Outboard Motor to fit the well of my 25CD

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bfrance

Outboard Motor to fit the well of my 25CD

Post by bfrance »

I need a new Outboard for my 25CD. I am having trouble finding a motor that fits the well. Based on info I have been reading on the board a 6hp Tohatso sailpro will fit the bill however getting the motor into the well with the tiller seems impossible based on what I can see of the dimensions and the tiller configuration. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob
mgphl52

Re: Outboard Motor to fit the well of my 25CD

Post by mgphl52 »

On my last CD25 I kept a Tohatso 6hp (not sailpro as I recall, but a long shaft) peacefully resting on the cabin sole until absolutely needed.
Never had any trouble getting it or out of the well.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
casampson

Post by casampson »

I have a Tohatsu 6 hp Sailpro in my CD 25. I am not wild about it, as I find it noisy. It fits in the well ok, except for two things. First, the tiller arm extends beyond the lazarette while operating. It an be folded back when you are not using the motor and the cover is closed, but I wish I could close the cover while running the motor because it is, as I said, somewhat noisy. Second, the front of the motor sticks out just enough so that I cannot close the sliding cover that leads into the bottom of the cockpit. This isn't a big deal, but I hear the sloshing of the water in the well while sailing, which I find a little annoying. I am going to try to figure out some sort of alternate cover for next year. I have included a photo of my motor in the well. Hope you find it helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bfrance

Post by bfrance »

casampson wrote:I have a Tohatsu 6 hp Sailpro in my CD 25. I am not wild about it, as I find it noisy. It fits in the well ok, except for two things. First, the tiller arm extends beyond the lazarette while operating. It an be folded back when you are not using the motor and the cover is closed, but I wish I could close the cover while running the motor because it is, as I said, somewhat noisy. Second, the front of the motor sticks out just enough so that I cannot close the sliding cover that leads into the bottom of the cockpit. This isn't a big deal, but I hear the sloshing of the water in the well while sailing, which I find a little annoying. I am going to try to figure out some sort of alternate cover for next year. I have included a photo of my motor in the well. Hope you find it helpful.
Thanks for the photo and information it confirms my concerns. I will keep you posted on my findings.
Best Wishes,
Bob
bfrance

Post by bfrance »

Thanks for the photo and info. I am new to the "board" so still figuring out how to navigate through email. You have confirmed my concerns so I will continue to search for a more appropriate solution. I will keep you posted. Is there a way to get a copy of the photo so that I can pass this along to the local marina, to show them what I am dealing with?
Best Wishes,
Bob
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

bfrance wrote:Is there a way to get a copy of the photo so that I can pass this along to the local marina, to show them what I am dealing with?
Since minor modifications were done through the years, you would best be served by taking pictures of *your* boat.
You also make some adjustments to how high and where the engine sits by moving the transom board. I did this with my last CD25 mainly because the existing board was iffy and the angle brackets were too small for my liking...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

I fabbed a slightly thicker but notched mounting board to drop the height enough for the cover to close.
Tohatsu offers remote/cable operated controls that you can mount in the cockpit.
Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

Post by Ben Coombs »

We have a 73 CD25 and our 6 fits nicely in the well. We do close the lid when motoring for more than a few minutes. We just flip the tiller arm back and steer with the boat’s tiller. I only turn the motor itself while docking. It works like a stern thruster, or extra steerage in tight spaces.

I wish our well had the hull liner in it. I have contemplated boxing in the space around the motor, even with the top of the mount. I would hope it would help keep the stern from bogging down while motoring. I have also wondered if I could keep some water out of the well by making a “dog door” in the transom. I wouldn’t be able to tilt the motor up, but may minimize the water in the well...
Ben Coombs
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Hi Ben
Are you keeping the drain plug out while your sailing?
We share the same type of well and the only advantage ? Is that the hatch cover is smaller!
Pete
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Ben/Pete
I bought #68 new back in 73. One of my first modifications was to put shelves in the engine space
The shelves were plywood and and fiberglassed. I filled the space under them with two part foam. This reduced the amount of water that collected there and gave me a good place to secure the gas tanks.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

Post by Ben Coombs »

Glad to hear that there is hope for the stern bogging down! There is no plug for the drain hole on ours, although I’m curious... did you ask because the plug should be in? Or out? It doesn’t strike me as making a difference either way. But worth the ask.

So. Two projects for this year. A new seahood and buoyancy in the well! And maybe some support under the cockpit... perhaps a new icebox under the cockpit sole? I think that one requires a new thread. I’ll get in that after flushing out some ideas.
Ben Coombs
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Hi Ben
I leave the plug out. If the well fills with the plug in the water has no please to go.
Sometimes I still get water in the well and if I come about it drains out!
Jim’s modifications would at least keep the gas tank high and dry and secure. Wonder what hull number Cape Dory changed to the well liner?
Will try to remember in the spring to send you a picture of my well.
Pete