Typhoon Weekender Correct for me?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

hinmo

Typhoon Weekender Correct for me?

Post by hinmo »

Hi - I was looking for an upgrade to my Compac 16....primarily for cockpit room and ability to get to the mast and forward cleat. (250lbs + and 60 years old)

I have always admired the CD Typhoon.

Then, an associate of mine who says he owned one in the past, warned me about the tiller/knee room. He was adamant. Is it really an issue? I have not been on board one yet.

Pls comment

Thanks
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
1980 Weekender Typhoon " Sailing Shoes"
mgphl52

Re: Typhoon Weekender Correct for me?

Post by mgphl52 »

Yes, the tiller can "be in the way" but it doesn't have to. The tiller pivots vertically.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

A big guy can sit forward of the tiller on the Typhoon. It lifts so you can go over someone's knees if you had to. Big thing for me going from the Compac 16, which I know well, is the difference in launching retrieving from a trailer if that is how you would launch it. It draws a bit more and is a fair bit heavier so you would have a certain procedure with it. I did not find our hard to rig though.
Paul
CDSOA Member
hinmo

Post by hinmo »

Thanks for the input.
I understand the launching is much different. I would be using a local boatyard travel lift to launch. How bout someone my weight moving forward in the boat for mast/halyard/forward cleat actions?

I guess I really need to board one in the water to decide for myself.
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
1980 Weekender Typhoon " Sailing Shoes"
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

If your motor is running, and the boat is equipped with the Spartan deck mounted motor mount, good chance the raw water intake will be out of the water.

Access to mast, etc is fine. You could consider running the halyards aft.

Did you consider the ComPac 23?

hinmo wrote:Thanks for the input.
I understand the launching is much different. I would be using a local boatyard travel lift to launch. How bout someone my weight moving forward in the boat for mast/halyard/forward cleat actions?

I guess I really need to board one in the water to decide for myself.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

As s2sailorlis stated, you going forward, with an outboard running and no one else in the cockpit, you'll definitely risk the outboard overheating.
However, if the jib is hank-on and you prep it before starting the outboard, there should not be a problem. Both of the Typhoons I've owned (weekenders) had both halyards internal (in the mast) and led aft to cleats on the coach roof, easily reached from the cockpit with one hand still on the tiller! :)
Depending on what you can find on the market, you may also want to consider a Ty22 or Typhoon Sr.
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
RLW

Post by RLW »

I am 6'1" and 235#. All previous observations have been my experience, and because I'm heavy I really appreciate the stiffness of the boat. I can stand on the rail at the mast and have no fear of excessive heel.
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

If you have a roller furling jib - you do want one - there is no need to go forward except to pick up/cast off mooring lines. Unless there is no wind at all there is no need to use a motor when doing either of these exercises as the boat is so easy to sail, so forgiving of your errors and so without annoying habits. One other thing, you mention cockpit size. It is best for 2 people, fine with 3, begins to be crowded with 4, especially if it's blowing. Most of your guests will not be happy sitting on the lee side when you are rail down.

sally
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Sally Perreten wrote:...One other thing, you mention cockpit size. It is best for 2 people, fine with 3, begins to be crowded with 4, especially if it's blowing. Most of your guests will not be happy sitting on the lee side when you are rail down. sally
That also applies to the 27, except that it is a bit harder to get the rail down that far. :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

Everybody is right on. I am 220 and sailed with another who is 250 and 6'4". With another in the boat and 5-10 knots of wind it is a nice sailing boat with enough room for all. I installed a CDI roller furler, topping lift and boom vang - all essential for single handed sailing. I sail on and off a dock with out the use of a motor. A canoe paddle sometimes helps and an electric motor for getting to the marina for haulout on my customized trailer. Takes two people to drop and raise the mast but I can walk around the boat without fear of tipping it over. I sailed my friends Compac 16 and this is a boat whereas the 16 was a tub. Tiller is no problem since it lifts out of the way or you can steer with your knees. The best part is when another boat cruises by and says "Nice looking boat - what is it?" That is when I light up with pride! She feels as solid as my C&C 34 and I often sail on the lee side to be close to the water without fear of going over......
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

<PONTIFICATE> If you have a Cape Dory rail in the water, you are either:
a) over trimmed;
b) have too much sail up;
c) sailing to far off the wind, see a) above.
Best VMG is usually less than 20 degrees of heel.
<!PONTIFICATE>

Disclaimer: I have only owned Typhoons, CD25s and CD28s...
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Carl Thunberg

Rail in the Water

Post by Carl Thunberg »

You forgot one more factor. The fun factor. Sometimes, it's just plain fun to bury the rail. Yes, it's inefficient, but there's more to life than efficiency.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
mgphl52

Re: Rail in the Water

Post by mgphl52 »

Carl Thunberg wrote:You forgot one more factor. The fun factor. Sometimes, it's just plain fun to bury the rail. Yes, it's inefficient, but there's more to life than efficiency.
Ya got me there! I do remember taking an ex-fiancee and her new husband out sailing on my 1st CD25... A nice little gust came up and I put the rail in the water and soaked him... probably downright mean, but you're right, it was fun!
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

The Typhoon sails much better than the Compac 19 or 23. I have taught on all three. They round up faster and firmer than the Ty would when over powered. And the overall feel of moving through the water is, well, just different. While the Compacs are not bad boats the Typhoon just is more of a sailor's boat. That means a lot to me.

p.s If you have five or six people in the Ty cockpit, you may get some water up through the drains. I would make sure you have ball valves or seacocks on them and just close if you have a big group and remember to open them upon leaving the boat.
Paul
CDSOA Member
tom ricks

Post by tom ricks »

I'm your age and weight. I have a hank-on jib. I've found the Typhoon very comfortable. But as people have noted, it gets a bit crowded in the cockpit with more than 2 people. But a Weekender has a bigger cockpit so maybe just fine for 3 or even 4.