CD 36 Ice Box Insulation

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Skylark

CD 36 Ice Box Insulation

Post by Skylark »

The CD 36 has great looking ice box. This was completely hidden from me by a PO's effort to insulate. It worked but, was getting ugly and, I finally removed the mess a few days ago. Now I'm looking at ways to insulate, some advice and pictures. The boat has an engine driven SeaFrost system with an air cooled shore power unit. It still works so I hesitate removing it.

The first area I want to take care of is the counter top. I'v always had a problem with condensate forming on the counter and in the cabinet. I'm looking at something called Aerogel. It has a R10/inch vs the R3 to R4 of most foam insulation.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_e57.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_e57.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 308 times
fullsizeoutput_e56.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_e56.jpeg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 308 times
Skylark

Re: CD 36 Ice Box Insulation

Post by Skylark »

Used an Aerogel product called Spaceloft to insulate under the counter top. It has an 3xR factor over styrofoam. Then covered it with PVC sheeting. That should help the major insulation issue, condensate forming on the counter top.

I didn't have the shelves, but the original teak track were still there. So I made some new shelves and a divider out of 1/4" PVC sheet.
Attachments
IMG_2691.JPG
IMG_2691.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 203 times