mooring swivels: service life?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Megunticook

mooring swivels: service life?

Post by Megunticook »

So I installed an eye-to-eye swivel on my mooring as recommended by most of the things I've read and mooring people I've talked to. It's USA made, hot-dip galvanized, and still looked pretty good when I reinstalled it this spring (gets washed and stored in my shed along with the shackles, pendant, buoy from October through April). This is season 4.

I had some experienced mooring guys inspect everything this spring, and they said they've had issues with swivels failing suddenly, so they avoid them unless absolutely necessary. They thought mine looked OK but it made me nervous. Wondering if I should replace it soon? I figured I would see corrosion and know when it was getting tired, but apparently the welded bolt on the pin can fail without showing any sign.

What are your experiences on this?
Bob Ohler

Re: mooring swivels: service life?

Post by Bob Ohler »

I am curious about your swivel. Do you recall what brand it is, and where you bought it? Do you know if it is forged or cast?

Thanks.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

I had a consistent problem with my mooring bridles wrapping themselves around and under my mooring ball. I was wary of using a swivel, because it seemed like the weak link with no backup. At the suggestion of someone on this board, I switched from two equal length mooring lines to using one that is ~12" longer than the main line. Since making that change three years ago I have yet to have the lines wrap themselves around. Just a thought.
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Brand is Chicago and they're drop-forged: http://www.chicagohardware.com/swivels.htm.

Not sure how using multiple pendants would prevent the twisting/wrapping. But I'll look into it.