1974 Cape Dory 25 - outboard well removed????

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

74CD25

1974 Cape Dory 25 - outboard well removed????

Post by 74CD25 »

Hi, I purchased a 1974 CD25 and in the lazarette/outboard well, on others' boats I see a fiberglass 'liner' with a shelf on the right and left and a mount for the outboard in the middle. On my boat it has a wooden slat contraption with an outboard mount on the forward end and slat shelves on the left and right that sit about 5 inches above the hull. I'm trying to figure out if any CD25s were made this way, or if at some point something happened to mine (fire in the outboard well?) that prompted the previous owner to remove the whole 'well'.

Any CD25 owners have the wooden contraption that I've noted above in the outboard well versus the fiberglass 'liner'? I think that 1974 was the first year CD produced the 25 versus Allied Greenwich and wondered if it was an Allied setup before CD maybe changed it to a fiberglass molded liner/well?

Thanks, Jonathan.
mgphl52

Re: 1974 Cape Dory 25 - outboard well removed????

Post by mgphl52 »

My guess is a previous owner made the modifications. Cape Dory actually started making CD25 in 1972, according to the spec page.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
74CD25

Post by 74CD25 »

I'm thinking I may have found my answer...the following website:

https://www.boatbuilding.xyz/sailboats- ... ilors.html

...notes the following: "...and the open motorwell could scoop water underway, slowing the boat and gradually filling the motorwell. As one owner observed, "It did get rather exciting when the gas cans floated up and turned over as the well filled." (If the motor were removed, a flush plug could be inserted.)..."

That would lead me to think that earlier CDs had an 'open' well similar to what I'm seeing in mine.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I'm very confused. My former CD25 never experienced anything close to what that article refers to. I sailed with a family of five in following seas, in current, and heavy boat wakes from the stern. We would get splash, but never once had "floating gas cans". Maybe the old Greenwich 24 had these problems, but this is the first I have ever heard of this problem with the CD25. I'd be curious to hear from other CD25 owners whether his has happened to them.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

Carl Thunberg wrote:I'm very confused. My former CD25 never experienced anything close to what that article refers to. I sailed with a family of five in following seas, in current, and heavy boat wakes from the stern. We would get splash, but never once had "floating gas cans". Maybe the old Greenwich 24 had these problems, but this is the first I have ever heard of this problem with the CD25. I'd be curious to hear from other CD25 owners whether his has happened to them.

I had similar thoughts, Carl. I will say that Cassandra does best with a bit of weight in the vee berth, but even without, nothing as described.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

The early 25s didn't have any liner in the motor well. On mine (#68), I put two shelves and filled under them with foam before glassing them. I also put strap eyes in for lashings. Yes the gas cans would occasionally float and even turn over. I sent a letter and pictures to Cape Dory and got a nice thank you in return. Sometime after this the liner was added.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Interesting. So, the liner was not original to the design. I learned something today.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
74CD25

Post by 74CD25 »

Jim Davis, you are THE MAN!!! I feel like a mystery in my life from the old show 'In Search Of' has been solved!!! I also like your suggestion of some foam-filled bunkers on each side...I've done fiberglass work and that should be a straightforward job. Thank you so much!!!