Edited 09/13/2020:

RECENTLY COMPLETED (2020):
  • Bottom painted with high copper paint
  • Hull compounded and waxed
  • Cabinets replaced in galley, to include original drawer fronts and a wine rack
  • Cockpit coamings sanded and finished with 3 coats of Cetol - Looks awesome!!!
Not to forget the newer Yanmar (less than 400 hrs), new 12v fridge, and complete electrical system upgrade to name a few of the more significant upgrades from recent years.

Currently she is in the water in Urbanna VA.

First $35,000 takes her. Call me if interested - I can be reached at 804-514-3926.

---------------------

DETAILS:

Vessel Name: Nautica, built in 1983. Hull #84.

Features:
  • Engine:
    • Yanmar 38 HP diesel with a Kanzaki gearbox, dripless shaftlog, and the motor bed, all professionally installed in 2003. Low hours (approx 400). Starts on the first turnover every time, even when cold. This is an important differentiator when comparing Nautica to other boats on the market.
    • Dual Racor fuel filters with switch over valve so that replacement can wait until timing is better.
    • Vacuum gauge on meter panel that shows filter condition.
    • Fresh water flush/winterization valve
  • Electrical - Completely redone in 2013:
    • Separate AC and DC panels by Blue Seas. The original panel had everything in one - That was way too much power crammed into one area. Not a good idea!!
    • Replaced all wiring with marine grade wiring everywhere except to the cabin lights, which were converted to LED.
    • House batteries new in 2019 - Duracell deep cell golf cart batteries. Starting battery was also replaced at the same time.
    • ProMariner 1240P 40 Amp 3 Bank Battery Charger new in 2019
    • Power meters; Balmar SmartGauge (best gauge ever!) and Victron BMV-702S.
    • 80 amp Hitachi alternator
    • Isolation transformer - reduces galvanization and stray currents that have been known to electrocute swimmers when plugged into shore power.
    • SmartPlug cord and plug that include enhanced safety features (larger contacts, better clasp, thermal protection) as compared to the yellow power cords from the past.
  • Electronics:
    • Raymarine RL70C radar/chart plotter mounted at the steering station. Much more convenient to actually use and notice things.
    • B&G depth finder also at steering station
    • Alpha Spectra autopilot – Ram drive. Great reputation as a solid design but noticed that it needs calibrated (or possibly the new fridge is causing it to not stay on course).
    • ICOM IC-M402 VHF radio located at Plotting table, with a remote mic and controls at the steering station
    • Engine gauges were also relocated to the steering pedestal
  • Galley:
    • 12 volt, top loading fridge/freezer (Engel MB40V-D) installed in 2016 – Sips electricity. The large ice box is also still in place. Still usable as an icebox or for storage.
    • Force 10 Oven/Stove
    • Propane system was recently upgraded to include 2 tanks in a locker that vents overboard, and also serves as a helm seat.
    • Propane switch and Xintex S-2A fume detector.
    • Includes a Magma BBQ on stern rail and a microwave in the galley
    • I added a folding teak table just forward of the galley for added space when cooking or serving meals. This really made a difference on longer trips.
    • The main dining table is also solid teak, mounted to the forward bulkhead in the main saloon. It folds out of the way when not in use.
  • Accommodations: Sleeps 6
    • 2 in the V Berth. The mattress topper makes it very comfortable.
    • 2 in the berth to port - Also very comfortable because it pulls out and the seat-back folds up to make a large double, almost queen size area.
    • 1 in the berth to starboard - Opens up like the other one, but not quite as much
    • 1 in the quarter berth
  • Sails:
    • Main was inspected and reconditioned (2017/2018) - Dutchman System furling lines were replaced at this time
    • Both jib sails were reconditioned (2019). UV protection was replaced at that time.
    • Spare main sail
    • Spinnaker - I'm told its in good condition, but have never used it.
    • Sail cover new in 2016. Cape Dory emblem on sides.
  • Bilge pumps - Qty 3:
    • All 3 bilge pumps were redone in recent years with safety/reliability a priority
    • Two are large capacity pumps with Jabsco Hydro Air switches. These switches are designed so that they cannot get fouled up because they do not reside in the bilge. Lower pump is enclosed in a strainer.
    • Includes a Water Witch BC100 cycle counter
    • Pump #2 includes a 100 dB alarm - The idea being if it is running, everyone needs to know!!
    • The 3rd pump is under the engine bed, controlled by a float switch as well as a manual switch.
  • Other:
    • Traveler hardware replaced with Garhauer Stainless Steel ends in 2015. 3:1 purchase system added to make adjusting possible under any conditions. Notably better than the stock system that could not be adjusted much.
    • Bimini was inspected and re-stitched in 2017.
    • Dodger included that I have never used, but appears to be in like new condition.
    • Lifelines replaced in 2017
    • Running rigging replaced in 2013, except Genny sheets
    • Standing rigging replaced in 2009
    • Simpson Lawrence 555 Windless, a double action, manual unit with two (2) 35 lb CQR plow anchors. 100’+ chain on both. One chain needs to be replaced, shortened, or reversed.
    • Head converted to an electric macerator in 2014, which eliminated the chance of people leaving the valve open, letting water into the bilge.
    • Rotary Aire air conditioner with heat pump. Runs great
    • Marine grade water heater with engine loop. Needs thermostat installed – part included.
    • CO2 and Smoke detectors new in 2016
    • Bronze dorade vents new in 2016 - Boat bling!
    • Teak framed hatch screens. Also I found the port screens
    • Recent add - Mahogany boarding ladder with bronze mounting hardware on port and starboard sides.
    • Folding teak cockpit table, with drink holders and blue LED lights underneath for mood lighting (high tech meets traditional)
    • Outboard motor hoist and mounting pad included - Dingy and outboard motor are not included.
    • Spare kit with impeller, belts, filters, etc
Known issues: The gel coat has cracks that is a common characteristic of Cape Dory boats. Apparently when made CD put the gel coat down too thick. It is not structural in any way - cosmetic. I have purchased the non-skid that will address the decks. Large roller furler needs lubricated. Also the back-up bilge pump hose needs to be ran aft to a thru-hull (parts all included).

Nautica has proven to be a very reliable and seaworthy boat. In addition to the occasional short sails with family and friends, each year 2 of my buddies would take a Fall sail in the Chesapeake Bay. Given the time of year these trips always included some white knuckle sailing. She never left us disappointed. I don't think you can go wrong with the CD-36 - She fulfilled a dream of mine, and I have no regrets.

We are located in Urbanna, Virginia. See my webcam link, below. Except when on the hard, Nautica front and center on the "Urbanna" tab.

[Edit - Pics added below.]
Last edited by mashenden on Oct 28th, '20, 08:49, edited 48 times in total.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Re: For Sale: CD-36 in Virginia

Post by mashenden »

Here are some pics:

White knuckle sailing in the Fall of 2017 while heading from Urbanna to Yorktown:

Recent pic (2017) of her Port side at dock in Urbanna - Note her new sail cover:

Starboard side while hunkered down for the night in Deltaville, Fall of 2016 when heading from Urbanna to Cape Charles

Fall of 2015 - Land HO!!! - Approaching Tangier Island with a favorable lift - The jibs have been reconditioned since then:

Starboard side - Close up:

Interior looking fwd:

Interior looking aft (note the new AC panel behind the orange strobe and new DC breaker panel with meters):

Traveler and Bronze Dorades (aka boat eye candy):

Engle 12V Fridge/Freezer installed in 2016 - Awesome addition for cruising (rubber chicken would not convey :D ):

Recent pic (2017) at anchor in Carters Creek - Using the boarding ladder for a swim:

Departing Oriental NC in 2013 to bring her to Urbanna:

Splash in Oriental NC after an extensive overhaul of the electrical system and cleaning after fire on board:

Capt Matt at the helm, with Brother-in-Law:

The REAL Capt - Also the propane locker/helm seat (or lean to) is visible:
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

russkendall

Post by russkendall »

Matt:

My wife and I are looking to move up from the CD 30 we've sailed for 13 years. She's a carpenter, so rebuilding cabinets would not be too big a deal. Interested in learning more about the fire and your price. Please PM me at russkendall@aol.com.

Thanks,

-Russ
Bellingham, WA
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

russkendall wrote:Matt:

My wife and I are looking to move up from the CD 30 we've sailed for 13 years. She's a carpenter, so rebuilding cabinets would not be too big a deal. Interested in learning more about the fire and your price. Please PM me at russkendall@aol.com.

Thanks,

-Russ
Bellingham, WA
Russ,

Sorry I missed your post until now. I just sent you an e-mail response.
Matt Ashenden

Sonar

Post by Sonar »

Beautiful boat! Sorry if I missed it but what is your for sale price? Thank you!
flyboy5724

Post by flyboy5724 »

I live in the Oriental area and I am interested in your CD 36. I currently own a CD 28 and CD 25. I been looking for a 33 or 36. I see you had the repairs completed at Deaton Yacht Service, I work with them everyday. My office is next to the yard. Please contact me about further details at scott.pickard@st-barts.com thank you.
Attachments
E22C26AB-26EA-4E63-8225-D338897FB4F0.jpeg
E22C26AB-26EA-4E63-8225-D338897FB4F0.jpeg (357.51 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Sonar wrote:Beautiful boat! Sorry if I missed it but what is your for sale price? Thank you!
I am asking $51,000 (edit: $45,000, edit: Open to offers), but the asking price will go up in the Spring, once I do some of the cosmetic woodwork and cleaning.

Based on what I have found, there are some CD-36s on the market that are priced lower, but most are the first design, which do not have the same quality interior in terms of the workmanship. Nautica is the 2nd design.

Of the CD-36s on the market that are the same era ('82 to '84, maybe first part of '85), the prices seems to be around $64,000. And they all have their original motors. The only one I have found that is lower ($40K) is in Trinidad and Tobago.

Anyhow, my main point in sharing what I have found on the market is to show that mine is priced to be the best value on the market.

Hopefully others agree.
Last edited by mashenden on Dec 14th, '19, 11:34, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Ashenden

mashenden

Post by mashenden »

After further consideration and in reviewing some additional information that was provided to me about Asking and more importantly Sale prices of comparable CD-36s, I believe that I have Nautica priced too high as a private sale.

While my asking price was in line with others, people tend to start too high, so hopefully I am going to "cut to the chase" by lowering my price to $45,000. This does not leave much room for offers though.

If I can't get $45,000 I'll keep her for a few more years. Retirement is around the corner and I will likely get more use from her once that happens.

If you are interested, please reach out to me.
Matt Ashenden

Martinhilldpo

Re: For Sale: CD-36 in Virginia - $45,000

Post by Martinhilldpo »

Just wondering if this boat is still on the market?
Carpe Diem!

Martin H. Vancouver Island.
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Martinhilldpo wrote:Just wondering if this boat is still on the market?
Yep, it sure is (still only on this forum, so pricing does not yet have to consider brokerage fees)
Matt Ashenden

Martinhilldpo

Post by Martinhilldpo »

Would you be so kind as to email me privately? martinhilldpo@gmail.com.
Thank you.
Carpe Diem!

Martin H. Vancouver Island.
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Martinhilldpo wrote:Would you be so kind as to email me privately? martinhilldpo@gmail.com.
Thank you.
If you did not get my private e-mail, please let me know.
Matt Ashenden

mashenden

Re: For Sale: CD-36 in Virginia - $45,000 OBO

Post by mashenden »

Bump. She is still available, if interested. The plan is to haul her out late summer and do the bottom, then either be more aggressive in listing her in the Spring or take her off the market and use her. I am on the fence about which way to go :) Decisions, decisions!!

If interested, please make an offer.
Matt Ashenden

mashenden

Re: For Sale: CD-36 in VA - Offers Welcome

Post by mashenden »

Nautica is officially on the market!!

I am definitely a motivated seller given that we have found a trawler we would like to purchase.

Compared to other CD-36s on the market, the new Yanmar sets Nautica aside from the others. There are many other upgrades as well, as detailed in the updated post (Link: http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... 91#p202494)

Nautica is currently on the hard if you would like to look at her underside. I plan to let her dry out, paint the bottom, and launch again in early Spring.

Please feel free to make any reasonable offers.
Matt Ashenden

mashenden

Re: For Sale: CD-36 in VA - Offers Welcome

Post by mashenden »

Bump - Nautica did not sell using a local broker. Honestly, I am very surprised given we were $20K lower than others on YW, and competitive with others on the private market, particularly given all of the upgrades. I guess the gel coat issue is hard for people to look past.

She is still for sale, but now by owner. First $35K will take her. I have edited my original post with the details: http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36191

Next project will be the non-skid on the decks.

She has been a great boat to cruise the Chesapeake and has the backbone to do bluewater sailing to the islands as well.

8 oh 4-514-3926
Matt Ashenden