Size of New Headsail

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lily

Size of New Headsail

Post by Lily »

We are shopping for a new headsail for our Typhoon Weekender and also a furling system. We day sail in midcoast Maine and the summer winds are often very light. Any suggestions on a working jib versus a Genoa 135 (or other size)? Also does anyone have experience with or an opinion on Furlax versus CDI furlers?
Thanks,
Jim and Linda
Carl Thunberg

Re: Size of New Headsail

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Sorry, I can't help you on the headsail, but I have to ask. Where in mid-coast Maine? I'm in Poorhouse Cove, at the head of John's Bay, which is between Pemaquid and Boothbay.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Lily

Post by Lily »

We are moored in the upper Pemaquid River and sailed around John's Bay all last summer - first timers! Our boat is Lily and we live in Sheepscot.
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

I have an older Furlex that the prior owner put on my CD25 and I have been happy with it. As for sail size if you have a lot of light air days go 135 or 150. The joy of the furler is when the wind picks up it is easy to reef. I'm on Long Island Sound and have a 135 which will be changed to a 150 just for that reason.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Jim and Linda,
on my previous 25D I had a 150 jenny which I soon realized was too much sail for the usual conditions in the regions of the eastern half of Casco Bay and eastwards that I sail. While there were certainly days when the 150 was just the ticket, most days required that I furl at least 20%. The result was most days I was sailing a furled headsail that was not of ideal shape and efficiency. I followed up with a 135 and found I was utilizing the full sail much more often and with more satisfying result. Even on the very light days the 135 seemed to push me along nearly as well as the 150. Whether or not this experience will translate to the Typhoon is anyone's guess, but I believe the 135 may be more versatile than the larger sail.

just MHO,

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I'd suggest the 135% for the reasons above and if truly needing a furler going with a CDI Flexible Furler. It has a plastic foil which is much better for raising and lower a mast often. They are proven pretty durable too. Try Sailrite kit for a genny. I sewed one up for our old Typhoon and it was a fun project, half the price, it worked on our home machine (1980's Necchi 535) and set really well.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Farmer Wayne

Post by Farmer Wayne »

Jim and Linda,

I have a Schaefer Furler on my 1975 Typhoon Weekender and a 150% genny. I use it in all wind ranges with great success. If the wind starts to blow 20 I reef the main and leave the genny full. Its a fantastic boat and a real JOY to sail.

Farmer Wayne