Transporting a Cape Dory 22

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Transporting a Cape Dory 22

Post by Bill Moore »

My son sailed our CD 22 from Portland, ME to New Orleans. Two days before he left New Orleans for the return trip he was in the University Medical Center for an emergency appendectomy. He has recovered but no longer has the time to sail it all the way back. That means we are stuck with the boat in New Orleans.

We have considered a couple of options:
- Truck it back to Maine. We talked with several trucking companies—the cost is consistently around $4,800.
- Truck it part way, like Jacksonville, then sail the remainder.

Does anyone have suggestions? Perhaps a CD 22 trailer they would rent to us? Or a referral to a trucking company that would come in a bit cheaper? Part of the problem with the transport companies we contacted is that New Orleans to Maine is an unusual route. If there is someone that would do it as a back haul it could be cheaper for us and them both. Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim Walsh

Re: Transporting a Cape Dory 22

Post by Jim Walsh »

Have you considered this route?
https://www.uship.com
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Hi Folks, I’m located in SC and have a tandem-axle trailer that can carry your CD22 back up to Maine. I make fairly frequent trips back up to New England (my home territory!), so could do the haul for significantly less than what you have been quoted! Feel free to contact me via PM or directly at 843-450-2498 anytime. Cheers!
Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Post by Bill Moore »

Jim, --Good idea. We posted a request on uship.
Alan -- I sent you a pm. Thanks!
appletim1

Post by appletim1 »

I have a CD 22 Trailer (purchased in 2015 from Triad) and live in CT. Once my boat goes in June, we might be able to work something out...
Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Post by Bill Moore »

Thanks for the help--this is all set. Alan Stewart has agreed to tow my boat to Maine.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

And tell your son no more epic sails on the CD22! There must a story in here somewhere. . .
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Post by Bill Moore »

Oh yeah! I'm really glad that I made the time to spend a couple of days with him near Charleston on the southbound leg. (Local knowledge tip: T.W. Graham in McClellanville, SC, for the seafood. The shrimp on your plate here came from that boat you see over there...)
Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Post by Bill Moore »

Alan Stewart hauled my CD 22 from New Orleans to Portland, ME. He showed up right on time and did a professional job. I was kept informed of his progress along the entire route. Kudos...

Bill Moore