Hurricane Maria

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Hurricane Maria

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

NHC/NOAA will shortly classify a "weather system" currently about 700 miles east of the Lesser Antilles as Tropical Cyclone 15 (soon to be named "Maria").

Maria will be heading directly over the USVIs and BVIs both of which, along with Barbuda and several other Caribbean islands, were recently demolished by Hurricane Irma. There is not much left on the islands to be destroyed.

I am giving very serious consideration to a "redeployment of my ass[ets]" to somewhere other than Florida should Maria set her sights on South Florida.

Anecdotally, I once dated an Italian girl named "Maria". She was a part-time model for some dress designer in Roma. I have fond memories of my time with Maria. I hope those fond memories are not replaced by bad ones of TS/H Maria. :(

I have lived in South Florida for more than 50 years. Neither I nor any other "long timers" can remember a year in which South Florida was so frequently "under the gun" of so many strong weather systems. Donna, yes; Andrew, yes; Wilma, yes; Charlie, yes"; but only one a year, not repeated almost monthly blows. It is depressing. :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sea Hunt Video on Sep 18th, '17, 13:17, edited 2 times in total.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Soon to be Tropical Storm Maria

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Roberto,

I'm really sorry to hear about the troubled weather conditions that the southern states are enduring. So far, how are you making out? I hope that nothing major has happened to you, your property and your boat.

BTW, I am wondering how Zaida and some of the other Cape Dorians made out during the hurricane. I have heard or read nada how they fared.

I hope all will be well for the rest of the "H" season.

Hang in there.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Tropical Storm Maria

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

OJ:

On behalf of all Cape Dorians and all boaters in the potential path of our next hurricane, thanks for your kind thoughts. S/V Bali Ha'i and house are OK after Hurricane Irma. Time will tell with TS/H Maria. :?
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video

Re: Hurricane Maria

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

In the many sailing magazines I subscribe to I frequently read articles about sailors who travel to various remote islands and bring with them items not easily obtained by locals - reading books, notebooks, writing pads, pencils, pens, crayons, etc. for the children; clothes for both children and adults; as well as other "home items" not available "on island". Sailors have a well-earned and much deserved reputation for their generosity toward residents of far away sailing destinations.

I am submitting this post on behalf of the residents of islands not so far away - The United States Virgin Islands - St. Thomas, St. Croix and St. John. The children and adults of these islands are American citizens every much as the children and adults in the Florida Keys and Houston. Yet, for reasons I do not understand, the USVIs are being essentially ignored by those of us living in the continental United States. The Weather Channel references the USVIs only to the extent necessary to hype the next "monster hurricane".

As we all know, the USVIs were devastated by Hurricane Irma last week. Conservative reports estimate that 90% - 95% of the structures on St. Thomas and St. John were completely demolished. The infrastructure (water, electric, etc.) is barely sporadic or nonexistent. These American citizens (and especially the children) are now faced with the devastating winds of Hurricane Maria - either a high Cat. 4 or Cat. 5 at landfall. As of this post sustained winds were 135 mph and climbing!!! Frankly, there is not much left for Maria to destroy. Irma took almost all. This time, St. Croix will be devastated also. There is precious little drinkable water and food left on these islands and now they have Hurricane Maria racing at them. The children will, as usual, suffer the worst from this looming disaster.

The USVIs have for years been the destination of choice for sailors wanting to get away for a week of bareboat or crewed cruising. These islands and their residents have been an oasis and a source of rejuvenation to thousands and thousands of sailors over the years. The USVI residents now very much need our help. Because of their remoteness the only way to get supplies, food, water, medical supplies, gas, etc., is via cargo ship or plane. It will be years before any sense of normalcy returns. The children will not be back in school (where they can have a sense of routine and order) for at least a year. As one of the real life victims of Hurricane Andrew (August 1992) I know all too well what it is like to try to rebuild and return to a sense of normalcy after all that you cherish is demolished before you. It took many of us several years to recover; and that was with the ease of resupply from cities, towns and states just a few miles north of us and easily accessed via interstate highways, not to mention planes with large runways and cargo ships with accessible harbors and docks.

There are several excellent charitable organizations who are working toward, and gearing up to, providing short term and long term assistance to the children and residents of the USVIs. I do not want to offer any list of names of charities for fear of leaving out one or more legitimate and reputable organizations. You can go to one or more independent financial organizations that rate charities to obtain the names of worthy charitable organizations to whom you can make financial contributions to the USVIs and feel comfortable knowing that your hard earned money will be well spent. For example, look at https://www.charitynavigator.org/ There are several other similar “watch dog” websites.

I would respectfully ask that you consider making as generous a contribution as possible to the organization(s) of your choosing and that you designate your donation to be routed to the hurricane relief efforts in the USVIs to help the American citizen children and families on these islands; especially think of the children. It would also be helpful to talk with friends and fellow sailors at your marina, sailing club, etc. to remind them of the suffering on the USVIs and urge them to make a contribution. Hopefully, by word of mouth it will slowly snowball into something significant and beneficial for the children and adults of the USVIs. We should not, and cannot, ignore them in their time of such overwhelming desperate need.

I do not have any relatives or friends in the USVIs. My sole interest and motivation are the American citizens on the islands - especially the children.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Thank you for whatever contribution you decide to make.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Roberto,
I went to that website. They list 142 charities in the U.S. Virgin Islands, they do not rate any of them! Do you know of a particular charity that is honest and truly helpful for these people? I want to help, but as I grow older I have become a bit more cautious about charities.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Tim:

I sent you a PM.

I share your skepticism, and frankly, especially when it comes to some of the "on island" charities.

At this time it is probably more effective to stay with established national organizations and ask that any contribution be directed to USVI relief efforts.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

As some of you may recall I sailed the Far Reach to the West Indies about 18 months ago and spent six months sailing in the BVI, the USVI, and Sint Maarten. It was a fantastic experience which I hope to do again soon. I have been deeply saddened and even stunned by the level of destruction depicted in the news and on the many videos I have seen. Without exception my family and I were treated very well everywhere we went there. These wonderful people deserve all the help we can give.

As mentioned in this thread, not all charities are equal. I am not familiar with how we learn about which international charities spend what percentage of donations actually helping people in need. Maybe someone knows a good source of such info.

Charles Doane, one of the editors of Sail Magazine, has a blog I have enjoyed reading for many years--Wave Train. I recently read his newest book as well. I have corresponded with him a few times. He strikes me as a good soul. He has an obvious love of people especially everyday folks. His latest post on Wave Train describes the devastation through the eyes of sailors. There is a link in his post to a number of relief organizations supporting the islands. It seems like a good place to start if you are thinking about making a donation.

http://www.wavetrain.net/news-a-views/7 ... -caribbean

Marina looks to be another bad hombre. I never thought I'd be so happy to see the arrival of November.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

This website from Charity Navigator offers some assistance in selecting charitable organizations that are providing assistance to Hurricane Irma victims (St. Thomas and St. John were destroyed by Irma):

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index. ... &cpid=5243

As noted in the Business Insider website below, Charity Navigator does not rate local organizations based outside the US, However, they have listed some that are reputable and have existed for many years.

This website from Business Insider lists some charities offering assistance directly to Caribbean island residents, Scroll down about 1/2 page to "Local Caribbean Organizations:

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-cha ... ami-dade-1

As of this post, most charitable organizations are using "Hurricane Irma" as the touchstone for focused relief efforts in the USVIs. Those wanting to make a contribution to USVI residents impacted by Irma need to direct the charity to where you want your money devoted. Once Hurricane Maria passes, assuming there is anyone still alive on the USVIs (Barbuda is lifeless), most of the organizations will relabel efforts to "Hurricane Maria" or add it to the list.

As should be obvious I have zero experience or expertise in any of this. I am flying by the seat of my pants. I saw very little coverage of USVI impact, damage, assistance, etc. and then saw an article briefly mentioning the impact on children. It frankly got to me, especially when they interviewed a resident of St. Thomas holding a baby in her arms who, after watching coverage of Houston and Key West and Tampa, said "we are Americans too. We need help also."

Decide if you want to give; if so, be cautious in who you give to; give what you can.

The latest projection has the eye of Hurricane Maria passing directly over USVIs (St. Croix) on Wednesday, 20 September 2017, as a probable Cat. 5 with winds in excess of 157 mph :!: :!: :!:

A year from now, when the "experts" analyze the data, they will conclude 2017 was the most destructive in terms of loss of life and loss of property since the beginning of hurricane record keeping.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
bill2

Post by bill2 »

Roberto -

Glad to see that your internet connection is completely functional :-) after Irma ( though before Maria :-( .

Ironically I was talking to friends last winter about moving to FL but they were worried about H 's . I thought no problem - just stay closer to ( or on ) the west side - translation = don't take what I say as gospel .

None the less your chat about needing water on islands recalled a tip from my Boy Scout days ( sometime well back into last century ! ) . To " make " water in a survival situation one needs two containers and some clear plastic ( or cellophane ) . Fill the larger container with something that has water ( plant material, dirty water, sea water , etc ) . Put the smaller ( hopefully clean ) container into the center of the large container - in the water . Cover them tightly with the clear plastic and put a light weight into the center of the clear plastic out in the sun. Water evaporates ( leaving behind orgamisms and contaminants as I recall ) and then condenses on the plastic . The condensation flows " downhill " to where the weight is and where it collects to drop into the smaller container - voila ( the extent of my French ) . Clean Water .

Simple , cheap , expedient but functional ( ? ) when in a place without any or minimal Red Cross aid .

I forget which Boy Scout Manual it was in and whether it is still considered practical - maybe boil it if unsure ?

Fair ( Only ) Winds .

B
Sea Hunt Video

Hurricane Maria

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

As I write this post the outer eye wall of Hurricane Maria will shortly cross over St. Croix. NHC/NOAA has recorded sustained winds at sea level of 175 mph (a high Cat. 5 :!: ) with wind gusts exceeding 200 mph :!: :!: :!: Central mb pressure is down to 908 (one of the lowest recorded ever). Hurricane Andrew (August 1992) had central mb pressure of 922 at time of landfall. Sadly, St. Croix is on the "dirty side" of Maria. This is where tornadoes are spawned and higher winds gusts are continuous.

Hurricane Maria is, as of this post, one of the strongest hurricanes ever recorded in the Caribbean.

There is little doubt that there will be massive destruction to St. Croix and to Puerto Rico.

Please keep the citizens of the USVIs and Puerto Rico, especially the children, in your thoughts. Thank you.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/ne ... an-impacts

The above website gives a current assessment of the situation on the USVIs (especially St. Croix) and Puerto Rico. Scroll down about 2/3s for 3-4 photos of damage on St. Croix. Frankly, it looks exactly like my neighborhood in the morning of 24 August 1992 after Hurricane Andrew went through. It took us several years to recover and that was with easy access to food, water, building material, medical supplies, hospitals, etc.

Thankfully, on Monday, 18 September 2017, President Trump declared an emergency for the USVIs and Puerto Rico to allow both FEMA and DHS to begin coordinating relief efforts. Hopefully, they will act with the level of strength and precision that they acted in Houston and the Florida Keys. Overwhelming manpower, equipment and supplies are needed to simply saves lives.

There are several other websites reporting widespread damage, injuries, etc. The "dirty side" of Hurricane Maria made landfall on St. Croix with 155+ mph winds, gusts much higher and probable tornadoes. As of this post the "experts" believe Maria's eye actually made landfall on the SE corner of Puerto Rico. They are still reviewing some of the high resolution imagery, etc.

It will be years before St. Croix, St. Thomas and St. John and PR will have any sense of normalcy. St. Thomas and St. John were demolished by Hurricane Irma just a few days ago. As stated in an earlier post, and as is frankly obvious, all food, water, medicine, relief supplies, building material, electrical wiring for power grids, water and waste systems, even TP, must be flown in or shipped in. The urgency right now is medical care (triage, etc.) of the injured.

Whatever you can contribute will be very much appreciated by the American citizens of the USVIs, especially the children. They are all our brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, sons and daughters and are in desperate need. Thank you.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John S. and others in eastern NC and eastern Va., as of this post it looks like you guys may get "dusted" with some TS winds next week. Hang tough :!: :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Roberto. Thanks. I was just looking at the Euro model runs. Looks close. Hopefully we won't get schwacked. We have been lucky when so many others have not. Hopefully our luck will hold out a little longer. Take care Roberto.