Tips on Solo Sailing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

pvisich

Tips on Solo Sailing

Post by pvisich »

Have a CD 22 with a roller furling and would like to start sailing it on my own. Would appreciate any tips and what people have done to modify their boat to make it easier to sail by oneself. Thanks, Paul
Dasein

Re: Tips on Solo Sailing

Post by Dasein »

Hi Paul,

I have only sailed my CD 25 single handed, and I've found that a small Raymarine ST1000 Autohelm is invaluable for taking over steering when hoisting the sails or needing to leave the helm periodically. You can also rig up a short line or bungee to hold the tiller centered, if you're on a budget.

Running the main halyard aft so it can be accessed without leaving the cockpit is a nice addition. Initially I thought this would require affixing a winch to the cabin top, but I found that a simple cam cleat atop the cabin was sufficient. I sailed many times without this configuration, but when the sea state gets up I like the safety aspect.

Lastly, my boat had lazy jacks installed prior to my purchasing the boat, and it's nice to just drop the main without having it drop off the boom or blow all over the place.

One note: if you have the original cleats for the jib sheets aft of the winches, the proper diameter line should allow you to just wrap the line once around the base of the cleat and it will pinch itself. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I made the mistake of replacing the sheets with a narrower diameter, and now I need to add an additional loop on the cleat to fix the line each time I tack (which adds time and complicates the process).

All that said, a CD 25 (and I imagine the 22) is fairly straightforward to sail without any of the above, but they are nice additions to simplify the process.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

another vote for a tiller pilot ...
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Before adding/changing *anything*... you really should just simply "go sailing"...

The more you sail, the better you will learn your boat.
Things like tiller pilots may sound nice but do you really sail long distances with little or no course/wind changes?
Routing halyards aft also include disadvantages such as the need for longer halyards and extra hardware as well as more friction when raising or lowering sails.

I really believe you should sail her just as she is for at least one season before making any modifications.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

I added these and they are great.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=899512
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

Chrisa006 wrote:I added these and they are great.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=899512
Glad to hear this. I've looked into these but wasn't sure if they would work on the CD winches.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

I'm early on in the learning curve of using my CD 27 solo, but one thing from my private pilot days is serving me well. Think ahead of the boat. If you've already thought about what you need to do in a certain point in space and time, and are organized for that, things go better for you. FWIW, I have my main halyard at the mast because I need to go up there for the topping lift anyway, and it gives me fewer things to step on on the cabin top.

Chair flying also used to help. Just mentally going through certain techniques at home and committing them to memory. YMMV, but it kept me a safe pilot for a decade.

So, yes, a second vote for just using the boat, getting your brain up to speed, and making notes of what works and doesn't work.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

I'd second or third the suggestion to install "winchers." I used them for years on my 25D. I recently upgraded to full self-tailing winches, but that's more because of my declining arm strength. The Winchers worked well for a long time.

Also, you may not need a tiller pilot, but it does help.

Learn to heave-to, and practice doing so. It will help you reef underway should you need to.

But most of all, just start doing it.

Best,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

On the safety side, I would add: get a comfortable life jacket. If you fall off of the boat when single handing, no one is there to turn around and pick you up.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

Excellent suggestion Michael! Learn your boat and how it sails with minimal sail and helm adjustment - try to balance the sails so she sails herself then try a length of shock cord wrapped around the tiller and anchored to each jib sheet cleat. Then let her sail while you walk around (always with a life jacket and/or safety harness). Eventually you will KNOW you boat and be able to decide what you need next. Safety harness and places to attach it, man overboard ladder easily tripped from the water, Remember to reef (main and genny) well before you think you need to. Then you can start to equip the boat for serious single-handed sailing! CD22 - my dream boat for post retirement!!!
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

BTW... I solo sail a lot... when I bought KAYLA (the first time...) in 2002, she came with an Autohelm tiller pilot. I used it twice. I find it far simpler to to trim sails for the wind and when balanced, use a sail tie to "hold a course" while I wander around the boat, take care of nature or enjoy the ride.
Here's an exampe:
simple_pilot.jpg
When all is good, you can go to the bow and make course (minor) adjustments simply by shifting your weight to port or starboard. No extra hardware, wiring, etc.. just a sail tie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

The less often you leave the cockpit to go forward, the more dangerous that journey will be when you have no choice.

An autopilot is nice for sail raising, for taking a quick break to grab something from below, or for relief from otherwise long periods at the helm.

In total agreement with Joe; learn to heave to. Do it when you don't need to and practice it in between crew overboard and fire drills.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Paul- If you're on a mooring, a pick up buoy is a handy thing to have. Running up forward with a boat hook trying to snag
a mooring ball is not easy alone. I tried it in a strong wind once - gripped the boat hook too tight and went overboard. I
managed to clamber aboard just before careening into somebody's boat. Good luck with your new boat- Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

I mostly sail alone and even when not, usually it is with a land lubber (that would be my wife) of little boating use so might as well be alone.

First, the tiller pilot is essential. I carry a spare as well as they are not so reliable. In heavy conditions, I will fire up the engine, point her into the waves and wind, set the tiller pilot, and go forward to take down or reef a sail.

Secondly, but more importantly, solo sailing it is less about hardware modifications than the skill set and knowing what to do and what to avoid. This is a matter of preparation, planning, and lots of practice until you have it down.

For example, setting two anchors in a restricted anchorage in a cross breeze. Lots can go wrong, fast. So practice in an open anchorage with light breeze, practice with two anchors, practice with one, setting, retrieval, etc. Then refine your skills and preparation until it smooths out. As your confidence increases, you can try tighter quarters, more cross wind, etc.

Reefing, dousing the sail, switching sails, etc. in heavy seas is another one. Practice on a mild day, even though there is no need. Then do it again of a breezy day. Finally, try it when it is really blowing, the deck is awash, and the bow is like a bronco and you are on your knees hanging on. You find out what works for you and what doesn't.

Good Luck,
Steve Bernd
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

I further support the dictum of knowing your boat.
A gadget in crunch time won't save your hide, but
knowledge, prudence and lots and lots of experience will.
Here is an easy one: Many novice sailors when dropping anchor
find that their anchor line is a tangled mess.
Learn how to flake your line in a figure 8 fashion, or another regimen
of your choosing so that you have a fool proof drop, and make sure the
end is secured so that you don't loose it.
You would be surprised at how many anchors this diver on the Chesapeake board
retrieves and sells in a season.
Fair wind
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam