YSM8 - Disassembling mixing elbow

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

csoule13

YSM8 - Disassembling mixing elbow

Post by csoule13 »

My mixing elbow has a hole in it. So far, I've attempted to 1) Remove the three bolts holding the entire stack on to the engine 2) Remove just the mixing elbow. Both have resulted in laughable failure to get anything to move. PB Blaster, leverage, and a sawzall(to the coupler above where the wrench grips) have all been brought the fight.

Before I call in the machine shop with whatever torture devices they have available to them, is there some obvious solution that I've overlooked?

If nothing else, tinkering on this for the past two weeks has got me reconsidering my longer term plans on repowering the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frenchy

Re: YSM8 - Disassembling mixing elbow

Post by Frenchy »

All I can offer is some fairly conventional advice. I would remove all hoses, the water muffler and anything else that might get in your
way first. Then try the PB blaster again, let it soak for 24 hours and try the attaching bolts again. If that doesn't work, use a MAPP gas
torch on one of the bolts until it starts to glow dull red, then immediately try the wrench. That usually works. If the bolt loosens, work
it a bit back and forth with some PB blaster before trying to remove. Good Luck
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Exercise caution when using PB Blaster in the vicinity of an engine.
It might damage engine/transmission seals.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-main ... rning.html

Jonathan
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

When we did this some years ago, after breaking off one of the bolts, we removed the exhaust manifold and brought it to a metal shop, where they used their professional mysteries to disassemble it, clean it up and manufacture a new mixing elbow. The shop had nothing to do with boats, so the cost was very reasonable.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
steveg

Post by steveg »

Experienced a similar difficulty when removing the exhaust mixing elbow. After removing the nuts which fasten the elbow to the engine it would not budge. Loosened the clamps on the hose where the water exits the elbow. Still stuck. Left it for a few days. It was in the fall or spring, not sure which. After returning a few times and applying as much force as I could muster, it eventually came loose and then was able to pull it out of the exhaust hose. It seemed like there was quite a bit of adhesion from the gasket between the elbow and engine.

It would be good to let it sit for a few days. Hopefully it would experience some expansion and contraction due to temperature changes and eventually come free. Patience and keep trying seem to be in order.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?