Southern New England - Late August 2016

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

CD_Sailor

Southern New England - Late August 2016

Post by CD_Sailor »

CD28 "Kerry Deare of Barnegat" will be in southern New England for 2 - 3 weeks in late August and early September. We hope to visit the "usual suspects" (Block Island, Narragansett Bay and tributaries, Westport MA, etc). We always enjoy bumping into other CD sailors along the way so if you see this boat, stop by for a cup of tea (or worse).

Regards all.

Armond
Jim Walsh

Re: Southern New England - Late August 2016

Post by Jim Walsh »

Nice meeting you Armond. Great Salt Pond, Block Island, was certainly an entertaining place. I spent half the night keeping a close watch over my neighbors. Four of which dragged into a Grand Banks on my port side and one which finally stopped dragging his anchor just short of me. Luckily the front pushed through and I was able to get a couple hours sleep when things settled down.
It's always nice to meet a fellow Cape Dory owner. I wish you well as you continue your cruise.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Bruce and I just returned from our summer cruise last night. Didn't go to Block. I don't like the poor holding and dragging boats that seem to plague the Great Salt Pond. Anyway, we did stay in Coecles Harbor at Shelter Island for a couple of days. We were one of only a half dozen boats in there. Also swung from one of the free town moorings in Pine Island Bay for a couple of days until we heard that Hurricane Hermine was heading our way. Then we decided it was time to start heading west out of harm's way.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

Jim Walsh wrote:Nice meeting you Armond. Great Salt Pond, Block Island ... an entertaining place ... Luckily the front pushed through and I was able to get a couple hours sleep ... wish you well as you continue your cruise.
Jim, luck wasn't entirely on our side this time. After leaving Block to visit Westport MA and a few spots on Narragansett Bay, we returned to BI on Tuesday 30 Aug 16 to learn that Hurricane Hermine (https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... rm-Hermine) was threatening the Island. On the Friday before Labor Day my wife took the fast ferry to New London (and safety) and I prepared to lay over on Block Island.

The results were not pretty. After 2 days of storm preparation, I left the boat on a mooring and went ashore to a hotel (we'd been having mechanical issues and I was waiting for parts, so little choice). Early the following Tuesday a larger vessel came down on Kerry Deare, parting our mooring painter and sending the boat adrift in reported 50 to 70 knot winds. Amazingly she somehow came down on BI Boat Basin docks and was subsequently wrestled into a slip by four workers at about 0200.

We are now back in NJ after about 8 days work on boat and gear, and it seems we shall rise again. Not exactly sure why.

Nice to learn Steve made a fine and safe passage to Newfoundland, a delightful spot.

Regards,

Armond
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

CD_Sailor wrote: ... we shall rise again ...
Kerry Deare is back in business. It seems that some lessons (such as selling the boat) are just never learned, and we end up repeating ourselves.

This time we will be wandering aimlessly in one or another part of Long Island Sound for about half of July and most of August. I searched the weather sites pretty thoroughly but could not find a time that offered more heat, zero wind days, higher humidity, thunderstorm possibilities, etc., so we settled on this one. We've set aside a small trust fund to purchase ice.

If any folks here should somehow encounter Kerry Deare, usually being chased by an 8 foot hard dink, you are encouraged to make contact. No special reason, but then that's why we still have this sailboat.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

CD_Sailor wrote: ... Kerry Deare is back in business ... wandering aimlessly in one or another part of Long Island Sound for about half of July and most of August ...
Photographic evidence:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmibpQeJ
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

kerrydeare wrote:
CD_Sailor wrote: ... we shall rise again ...
Kerry Deare is back in business. It seems that some lessons (such as selling the boat) are just never learned, and we end up repeating ourselves.

This time we will be wandering aimlessly in one or another part of Long Island Sound for about half of July and most of August. I searched the weather sites pretty thoroughly but could not find a time that offered more heat, zero wind days, higher humidity, thunderstorm possibilities, etc., so we settled on this one. We've set aside a small trust fund to purchase ice.

If any folks here should somehow encounter Kerry Deare, usually being chased by an 8 foot hard dink, you are encouraged to make contact. No special reason, but then that's why we still have this sailboat.
Glad to hear it!