"Leoma" windlass

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

JD-MDR

"Leoma" windlass

Post by JD-MDR »

Lewmar rebuilt my profish 1000 windlass on warranty evan though It was my negligence. The mechanic told me it will break every time if you try to use it as a winch. You have to motor up on the anchor and snub off on a cleat to break the anchor loose. I needed a new gear set and capstan. Its too bad They can't make them better. I guess that's the difference between an anchor winch and a windlass.
I'm on Iverson's waiting list to be on their 14 month waiting list for a new dodger. It will probably take me that long to save.
Still looking at auto pilot systems. I like monitor windvanes $4900 + installation. but I also want something electric to run when motoring or when there is no wind. all that could be $8- $10.000. I probably need to rethink.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
hilbert

Re: "Leoma" windlass

Post by hilbert »

I doubt that's the difference between an anchor winch and a windlass. Neither are designed to pull or hold a 10,000 lb boat against waves, wind and current.
The forces involved are an order of magnitude different from lifting the weight of the anchor and chain out of the water.
The general rule is not to use a windlass to pull a boat forward or hold the boat once the anchor is set (that is what cleats are for).
Martha Lei

Post by Martha Lei »

Leoma
you may be able to lower the total $$$$$$
I just bought an used Monitor, plan to install week from now.
Keep an eye on adds as they come up for sale and the key is what condition they are,if the seller is the original owner then Monitor (Suzy Savage) will have the record on that unit and help you to determine if is worthy.
Then she will give you an estimate of needed parts to adapt to your boat,that helps to make sure your "deal" is ok or better a new unit.
In my case,after buying the unit from a very consciousness boater plus parts from Monitor i am saving over $ 1000.00.
This particular unit looks new and am very happy.
Will post after install.
good luck
PS
install is not that big of a deal,can be done at the dock and actually is encouraged to do it that way.
I installed a Fleming in a previous boat by myself and did not need any help until last step when needed a helper to keep it in place while I tighten the nuts inside.
Last edited by Martha Lei on Jul 14th, '18, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
A Sempre Avanti
Mahalo Plenty
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

JD-MDR
Sorry to hear about your windlass. Glad they are repairing it as a warranty issue. I think some old style manual windlasses could take a greater load than electric ones but that’s just an anecdotal observation. So far, I have had no trouble hauling the Far Reach up to the anchor and breaking it out with our bronze ABI manual windlass. I think it would be no issue either with a Simpson Lawrence 555 Sea Tiger. It’s a hell stroud windlass even though the case is aluminum.

The monitor is a fine vane. After a lot of research I chose the Cape Horn wind vane. It’s been magnificent. Works perfectly, especially for our style boats. It’s about $1000-$1500 less expensive than the monitor. Though the monitor is a top of the line vane too I would not trade my Cape Horn vane. It has been as reliable as the day is long. It’s lighter, simpler, more elegant, and more streamlined and can be connected to the steering quadrant—unlike the monitor. Also, it comes with an adapter to allow a small low amp draw tiller pilot to integrate with the vane’s mechanical leverage to serve as an electric auto pilot. While I think there may be an adapter for the monitor to do the same the tiller pilot is installed in the lazarette out of the weather when used with the Cape Horn. That is, IMO, a real advantage.

The Cape Horn is more complicated to install and takes up a small amount of room in the lazarette.
They are both good vanes, both horizontal servo pendulum systems, but attack the self steering challenge through different designs.

Everything is a compromise. I mention all this just to point out there are alternatives.
Martha Lei

Post by Martha Lei »

Just read Stone comments on Cape Horn and agree entirely with his post.
I was really undecided between Cape Horn and Monitor,the 1000.00 dollars difference in cost was decisive in my case,but I will have been happy with either.
A Sempre Avanti
Mahalo Plenty
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks John, windlass is fixed. I'm at anchor now. I will follow directions and hopefully i will get my use out of it. I definatly will look into the cape horn. Monitor said they will anounce there adaption system soon. Its not out yet. But I like all the points you brought up.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

JD, there is a used Monitor Wind Vane for sale in Marina Del Rey that came off a 30' boat.
Might be a good fit for you.

See at ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/173439264448?ul_noapp=true
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I wonder what I need to be aware of if I purchase a preowned windvane. I think there will be some expense adapting it to my boat and some aren't set up for wheel steering.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

JD-MDR wrote:I wonder what I need to be aware of if I purchase a preowned windvane. I think there will be some expense adapting it to my boat and some aren't set up for wheel steering.
The first thing you need to be aware of is the serial number so you can contact Scanmar to find out when it was built and if it has any maintenance history. You can also ask what will be required to fit it to your boat and see what a wheel adapter will cost. Once you have that information you must inspect the unit to determine its overall condition.
A Monitor windvane is a fantastic piece of equipment. An old, worn out, poorly maintained windvane is a financial liability. Be very careful.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time