Winter storage recommendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jen1722terry

Winter storage recommendations

Post by jen1722terry »

Hey CDers!

Jenn and I plan to store our 31 somewhere in southern Maine this winter so she'll be closer to our New Hampshire home. We're looking for recommendations for boat yards in the area. We plan to store mast-up with shrink wrap.

And ideas would be appreciated.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Northstar1014

Re: Winter storage recommendations

Post by Northstar1014 »

I have stored with Handy Boat in Falmouth and Portland Yacht Services (at the original site -- they have since moved across town) in Portland. I was impressed with both.
S/V RESOLVED. 1983 CD-27. Westerbeke W-13.

Massachusetts
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Since you're in New Hampshire, why not go with a New Hampshire yard? Great Bay Marine in Newington is a full-service yard, but most owners I know there do their own work. Be aware that the Sarah Mildred Long Bridge is scheduled for demolition from October 10 through 16. The Piscataqua River will be closed to all through boat traffic during this time, so plan accordingly.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
frank3

Post by frank3 »

if you want to go to Great Bay Marine at newington you have to have your mast unstepped at a dock that they use on the river in order to get under the General Sullivan bridge. I would call Kittery boatyard for a price or Great Cove marina
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Actually, we wintered at Great Bay in Newington in 2013-14. We had to time the tides to get our 46-foot stick under the bridge. Nice enough yard, but we're looking for something closer to Portland or maybe up in Casco Bay.

thanks to all

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

jen1722terry wrote:Actually, we wintered at Great Bay in Newington in 2013-14. We had to time the tides to get our 46-foot stick under the bridge. Nice enough yard, but we're looking for something closer to Portland or maybe up in Casco Bay.

thanks to all

Jenn and Terry

Royal River Boat Yard - Allows mast up great yard

or

Maine Yacht Center (if they are not already full for outdoor storage) another great yard.
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Thanks Maine Sail

You're the second one to recommend Royal River. We emailed them for rates.

Guess you read our posts about the new tranny. We were researching fitting a TMC-40 when ZF made us an offer we could't refuse. We'll follow your advice about frequent fluid checks and changes.

We're curious why the old tranny seemed to wear out the springs on the damper quite quickly. ZF wanted the old Sachs damper to examine along with the old tranny. Don't know if we'll hear back from them or not.

We're off to Northeast early Sat. to resume our late summer cruise. We'll keep an eye peeled for your CS

Thanks again

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Mbigos

Post by Mbigos »

I was happy last winter at Yankee marina, Yarmouth. I do most work myself. Email me mbigos@bermansimmons.com , For more info.