Beyond My Known 2017

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Patterson

Beyond My Known 2017

Post by David Patterson »

Not sure where I'll be posting for 2017, but as I begin the 2017 year (soon) aboard s/v CLOUD GIRL (Cape Dory 25D #85 from 1982) I'll at least begin here on capedory.org. I've been hoping to complete my round of months experienced aboard in the Salish Sea, so arrived on 12/14/16, after a circuit of travel among my friends and family members. I've not spent December and January cruising yet. The normally coldest months of the local environment, they will certainly prove to be so this year. At 25* ambient temperatures, the 9000btu Newport propane heater aboard yields a cabin temp of 55*. The 12000btu model would be preferable. Cave temperatures are 55*, yet easy to layer for, comfortably. The seawater is at 43*...and so at times is the cabin sole! Below I've shown some random photos. The first is of someone's ice play. The triple one includes a ferry view in Rosario Strait (a lull in Force 4 winds), a frozen water feature in a Friday Harbor waterfront park, and a large ketch named AMBITION, whose mizzen attachments sound a note in the wind near the lower range of an organ. The dolefull sound dominates that section of the port. IF all goes as planned, I hope to visit Ganges, in Canada's Gulf Islands, to see the Christmas time there. Meanwhile, 56mph north winds were noted in Bounday Pass early this AM. I'll need to choose conditions thoughtfully if I go north. To be seen.
Attachments
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG (4.36 MiB) Viewed 2283 times
2195531F-0D3B-4202-9906-8FDF9B898088.jpg
2195531F-0D3B-4202-9906-8FDF9B898088.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 2283 times
David Patterson

Re: Beyond My Known 2017

No doubt, in waters that don't freeze, boats are thoroughly decorated for holidays, in Florida marinas for example. I've not seen much of it locally. Maybe in "big boat" marinas like Roche Harbor's. Here is a power boat in Friday Harbor, decked out. Daytime, the penguin; night time, the lights. A large cutter, out of sight in this photo, has lights up on fore and back stays. Festive touches to the quiescent half-empty marina. Some crew are aboard the power boat, for the low roar of their heater is audible when close. Perhaps they are taking a vacation aboard for the holiday. The bitterly cold (for here) temps have eased as the polar air moves west. Instead of close to 20*, the temps are back above freezing. Heating the cabin is easier, aided by a heavy blanket over the hatch boards to act as insulation. In the night I needed to turn the heater lower. Last is the stern of a Bruce Bingham designed Flicka, quite a contrast to our Alberg designed Cape Dorys. Externally hung rudder, off-set back stay, traveler on a stern frame, etc. Does the rudder have room to fully swing? Surely it must. The rig also must be short-aspect to require that outboard backstay arrangement. Interesting differences.
Attachments
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 2255 times
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 2255 times
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG (796.72 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
David Patterson

A relatively rare dusting of snow encouraged me out of my now warmed and cozy cabin, to take a few photos of small town Christmas scenes for sharing. A tourist town off season can seem deserted. Very likable, to me, who prefers non-urban situations. Notice the entry lights on the NOEL photo's Cask and Schooner restaurant's entry. Red right returning. A ferry hoves into view in the first photo. I've read that the broad streets of western towns are laid out to allow a freight wagon with a four horse team enough room in which to turn around. Regular wind warnings persist over the area.
Attachments
8089DA5B-629B-4364-8C22-ABDE23768CF5.jpg
8089DA5B-629B-4364-8C22-ABDE23768CF5.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 2236 times
David Patterson

Plans to be in Ganges, Saltspring Island of the Canadian Gulf Islands, for the reputedly lovely Christmas scene there, are not working out for me. While mine, and the boat's, readiness aren't yet quite enough, the weather windows have not been right as well. Fair and moderate winds just after Christmas may be my chance to go into Canada. Decorations will still be displayed, though I'll miss the festivities. I'll have no trouble making do with Friday Harbor's beauty. Even just being here in the winter marina has attractions. Temps have returned to the usual 40*s again. Other cold snaps will occur, of course, and some gales. The photo, of E dock before dawn, seems symbolic to me of the distance ahead to ideal cruising conditions. During a town walk I spotted the second photo's large remnant of the harbor's now defunct fishing industry, the pulley 3' or so in diameter. The markings are of a 1921 casting date. With some work it could probably still function. It looks to me now like some steampunk decoration. The green grass will last through the local winter with no problem. Up here at the 49th parallel, the mild climate continues to surprise. At the solstice, only a little over 8 hours of daylight occur.
Attachments
IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 2217 times
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 2217 times
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

David:

Thank you for continuing to post your photos. They are truly special and perfectly capture this Christmas season along the NW coast.

If memory serves (it often fails :( ) this will be your first Christmas aboard and away from family and friends on the East coast. I am hopeful, and certain, that you will enjoy the spirit of the season with fellow sailors while enjoying the "nippy" temps in your region.

Sadly, in South Florida the temps are projected at 82-83 degrees for Christmas. Not conducive to getting into the "commercial" spirit of the season. Fortunately, the religious spirit of the season is unaffected by temps. (cold or hot)

Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo :!: :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
David Patterson

Hardly beyond my known, here in Friday Harbor, I'm nonetheless doing what I ordinarily do when in port on a cruise. I wander and observe, as I meet the needs of self and boat. Here are a few more Friday Harbor photos. The lifeblood of these islands is the ferry. Some locals refuse to live on a "ferry-served" island, but the whole island economy benefits from, and depends on, the tourist industry. (One tourist is the equivalent of multiple salmon in this former fishing town, I'm sure.) Tellingly, a ferry ticket is needed for a walk-on passenger to get to the islands. Leaving, though, is free. With temps back to the typical narrow winter range of low 40*s for highs, upper 30*s for lows, tourists arrive even now. The ferry docking structure is pictured, as is a vehicle staging area. Overlooking that is a standard diner, decorated with classic vinyl and 50s memorabilia. An older yellow building glows in flat winter sunlight, in the single photo, light reflecting onto the asphalt from the windows. There are no stoplights in this town, nor on the island. Guidebooks encourage drivers to leave their vehicles on the mainland. [Thanks for your post, Roberto. After 67 years, a Christmas spent afloat certainly has attractions for me. My first. My Nov/Dec travels to CO, NJ, MO, and back through CO, have me appreciating my retreat here.]
Attachments
F84EF1C5-7E25-4F7A-A1CC-695CBFD7A7ED.jpg
F84EF1C5-7E25-4F7A-A1CC-695CBFD7A7ED.jpg (928.93 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG (1014.09 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
David Patterson

The thread about sailing in FL seems pretty interesting right now, as a cold-seeming gale is getting set up over the area. My project of experiencing December and January aboard is providing me with plenty of data, so far. My wish for three days fair winds with which to go into the Gulf Islands is not being granted, though a more skilled cruiser would have managed. So, some photos. First is a night/day view of the powerful ISLAND RANGER, perhaps behind the breakwater for the developing gale. She seems to be set up for pushing. The side bitts drew my attention. Snow-covered Mount Baker is in the distance. Second is a combination of large heron tracks in Christmas morning frost, among human footprints, plus a half empty ferry on Christmas Day and a "murder of crows" in a black walnut tree. Many of them were flying walnuts up to 50' or higher, to crack them by dropping them on the street. Worked well. Christmas walnuts, crow-style. Last is a well/regarded local mural paying homage to the old salmon industry, now fished out.
Attachments
3B765EA7-35E0-4647-8140-E503A918C854.jpg
3B765EA7-35E0-4647-8140-E503A918C854.jpg (704.96 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
4006ECA3-82DD-456E-BAC7-658E41AC778A.jpg
4006ECA3-82DD-456E-BAC7-658E41AC778A.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 2175 times
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 2175 times
Last edited by David Patterson on Dec 26th, '16, 16:48, edited 2 times in total.
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

Thank you for your posts and pictures!!
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
David Patterson

You are welcome, Chris. Posting is mostly a manner of deepening my own experience. Always plenty to share here where I cruise. Not that I've gone anywhere since my return aboard. Still, I'm in a marine environment, in retirement. Not bad. Looked up your Latin motto. My own for the year is "quam mihi nota." David, Friday Harbor
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

David Patterson wrote:You are welcome, Chris. Posting is mostly a manner of deepening my own experience. Always plenty to share here where I cruise. Not that I've gone anywhere since my return aboard. Still, I'm in a marine environment, in retirement. Not bad. Looked up your Latin motto. My own for the year is "quam mihi nota." David, Friday Harbor
Okay, Florida and Latin in the same post got my attention. At this point in my life Florida is - ignotum est mihi . . . maybe some day.
Last edited by tjr818 on Dec 27th, '16, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
David Patterson

Definitely "unknown to me," Tim. Google only took me as far as the first three words. The rest is too cryptic even for that catholic source. Jesuit education? David
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Well, if we are going to start going back to our days of Latin in school, I offer the following:

Illegitimi non carborundum

Words I live by.

I wish all a Safe and Happy New Year.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

David Patterson wrote:Definitely "unknown to me," Tim. Google only took me as far as the first three words. The rest is too cryptic even for that catholic source. Jesuit education? David
Sorry about that. I even had Spell check confused :oops:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
David Patterson

I wondered, Tim. Enjoyed what I found. And Roberto, I actually recognized your phrase. A good one. Back here aboard, snubbing in a slip in a SE gale last night had me recalling getting ready for potential 100mph winds, a couple of months ago. In other words, about anchoring and windage. Having a lot of masthead gear aloft can be problematic. Alberg's designs present only moderate hull windage for their sizes. Lower hull heights might be better, but his are nothing like those of round-bottomed fin-keeled designs that must have high top sides to even allow standing room below. As for anchoring, here is multiple-circumnavigator Robert Griffith, from his book Blue Water:
"Through the years I have come to think of myself as an 'anchor man.' I like anchors --plenty of them, with a lot of good strong gear. The priority a racing man gives to sails, I give to anchors. I do not use heavy anchors, by customary measure. In my opinion it is wiser to have twice as many anchors aboard as are usually recommended, but they may be of medium to light weight if used with adequate chain leads." This from a man who once sailed his 53' cutter away --while leaving behind five (!) anchors-- after a Red Sea coral reef grounding, through a channel he blasted himself by using dynamite that he kept aboard as an anti-piracy measure. He still had his last, sixth, anchor aboard. He holds a Blue Water Cruising Medal from his long cruising life, perhaps awarded for his circumnavigation of Antarctica.
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

So . . . where would be good place to store the dynamite, in the cabin, in the lazarette, or perhaps in a dinghy towed by a very long painter? :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,