CD 22 Outboard Size

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

lyonsfin

CD 22 Outboard Size

Post by lyonsfin »

Wondering what size outboards folks are using on their 22s?
Josh Lyons
Mystic, CT/Savannah, GA
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Re: CD 22 Outboard Size

Post by Gary M »

When I bought my CD22 it came with a Nissan 5 hp long shaft.

I'm completely satisfied with it.

Gary
Dino
Location: Oriental, NC. CD 25D. Previously CD22, Typhoon and CD 10.

Post by Dino »

My 22 had a 6hp Tohatsu Sail Pro when I bought it. It gets the boat to hull speed at only about 1/3rd throttle. I'm no expert on these things, but I'd guess that's not merely enough power - but perhaps too much? Are outboards happier if they run at higher RPMs, at least occasionally?

I had a 2hp Honda on my Typhoon Weekender and I always thought that was about perfect for it. The Ty is more than half the weight and wetted surface of the 22, maybe a 22 would do well with something closer to 4hp? Just a guess, and perhaps an uninformed one. Maybe the weight, wetted surface and hp relationships aren't quite so linear...
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

My CD22 had a 9.9 nissan with electric start and it was great! I had the boat in Charleston on the Stono and had to go through Elliotts Cut to get to the harbor and out to sea. The 9.9 would take the CD22 through Eliotts Cut at race tide but the freeboard would drop to about 10 inches. I now race a Pearson Ensign ( 22' Alberg Design) and I use a torqeedo electric motor. Love it. But, I am now on a lake. So I think it depends on where you are.
lyonsfin

Post by lyonsfin »

Great input! Thanks! I have always been a firm believer in smallest OB that would get the job done. I know there are a lot of variables in boat design, motor output and how we use our boats. I think that I will look at 5-8 HP, long (or XL) shaft, and 4 stroke.

To answer one question, it is fine to run an OB at 1/3 throttle, particularly if it is 4 stroke. 2 strokes tend to foul plugs at idle and low rpm so it may be good to run them up occaissionally. From my experience, I think if the OB can handle its load at 1/3-1/2 throttle there is some left over for those times requiring that extra ooomph!
Josh Lyons
Mystic, CT/Savannah, GA
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Do you have the deck mounted motor mount or the transom mount. The former requires the 25" shaft.

quote="lyonsfin"]Great input! Thanks! I have always been a firm believer in smallest OB that would get the job done. I know there are a lot of variables in boat design, motor output and how we use our boats. I think that I will look at 5-8 HP, long (or XL) shaft, and 4 stroke.

To answer one question, it is fine to run an OB at 1/3 throttle, particularly if it is 4 stroke. 2 strokes tend to foul plugs at idle and low rpm so it may be good to run them up occaissionally. From my experience, I think if the OB can handle its load at 1/3-1/2 throttle there is some left over for those times requiring that extra ooomph![/quote]

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing