CD14 New to Me!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Josh41

CD14 New to Me!

Post by Josh41 »

Hi all,
Just purchased a CD 14 Hull 650 from 1973. We are former owners of a Typhoon and are excited about being back on the forum. I have no idea of my old username as it was 10 years ago.

Looks like everything is intact. We rigged her in the driveway and although the sail is old, it looks like everything is there.
We have a few questions and any advise is welcome.

1. Is there supposed to be drain hole in the floor behind the centerboard trunk? We have one and seems awkward.

2. The previous owner warned that there is a lot of sail. If I get a new one, should I have it made a little smaller? Can you reef?
Can anyone tell me about sailing characteristics and offer any tips.

3. Wood? My Typhoon deck had some delamination in the deck, is there any wood to look for on the CD 14?

I think that is it for now.
Thanks
Josh
Andover MA
Dick Villamil

Re: CD14 New to Me!

Post by Dick Villamil »

congratulations! If the CD14 is anything like my CD10 there is a drain hole to allow water to run out of the boat while on land. The original plug had a short chain to connect the plug to the boat in case of capsizing. Whenever I pull the boat out of the water and store it on the trailer I pull the plug so rainwater just runs out. Get the king of plug with a "T" handle that when turned, expends the rubber (neoprene) stopper and makes a tight fit in the hole. They make brass ferrules that fit in the hole if yours is missing. I used an adhesive caulk to attach the ferrule inside the hole and then the plug fits inside the brass tube. The flange on the top of the ferrule fits flu=sh with the inside i=of the hull and you can cut the ferrule to the desired length so it doesn't project below the hull. Caulk liberally. The boat may be tender so just let the mainsheet out a bit. A new sail should be cut flatter to avoid the heeling characteristics of an old blown out sail. Human ballast is essential as is the case with my CD10.
plumber

Post by plumber »

congrats Josh
Great little boat the 14. She will handle a good blow but does tend to plow. there is a lot of sail there and if you think that you need a reef you should head for the dock , she is tender and tippy and I have come very close to rollin her in a gust. I've sailed mine for a few years now on the Oswego river in CNY and loved every minute. She is now at her new home on the North Carolina coast close to the Cape Fear river. this boat also rows like a dream. I am looking forward to takin her sail camping to all those out of the way little islands of the outer banks. Again congrats and enjoy, the 14 is one of the best little boats out there.
Brace
Dan Kretzer
Location: Cape Dory 14, Sumpwams River Rowing Skiff, RKL Cedar Strip Canoe, Alden Ocean Shell

Post by Dan Kretzer »

Hi Josh,
Also a former typhoon owner as well as other larger keel boats. Less is more IMO. I haven't experienced the plowing that Brace mentions but I have a new sail and replaced my bent 13' mast with a 12' one that brought the center of effort down to where it felt right. I have only felt the need for reefing on very gusty outings. May have a reef point added this winter.

The only possible hidden "wood problem" could be the transom core. If sound, make sure it stays that way by keeping the transom-rear seat joint well sealed.

The 14 rows very well, for a heavier boat, and I find its sailing characteristics to be grin inducing!
-Dan
Centerport, Long Island, NY