Cockpit Scuppers

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Skylark

Cockpit Scuppers

Post by Skylark »

Has anyone removed the bronze cockpit scuppers? The ones on my CD 36 weep when it rains and should be rebedded.
rorik

Re: Cockpit Scuppers

Post by rorik »

Mathilda’s scuppers leaked and when I started to remove them, realized that they had actually been bedded with resin into a cone shaped hole.
My solution was to use standard mushroom thru hulls without the debris guard (higher flow) bedded in 4200. On the underside I epoxied an iroko backing plate after making the fiberglass flat.
The hoses had originally run straight down from scupper to thru hull; now they are crossed.
Yes there is a tiny bit of standing water around the scupper now and it does collect a little dirt.
But there’s no chance of a leak now unless the cockpit sole breaks.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

rorik wrote:Mathilda’s scuppers leaked and when I started to remove them, realized that they had actually been bedded with resin into a cone shaped hole.
My solution was to use standard mushroom thru hulls without the debris guard (higher flow) bedded in 4200. On the underside I epoxied an iroko backing plate after making the fiberglass flat.
The hoses had originally run straight down from scupper to thru hull; now they are crossed.
Yes there is a tiny bit of standing water around the scupper now and it does collect a little dirt.
But there’s no chance of a leak now unless the cockpit sole breaks.

Doesn't crossing the hoses lead to them not draining if heeled?
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
rorik

Post by rorik »

Not at all.
When I was 16 my father and I crossed the channel from Old Bursledon to Le Havre in a gale aboard a 36’ Gauntlet.
Her hoses were crossed. Cockpit emptied perfectly.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

I hope they are not bedded with resin. Looks like there is white between the glass and bronze.
rorik

Post by rorik »

In my case things were brittle enough that all I had to do was gently twist and rock from below with a pair of vise grips. I wasn’t concerned about marring the tube portion as I knew they were being replaced.