CD330 ballast

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

distand

CD330 ballast

Post by distand »

After 5+ years of enjoying a CD31 I took the plunge and purchased a CD330. She just recently arrived from Whitehall, MI to my homeport in Noank, CT. The picture is of Slainte, soon to be Dove Tale, leaving Crosswinds Marina in Whitehall, MI headed east.

After poking around some I noticed that additional lead ballast bricks seem to have been added in the bilge (basically under the cabin table). I say "seem" because I'm not 100% sure that these bricks are not original. Is anyone familiar with why ballast may have been needed on the 330's? Are there any 330's owners with similar "modifications"? Perhaps it was just a prior owner's personal preference to lessen heel or something.

Thanks
IMG_2401.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Re: CD330 ballast

Post by Doug Gibson »

Some 33's and 36's were out of trim port-starboard (typically listing to port) when empty. The factory actually provided a retrofit kit to add 200 pounds to starboard side (outboard of settee). Sounds like your lead bricks are center line versus outboard? I have not heard of the factory adding ballast to adjust fore/aft trim. Perhaps the previous owner wanted a stiffer boat and added the weights.
Doug Gibson
K Chiswell

Post by K Chiswell »

Our 330 doesn’t have any additional lead ballast and there is no sign there ever was any.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I think there was some discussion about this a few months ago. maybe you already saw it. Its under re balancing the keel on a CD31
Last edited by JD-MDR on Sep 26th, '18, 08:11, edited 2 times in total.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

To right a list in my 28, Cape Dory added a battery shelf on the starboard side and encapsulated about 70 lbs of lead into the base.
I also found six lead bricks (they look like bricks and were painted red), under the starboard settee.

I subsequently moved the fuel tank from port to starboard and placed all batteries on the starboard side.
I'll probably keep the extra lead in the bilge for now. Maybe sometime in the future, a Cape Dory 28 owner will wonder why it is there! :wink:

Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Our 33 will take on a slight list to port when the starboard fresh water tank goes empty. I can always tell when we are running low on water. It is not a big issue but I do plan to remove the berth next year after I go all chain rode and put about 120lbs of the old chain down in the space outboard of the tank on the starboard side. I am adding chain weight to the bow too as she has always sat a little down at the stern.
Paul
CDSOA Member
distand

Post by distand »

Thanks for all of the responses. I am planning to remove the extra ballast and will see how she sails without it. I can always put it back on if I really miss the extra weight.

Don
Don
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

Don -
I can't imagine you'll miss the extra weight one bit. I moved to my 330 from a Hobie 16 which is as weight sensitive and responsive as a motorcycle. I was (still am) extremely surprised to note how much the 330 responded to weight shifts underway -- particularly when singlehanding -- if I move forward (amidships) it dramatically changes the sailset and attitude of the hull. Get out in some open water and spend an afternoon watching how the boat responds when you move around . . ..
Matt