Best Furler for CD 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

KMagill

Best Furler for CD 25D

Post by KMagill »

I have had my 25D for almost four seasons. Oddly, this season I seem to be having an issue with the Snapfurl system that I either did not notice prior or have somehow caused by configuration. The furler “tube” is shorter that the luff of the jib? When the jib is tensioned it pulls the tube out of the lower receiver!

Its the furler I got with the boat and I only have one jib without hanks... odd to me.

When I tension the jib the upper furler drum hits the black “stop cap" on top of the white tube and pulls in out of the base.

Has anyone run into this issue with the CF500 snap-furl unit?
The manual states a max headstay of 31’ - 1” . I think the 25D is longer. Maybe it is just "beyond” the working length and needs a “bigger” furler?

Has anyone else had such issues?

What furler have people been successful with on the 25D..
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Best Furler for CD 25D

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Keith:

I cannot offer any suggestions on your Snap Furl issue. Sorry.

I have been happy with the Harken Mark IV, Unit 0, furler on my Cape Dory 25D.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

https://www.schaefermarine.com/our-prod ... l-systems/
If no one has a definitive answer try this hyperlink which will bring you to Schaefer Marines Snapfurl systems homepage. It contains a link to the installation instructions. You can also call or email them to request technical assistance. Good luck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Keith:

I do not know much about this stuff but .....

Jim W.'s Schaefer website reference suggests the Snapfurl CF500 is intended for sailboats 16' to 24'. The Snapfurl CF700 is for sailboats 24'-28'. You may have the wrong size Snapfurl for your Cape Dry 25D.

Also, Jim W.'s Schaefer website reference suggests the extrusion is 31' for the CF500. I seem to recall that the forestay length on our Cape Dory 25Ds is about 34' or 35'. It is possible you need the longer extrusion. The website states the Snapfurl CF700's extrusion is 38'. I assume it can be cut for proper sizing.

Again, an important disclaimer - I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS STUFF :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
KMagill

Post by KMagill »

Thanks for the feedback:

I did a little digging and it does seem that the CF500 system is just a little short for the 25D

The 25D headstay is approximately 33’ 6”
The MAX luff dimension for the CF500 is around 30’

If there wasn’t 10” of snow on the ground I would lay out my jib and measure the luff “ring to ring” and know for sure but it looks like I’ll need a bigger unit.

I will call Schaefer and inquire about the CF-500-L mentioned in the install specs (Thanks Jim) which is good for a 37” headstay..

Well at least I have time.. :roll:
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

I think the CF 500 is the best small boat furler and I have one on my Montgomery 17. It is a little under-sized for a CD 25D. In your case, the foil clearly is too short for the sail in its present configuration. One thing that might shorten the sail enough to get by is deleting the tack and head rings and shackling directly to the web loops. You really should be doing that anyway to get a tighter furl. Otherwise, as you say, you will have to buy a longer foil or upgrade to a CF 700.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

While I used only hank on sails for both of my CD25s (not CD25D), I have a ProFurl furler on KAYLA, our CD28. After many years of use and crewing with friends that have various other systems, I will never buy anything other than ProFurl.
That's just my experience, your mileage may vary...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I installed a Schaefer 750 on my 25D in 2001 when I bought it. Never had a problem - a simple bullet proof design.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
KMagill

Post by KMagill »

Thanks for all the replies.

At this point I am thinking that it will be either a Schaefer CF-700 or the Harken ESP Unit 0.

I do agree that the ProFurl units are great. There are two on the boat I race on (Oceanis 48) and they have worked well. One is used for a 1975 sq foot asymmetrical which is a blast.

The Harken has a few nice features and installs very much the same as the Snap Furl. Both are about the same price. The ESP is the new "simple" version with a few downgrades like a single groove and a basic top swivel setup.

The one thing I like about the Snap Furl is the foil. It supports the entire length of the headstay, not just the top and bottom. But with a properly tensioned headstay not sure if that is a issue..

The other thing I like about staying with the SnapFurl is that It is a direct swap from the CF500
I don't think the Schaefer 700 series is still available?

Still time for research.
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106