Rudder question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Rudder question

Post by Evergreen »

Hello fellow sailors:

Cape Dory Rudder Question: We own a CD36 but I suspect this question is relevant to all CDs. When we first purchased our CD we had the rudder dropped and replaced by a boat yard. When we returned to the boat the yard had left a donut shaped collar clamp on our navigation station. It was about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick and had a cut in one side to allow it to be tightened with a screw for bolt. I asked what it was and the yard replied that they had forgotten to replace it when reinstalling the rudder but not to worry about it as it was not necessary (and they expected me to believe that). Since we were anxious to get moving on our full season of cruising we accepted their explanation and went on our merry way. My question is: If you have ever worked on your rudder have you ever come across such a collar clamp and where does it belong??? I suspect it should be located somewhere near the top of the rudder shaft --- in other words - inside the boat. Our rudder is currently out of the boat and we would like to replace it if possible. Unfortunately, over the years we have lost track of the part so we can not provide photos.

I thank you for any responses that you can offer.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Keith

Re: Rudder question

Post by Keith »

Hi Phil,

I noticed that your boat is kept at Robinhood Marine. I would think that they would be the best people to ask since they still make the 36.

Keith
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Post by Evergreen »

Sorry for the misinformation --- Boat is now at Great Island Boat Yard.
Philip & Sharon
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Phil
Though I answered your question on the Cape Dory Facebook page, I'll repost it here in case anyone else wants to know the answer or save someone the trouble of taking a picture and posting it.

I rebuilt the rudder on my CD 36 Far Reach. I am very familiar with it. It's a stop collar. It fits on the rudder-post just below the pillow-block on 'thwartship steel cross-beam that supports the upper end of the rudderpost. Above the steering quadrant but below the cross beam.

The intent, I think, is to keep your rudder from being driven up out of the rudder shoe in the case of a hard grounding.

I can't imagine that it is designed to keep the rudder from falling out as the quadrant would do that.

Picture below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John:

What is a Cape Dory face book page :?:

Phil:

I sincerely apologize for temporarily diverting your thread on rudders, but John S. started it :!: :!: :wink: :D :wink: :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Roberto
There is a Facebook page called Cape Dory Fans or something like that. It's a group you join on FB to post photos and videos and whatnot.
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

I am in the middle of making a new rudder now as the old rudder shaft had very significant crevice corrosion and I did not trust it any more. I agree with John about it's placement, but the rudder cannot move upward enough to pop off of the shoe. The rudder can, however be forced up to make the top of the fiberglass rub on the bottom of the boat and make a mess of things. This stop ring prevents that. If your stop ring is off, you may be able to remove the pillow block and replace the stop ring.

Regards,

Matt
Evergreen

Post by Evergreen »

Thanks Matt:

Do you happen to have a photo of the setup before you started your project?

Good luck with your project.

Philip
Philip & Sharon
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Phillip,
Headed off to the boat today to get photos. I'll post them this evening.

John
Evergreen

Post by Evergreen »

Matt:

What material are you using for the shaft?
Philip & Sharon
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Philip
I made it down to the Far Reach today to take the pictures you requested.

The collar is a simple SS donut that slides over the top of the rudder post and held in place via a set screw. As Matt suggested, you can slip it over the rudder post by removing the pillowblock and slide the bearing up over the top of the post and then drop the collar down in place. Still, were I doing it again, I would opt for a two part collar with bolts that allows it to be clamped tighter in place and without removing the pillow block.

There are two photos attached. The first is a close-up of the collar taken through the steering quadrant. The second is a more panoramic photo of the entire assembly. In the panoramic photo you can zoom in and see the collar through the opening in the front of the quadrant. Keep in mind, I converted the Far Reach from wheel to tiller. With the exception of the missing wheel steering subframe, everything else is the same. Same pillow block, rudder post, steering quadrant, stuffing box, and 'thwartship steel sub-frame.

I kept the steering quadrant, even with the tiller. The blocks and lines are the control lines and components that allow the Cape Horn Windvane to steer the Far Reach by her rudder via the steering quadrant.

The panoramic view is possible because I do not have an onboard engine in the Far Reach.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Is that a folding bleacher seat in the engine room :?: :?: Zeida, have you seen this?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

It's a little folding table we set up in the cockpit when we take our meals there at anchor or when we have guests over.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi Jone,

I know that you have a tiller so are those the wind vane lines all below deck?

Keith
RC James

Post by RC James »

Perhaps a too-simple "temporary fix" would be to use a Zinc Doughnut Collar in lieu of the SS ring?
This would eliminate the necessity of removing/dropping/raising the rudder shaft?
AND..... it's 2 parts that can just be placed around the rudder post, and is held by 2 captive bolts/nuts.

Unfortunately, my 25D insides pales in size compared to the 36, and I'm not going to even mention the hospital cleanliness of all the above attached photos.

I'm ashamed, very ashamed.
RC