bad experience with O'Sea glass

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mahalocd36

bad experience with O'Sea glass

Post by mahalocd36 »

Hope to save someone else a bunch of money and frustration.
I'm replacing the dodger on Mahalo. I made one about 10 years ago and used Strataglass. To me, it seemed like it lost clarity quickly, especially since only used seasonally. Read about "O'Sea" brand glass, not any cheaper than Strataglass but claimed to be more chemical resistent (i.e. sunscreen). It does have great clarity out of the package.

Problem: it scratches and mars so easily - just look at it sideways apparently. I've only finished the first piece (of 5) for the dodger and it looks like hell and I'm so disappointed. I am VERY careful with it, don't drag it on surfaces, sew with cotton fabric underneath it. The first scratches were noticed as soon as I cut the first piece out. Decided to live with it and move on. Sewed up the first piece being extremely careful with it. I have no idea how it got so marred and scratched. I did not have this problem with Strataglass. It did not look like hell on the brand new dodger. Maybe I got a defective roll. Sailrite suggested that maybe they'd buff out with IMAR polish.

Edit: They've offered to replace the sheet.

I will never buy this stuff again.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com