Danforth versus Danforth "knock off"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Danforth versus Danforth "knock off"

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I was recently gifted an almost new Danforth-type anchor. I was, and remain, reluctant to ask the person if he knows if this is a legitimate Danforth anchor or if it is possibly some type of knock off from China or elsewhere.

There are no markings of any type on the anchor. I weighed it on a home bathroom scale. It weighs 24.2 lbs. In checking the Danforth website, the closest "weight" is a "Danforth Standard" which weighs 25 lbs. per their website (Model S1600). The stock, fluke and height measurements are almost the same as well. The one I received appears to be of sturdy construction but I have zero experience or knowledge with different types of "Danforth-type" anchors. http://www.danforthanchors.com/standard.html

Is there any way for me to determine if this is a legitimate Danforth anchor made by Tie Down Engineering in Georgia with their quality of materials, construction, etc., or if it is a "knock off" of questionable metallurgy, etc. from China or elsewhere :?: For obvious reasons I would feel a lot more comfortable at "zero dark thirty" knowing its a 24 lbs. Danforth made in the USA versus made by ChiComs.

Thanks in advance for any guidance, suggestions, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Re: Danforth versus Danforth "knock off"

Post by Jim Walsh »

With no markings of any type I'd never trust my life to it. My anchors, and all of my ground tackle component parts, are name brand. Can an unscrupulous manufacturer "copy" a genuine article, sure, can they be trusted to use the same quality components and have the same quality standards as the genuine article, not likely, or they wouldn't have found it necessary to "copy" an existing product.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim and all:

Do the Danforth anchors that are made by Tie Down Engineering in Georgia have some type of special marking to signify they are "the real deal" :?:

I will try to call Tie Down Engineering next week but thought I would ask the question of this board.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Spurred on by a cool, refreshing pint of Guinness, I did some additional digging.

I went to the West Marine website to check on their "Danforth Anchors". They have a picture of one and it has the word "Danforth" etched on the shank.

I rechecked my recently gifted anchor, this time with reading glasses on and a big flashlight. Amazing how helpful "readers" can be to old eyes. On one side of the shank, etched in barely legible letters was the following:

"22 US Anchor"

I am assuming this means that the manufacturer of this anchor wants the buyer to believe it is a 22 lb anchor and that we are to further believe it was manufactured by the company called "US Anchor". One would not be thought foolish to extrapolate this belief to further conclude that this anchor was "US Made" in the United States of America since it does say "US Anchor".

Excellent :!: I finished my pint of Guinness and sat proudly at my little computer looking at my almost new 22 lb "US MADE" anchor dreaming of the places where I would deploy this anchor for a secure overnight stay. It then occurred to me to check what state the company "US Anchor" was located in. Oh oh :!: :( There is no such company in the United States named "US Anchor" that makes boat anchors.

It would appear, as of this email, that some unscrupulous business entity has gone to the trouble of mfg. a Danforth look alike and then, to further entice the prospective buyer, has carefully etched in "22 US Anchor" to make it appear to all unsuspecting souls that it is US Made.

Gee, I wonder what type of unscrupulous business person would go to that trouble :?:

I will probably hang on to the anchor and, should I find myself in a situation where "the more anchors the better" I will deploy this anchor. However, I will absolutely NOT use it as a primary anchor for overnight use. Sad. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Roberto
I remember many years ago that a lot of goods were marked made in usa.supposedly there is a town in China called usa!
I believe the scam was in the 60's or 70's
Pete
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Roberto

Just to further Mudify the water. There was a company US Anchor Manufacturing that got into a big court fight with Rule and Tie Down over pricing and predatory business practices. I didn't bother to dig too deep into this but a cursory reading would lead one to question who made whose product and is there much difference between the brand name and the generics and knock offs. They may even come from the same factory.

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/dis ... 5/1584584/
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Gee, thanks a lot Jim. Now you're making a "federal case" out of this :!: :!: :wink: :D :D :D

From reading the website link you posted (of which I understood a whopping 5% :!: :? ) it would appear possible that the anchor I have stamped "US ANCHOR" may actually be a legitimate anchor made by a legitimate United States company in the United States of America using American metals, workmanship, etc. Who knew :!: :!:

I think I will do more research. The anchor seems like such a sturdy, well-made anchor and exactly what I would like for S/V Bali Ha'i. However, unless I can determine with certainty that it was made in the USA, with US materials, by US workers, I am reluctant to use it as anything more than a "lunch hook" - of which I already have two (2). :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Why is it automatically assumed that "made in the USA" is higher quality than elsewhere ... ?

There was a period in the 70/80s where I wouldn't touch a Chevy or a Ford if I could get a Honda.

In my boating life I've seen some obviously cheap Danforth ripoffs ... but I've seen some pretty convincing copies too, including the monster that came with my boat wedged into the lazarette. It might be 50 pounds.!

Isn't my iPhone made in China ?

:)
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>> I am reluctant to use it as anything more than a "lunch hook" - of which I already have two (2).<<

Robert, there's absolutely nothing wrong with anchoring twice for lunch.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Neil Gordon wrote:>> I am reluctant to use it as anything more than a "lunch hook" - of which I already have two (2).<<

Robert, there's absolutely nothing wrong with anchoring twice for lunch.
Or thrice.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

pete faga wrote:Roberto
I remember many years ago that a lot of goods were marked made in usa.supposedly there is a town in China called usa!
I believe the scam was in the 60's or 70's
Pete
The town of Usa is in Japan, not China. Not too difficult to look up!

====
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usa,_Ōita

Usa (宇佐市 Usa-shi?) is a city located in Ōita Prefecture, Japan. The city was founded on April 1, 1967. On March 31, 2005, the towns of Ajimu and Innai (both from Usa District) were merged into Usa.

Usa is notable for being the location of the Usa Jingū, the head shrine of all of Hachiman shrines in Japan. Nearby is the Ōita Prefectural Museum of History.

As of 2003, the city has an estimated population of 49,021 and a population density of 274.94 persons per km². The total area is 178.30 km².

----

There have been false claims that products made in this town and exported to the US in the 1960s carried the label "MADE IN USA", for it to appear as if the product was made in the United States.

Products must state COUNTRY of ORIGIN, not CITY of ORIGIN. Using the statement "MADE IN USA" cannot refer to products made in Usa, Japan.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Martinhilldpo

Post by Martinhilldpo »

A couple of good whacks with a hammer in strategic places would help you decide the quality of material and manufacture.

I tried it on my iphone which turned out to be disapointingly fragile.
Carpe Diem!

Martin H. Vancouver Island.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

All this discussion about country of origin seems rather academic when talking about the integrity of a Danforth anchor. It will do a fine job for what you should be using it for no matter where it was made. When used as a lunch hook or to hold the stern off while set to your primary anchor it should be just fine. If it is big enough you could also row it out to kedge off with little fear of failure. Should you use it as your primary anchor with shifting storm winds in the forecast? Absolutely not but that would apply to any Danforth type anchor.

I have one hanging on the stern of Raven and I couldn't honestly tell you if it is a genuine unit or not. It did come in handy a couple of times this summer and I never worried about where it was made, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

A couple of thoughts and questions to further extend this thread. It's a lousy day in SE Florida - very windy, rainy, yuky :!: :(

Martin, your post reminded of the expression someone on this board stated some time ago:

"There are only two items you really need on a sailboat. Duct tape and WD40. If it's loose and not supposed to be - duct tape; if it's tight and not supposed to be - WD40".

I can now had "hammer" to the above list. :D

Steve, on a serious note, what is your reasoning for not recommending/using a Danforth anchor in projected high winds :?: While not a scientific survey, I see a lot of South Florida sailboats with Danforth-type anchors on their bow. Admittedly, I also see Bruce, CQR, Manson, Rocna, etc., but a significant number are Danforth. Is your concern based on "resetting" after a significant wind shift or is there another concern :?:

Thanks. Please remember, I am a rookie "tadpole" sailor.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote: Steve, on a serious note, what is your reasoning for not recommending/using a Danforth anchor in projected high winds :?:
You left out the reason: shifting storm winds
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!