Wind

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

tartansailor

Wind

Post by tartansailor »

Our thoughts and concerns reach out to all our Cape Dory friends
potentially in the path of Erma the witch. We have serious cause for concern.
Say in the extreme a 175 mph blow makes landfall.
Now according to my calculations PSF = V squared divided by 383.6
so If you were carrying a 4X8 sheet of plywood to board up a window
the force would be 2,554 lbs. perpendicular to the board.
No man made structure can withstand that.
All that remains is prayer.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
gates_cliff

Re: Wind

Post by gates_cliff »

Considering wind, what is the best strategy for securing your boat? Best to keep it in its slip, doubled lines with good chafe gear or to have boat hauled and stored on land?
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Cliff:

BoatUS has done a lot of research on this issue. They strongly recommend hauling out your boat if at all possible. They feel so strongly about this that will pay a portion of your haul out fee (I think 50% but I am not sure of the exact amount). GEICO now handles BoatUS insurance. I think all is still the same but ..........

In August 2011 S/V Bali Ha'i was sitting comfortably in a marina in NJ. I had just purchased her in July 2011 and was waiting for the end of hurricane season in South Florida. A hurricane (I think Irene) then managed to work its way up the East coast in late August (I am not positive about the dates). The marina hauled out all of their boats!!! I received an email from BoatUS reminding me that my policy covered a portion of the cost of haul out. I was not then aware of this. I sent them the invoice from the marina and BoatUS promptly sent me a check.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Roberto
I kept my boat at a slip in a local marina. When a storm of great size threatens, I would haul the boat. An owner could secure his boat to the nth degree of care, but it always seems that it is the careless neighbor's boat that snaps its mooring and runs amok through the mooring field.

For me, it is better to be safe than sorry.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Roberto/JOHN

Thanks, if Irma looks like it's moving up to the Chesapeake, I'll have it hauled.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>Best to keep it in its slip, doubled lines with good chafe gear or to have boat hauled and stored on land?<<

If the storm surge takes the docks and fingers over the tops of the pilings, doubled dock lines and chafe gear won't help much. I've seen lots of pictures of whole marinas tossed inland.

By the way, a big surge will also float boats off of their stands in the yard.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

I'm getting worried up here in New England. Looks like we'll get a pass from Irma, but who knows about Jose? Will probably haul this week, sadly.

My thoughts go out to all those who are enduring this apparently record-breaking hurricane season.

Best of luck to all,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627