Removed hot water heater

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jerzyjoe

Removed hot water heater

Post by jerzyjoe »

I have removed the hot water heater from my CD31 and have no plans to replace it in the immediate future. My question is what to do with the now disconnected hoses. There are two pax hoses which I believe are the hot water supply lines to the head and galley sinks. I have a valve which can isolate the hot water system and I have closed the valve. So I expect that I can just coil these up out of the way until I replace the water heater. But what do I do with the black hose that runs from the coolant fill tank to the water heater (now disconnected)? There is also a black hose that ran between the water heater and the engine where I assume the water/antifreeze mixture came from to heat the fresh water. The last hose runs from the fill tank to the water pump.

Please help with what to do with the black hoses.

Thank you.
Joe
Tom Keevil

Re: Removed hot water heater

Post by Tom Keevil »

While you have the system drained, it might be a good idea to replace it with one piece of new hose. If your hose is in good shape, you could just join the two with a barbed coupler and hose clamps.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Re: Removed hot water heater

Post by CruiseAlong »

I also changed my hot water tank on my CD31. The black hoses at the hot water tank are the engine coolant heating loop within the tank which heats the water. So the engine coolant black supply hose runs from the top of the engine through the hot water tank, out the hot water tank to the overflow tank, from the overflow tank back to the engine. You should find a way to connect the black supply line from the hot water tank directly to the overflow tank or join the two black hoses together which were connected to the hot water tank. I suggest keeping the overflow tank in the circuit since it is the high point of the engine cooling system and purges out any air which might be in the engine cooling loop as well as the pressurized tank which raises the boiling temperature point of the engine coolant and coolant expansion when the engine coolant expands/contracts.
Dana