HOW big is that genoa?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ben Miller

HOW big is that genoa?

Post by Ben Miller »

Out of curiosity, I plugged the sail and rig dimensions from the Typhoon Weekender page on SailData into this overlap calculator and I got a whopping 172%! Is something faulty with my data, or that calculator, or is that actually a reasonable size for a #1 jib on a Typhoon? All I have on my boat is a working jib, but I'd like to add a genny to my sail wardrobe at some point. Does anyone know what the standard suit of sails was for the Weekender when it was sold new?

For reference, the numbers I'm using (the sail dimensions in the diagram are kind of hard to read) are:
J: 6.17 feet
Luff: 18'6"
Leech: 18'10"
Foot: 11'0"
Ben Miller

Re: HOW big is that genoa?

Post by Ben Miller »

Follow-up: I flipped through the various owner's manuals and sales brochures available here at the CDSOA. Most only mention "working sails," if they give any specifications at all. The Daysailer brochure from 1977 says that the standard equipment includes a working jib, and a 150% genoa is a $170 option. Since the Daysailer has a masthead rig and the Weekender is fractional, would it be safe to assume that the Weekender's original genoa would be a tad bigger?

Lastly, if I use 19'6" for the luff dimension rather than 18'6" (the writing on the sail plan is too fuzzy to make out well) then the calculated overlap drops to 167%. Still pretty sizable.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

OK, here's some further data. The class rules for the Alberg 30 and the Pearson Ensign (both Alberg-designed and at least somewhat similar to the Typhoon in design if not in size) both specify a No. 1 genoa that comes in at around 170%, by that same calculator.

One of the things the prompted this whole exploration was the UK Sailmakers' Encyclopedia of Sails, which I was skimming through the other day. The Genoas and Other Jibs section has this to say about genoa sizes (emphasis mine):
Occasionally a price list may show a choice of areas for the No. 1 genoa, a circumstance which possibly can cause confusion. It should be understood that the term "No. 1 genoa" is nonspecific as to size. It denotes the largest genoa on the boat, whatever size that may be. (The next step down in size becomes the No. 2 and so forth.) The size of the No. 1 is based on factors such as the weather conditions in which the boat is to be sailed, the size of her rig, the applicable rating rule, if any, the owner's requirements, etc. Obviously, the size of the No. 1 is one of the factors involved in picking the size of the No. 2. For instance, if the chosen No. 1 has an LP of 150%, an appropriate No. 2 might well be 135%. On the other hand, some older boats are short rigged by today's standards and would do better with a 170% No. 1. In that case a more appropriate size for the No. 2 would be about 150%.
I'm not sure what they mean by "short-rigged." Perhaps that the rig has a low aspect ratio? (Which the Typhoon does.)

Anyhow, just idle curiosity on my part! It seems to me that most of the other Ty owners on this board, when they mention their genoa, have something in the 130-150% range. Is that more of a general purpose size, for folks who probably don't want (or need) a No. 1, No. 2, working jib, storm jib, etc? Or maybe a 170% would only be appropriate on a Ty in really light winds?
swparis85

Post by swparis85 »

Not an old salt, in fact I can still count the number of times I've been out on my Ty on two hands, but I believe the 130% genny is most-purposes like you say. It definitely gets more flying time than the working jib on my boat.
I would think that anything much bigger would be overkill. The 130 should get you to hull speed in most conditions, I think.
With anything much bigger the genoa tracks on the Ty might need to be extended aft to get proper sheeting angle.
Just my thoughts. Would love to hear other opinions on this from those with more experience.
-Steve
a sailor's joys are as simple as a child's