covers for interior bunk storage lockers CD TYPHOON

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

TE QUIERO

covers for interior bunk storage lockers CD TYPHOON

Post by TE QUIERO »

I bought a CD TYPHOON that had covers that de laminated due to boat filled with water...boo hoo...need to replace these...is there a pattern? option other than teak plywood...thickness? etc
I have other questions about the boat... in the process of restoring...is this the best place?
Is it necessary to have protection on transom rail from the weight of the engine bracket mount?
Best place to attach a winch handle holder?
Recommendations for compass and placement?
Best ventilation recommendations? top board in companionway is solid...no ventilation forward of mast...I have seen the passive solar fans????
wikakaru

Re: covers for interior bunk storage lockers CD TYPHOON

Post by wikakaru »

OPTIONS OTHER THAN TEAK PLYWOOD
If you aren't concerned with matching the original look, try King StarBoard. A bit pricey but zero maintenance.

PROTECTING TEAK FROM OUTBOARD BRACKET
Yes, protection is necessary. If you don't, the taffrail will crack. Our taffrail was cracked when we bought the boat, so we filled/glued with epoxy before varnishing:
1 Cracking taffrail.jpg
1 Cracking taffrail.jpg (732.9 KiB) Viewed 318 times
I added leather around the bronze like so:
2 Leather to protect teak.JPG
2 Leather to protect teak.JPG (381.56 KiB) Viewed 318 times
The leather mostly just protects the teak from scratching. The vibration of the outboard bracket on the teak, even with the leather, isn't good for the varnish, so I added a small 1x2 block that sits on the fiberglass:
3 Wood block support.jpg
3 Wood block support.jpg (130.54 KiB) Viewed 318 times
RECOMMENDATION FOR COMPASS PLACEMENT
I personally hate putting ANY additional holes in my boat. This is a future project for me, but I plan to cut a mounting board that slides into the companionway like a hatch board to hold my compass.

That might be an appropriate place for your winch handle holder, too, if you want to fit one. However, I find the boat is such a joy to sail with the small jib rather than the genoa. The jib sheets run to the cabin top instead of the rail and I never use the winches. I personally wouldn't add a winch handle holder.

VENTILATION
We have a small cowl vent on the foredeck that provides enough ventilation to keep the cabin from being musty. You could certainly add louvers to the companionway boards if you wanted more ventilation, add a second cowl vent on the "poop deck," or a clamshell vent on the aft cockpit wall.

Smooth sailing,

Jim