hoisting and stowrage of outboard motor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Coosaw

hoisting and stowrage of outboard motor

Post by Coosaw »

I am the recent new owner of a CD26. I really like the accessibility of the motor in the well. I sail in salt water and do not leave the foot of the motor in the water when I'm not on board. The motor weighs approx. 60 lbs. and my 75 year old back protest each time I lift the motor. The previous owner stowed the motor by laying it down in the cockpit, which I don't like either. I would very much like to hear from other owners that have motors in a well to see how they handle this problem. Thank you for your responses
Coosaw Rick
pete faga

Re: hoisting and stowrage of outboard motor

Post by pete faga »

Hi Rick
The well has it's advantages and disadvantages.
Transom looks nice without a 6 h.p. motor but the drag of the shaft will not help you in any races.
Sounds like the former owner club raced and had some younger backs to handle the 65lb engine positioning.
I use a long handle brush to clean the shaft from the top of the well and from the inflatable from below and I am in salt water 6 months and water seems to circulate from the impeller o.k
I am ready to take my engine out for replacement or maintance this weekend and will book a appointment with my chiropractor.
Find some strong backs for crew!
Pete
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

Rig a rope cradle to slip over the motor, then add a boom bail on the boom above the motor. Rig a block and tackle to hoist it out of the water. Just an idea from one geezer to another.

Bernie
S/V Pinafore
Coosaw

Post by Coosaw »

Pete & Bernie, Thank you both for your responses to my outboard motor hoist inquiry. Here is my solution to the problem.

My Cape Dory has a mainsheet block with cam cleat on both sides of the cockpit. I unshackle one side from it's deck attachment and top up the boom. Since the boom is too short to provide a vertical lift, I pass one part of the hoisting line through a clip that is attached to the back stay by a short piece of wire Using a West Marine hoisting strap on the outboard (a rope harness would work also), I attach the loose main sheet block. The main sheet blocks have enough purchase power so that with one hand I can hoist away using the block that is still attached to the deck while using my other hand to guide the foot of the motor through the well. To stow the motor, I fashioned a storage board out of a 2 x 8 x4' piece of pine that is long enough to span the lazerette opening. The motor is clamped to the board. To stabilize the board/motor, I have a 1/4" line passing through the top of the outboard ends of the board and tied off to the winch cleats on the coamings. The foot of the motor is lashed to the motor mount board in the well. While hoisting the motor and when it is in it's stowed position the lazerett hatch stays open. I consider that a small price to pay in order to save my back and to keep the foot of the motor out of the water.

Rick
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

Rick,

I was going to try your approach on my CD 26, pretty much for the same reasons. But I scrubbed the idea as too complex and limited, mainly because that shaft still stays in the water while sailing, picking up seaweed, flotsam and the occasional lobster trap buoy - not mention slowing everything down. So I cut a slot in the stern to make it possible to angle the outboard's shaft completely out of the water, whether at rest or under way. When I need the mechanical mainsail, I just lower it into the water, pull the cord and away I go.

To some CDers, this "chopping up" of the CD 26's transom (or any CD transom) is heresy. So I am slated to be on my way to CD perdition whenever I am done sailing, which I hope will be many years in the future. If you have any questions about the particulars of this project, let me know. Otherwise, fair winds and deep waters to you,

Ken
Coosaw

Post by Coosaw »

Ken,
Thank you for your interesting idea. I like the simplicity of your suggestion but at this point I don't think I can put my new boat "under the knife". I will keep it in mind.
Rick
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

Ken Textor wrote:Rick,

I was going to try your approach on my CD 26, pretty much for the same reasons. But I scrubbed the idea as too complex and limited, mainly because that shaft still stays in the water while sailing, picking up seaweed, flotsam and the occasional lobster trap buoy - not mention slowing everything down. So I cut a slot in the stern to make it possible to angle the outboard's shaft completely out of the water, whether at rest or under way. When I need the mechanical mainsail, I just lower it into the water, pull the cord and away I go.

To some CDers, this "chopping up" of the CD 26's transom (or any CD transom) is heresy. So I am slated to be on my way to CD perdition whenever I am done sailing, which I hope will be many years in the future. If you have any questions about the particulars of this project, let me know. Otherwise, fair winds and deep waters to you,

Ken

Ken, could you post a picture of this modification?
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

Chris,

The pictures below should be pretty much self-explanatory. The middle one may be disorienting but it is a shot straight down into the outboard well (modified) as made by Cape Dory. The last one shows the modified hatch over the outboard well, a procedure which wouldn't be necessary if I had this boat in a marina with marina security nearby - i.e. You could leave the hatch open about half way while the outboard is tipped in the up position. The outboard engine head comes forward and up a bit when tipped out of the water, hence the modified hatch. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

Ken
DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

Thanks Ken, very interesting change.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Carl Thunberg

No heresy here.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

This is an elegant solution to a real problem, and very well executed. Nice job!
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Ken,

It also looks like the modified hatch makes a nice elevated seat.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

While the below idea from Pinterest on line doesn't necessarily address all the needs, it is pretty intriguing.

Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Very clever!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Dorothea

Post by Dorothea »

Thanks for the pictures Ken that doesn't look bad at all. Thinking about doing this same thing to mine. Now I'm thinking how can I do this with the boat in the water. lol :)

What model outboard are you running?
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

The outboard I'm using is Tohatsu's 6 h.p. Sailpro, with the extra-long (25") shaft. It works fine, pushes the boat along at about 5 knots in smooth water, negligible headwinds, using about 3/4 throttle. I doubt it will do well in a heavy chop or strong headwinds. But that's not how I use my CD 26. If there is wind, I sail. After I get a full season under my belt, I can give a more extensive report on what this motor can and can't do.

Ken