1971 Typhoon Weekender Hull #161 interested in new Home

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
matarcadia

1971 Typhoon Weekender Hull #161 interested in new Home

Post by matarcadia »

Hello,
I have a 1971, Hull# 161 Typhoon Weekender which I am considering for sale. I have had the boat for about 9 years. Sailing mostly in Florida. The boat on it's trailer is now in Arcadia, Michigan.

This might be considered a project boat with new sails and a custom galvanized trailer. I stopped sailing her because the decks are soft. I made interior supports for the mast tabernacle, but didn't like the idea as a permanent fix. I have enough 1/2" Balsa core to do the entire boat. What needs re-coring most is the aft part of the foredeck and the side decks back to the cockpit.

She never had a rub rail and the toe rails need to be renewed. All the rest of the teak is good and needs to be refinished. All the original bronze, aluminum and SS hardware is there. PO installed a main sheet traveler. Boat has a porcelain head and no holding tank.

PO painted the topsides. Where the paint is flaking off the original gel cote looks fine. It is white over white. Decks are original gel cote with repainted (tan) non-skid.

Mainsail with one reef is new from a Catalina 19, same dimensions as the Typhoon main. Newer Mack 135 Genoa and brand new, never used Rolly Tasker 110 working Jib.

The trailer is a wide stance power boat trailer which I converted for this boat. I mfg. tripods for screw jacks and a keel support with guide boards to launch and retrieve the boat from a ramp. New bow stop and winch. All metal parts have been hot dipped galvanized and fastened to the trailer with galvanized U-bolts.

I paid $1,000 for the Boat and have another $1,000 in the trailer, plus about $850 in new/nearly new sails.

All adds up to $2,850. What does the readership think? Is this a fair price? As you know these are wonderful boats. I would like to find her a new home with someone who would like to do a complete restoration.

The trailer will take this boat anywhere safely. No issues on the 1,700 miles from Fl. to Mi. Any and all responses appreciated. Let me what you think.

Michael Connolly
Alan Stewart

Re: 1971 Typhoon Weekender Hull #161 interested in new Home

Post by Alan Stewart »

Michael, it's pretty hard to fairly assess your boat & trailers potential value without seeing any photos, but based upon what you have described I'd say that you are "somewhat in the ballpark" if you plan to ask $2,850 or best reasonable offer. I've seen (in person), various other Typhoons of similar early vintage going for "Free" to $2,500 or more, depending upon overall condition and whether or not there is a trailer. The actual core material, end-grain balsa, ought to be 3/8" however, 1/2" will end up being too "proud" compared to surrounding areas when sheathed with layers of fiberglass unless you plan to redo the entire deck. It would be possible to sand or plane it down to the correct thickness, but may require lots of skim-filling to even out dips and ridges. How are the spars and rigging? Is there a motor bracket and/or outboard? Do you have a title for both boat and trailer? What about incidentals like cockpit and interior cushions? All of these things can add or detract from the overall value of the entire package and ought to be considered. A lot also depends upon the potential buyer and how long and hard they have been looking for a Typhoon - you can never predict what will sell in any given market, but in your area Tys may in fact be harder to find than they are back here on the East Coast. Go ahead and put her out there and see what happens, and best of luck to you and the next owner!
matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

Alan,
Thanks for the reply. You are correct and I mistyped the balsa core thickness, it is 3/8". I was planning to re-core the entire deck and have enough material for that. I figured that once you begin why not do the entire boat? I was planning on using Cousa Board anywhere there was to be any thru deck fittings and then balsa for the remainder of the deck.

I contacted Catherine about posting photos and am working on those, but can't seem to resize them for the attachment.

I agree that I am in the Ball Park on price. New owner is paying $1,000 for the boat, $1,000 for an excellent go anywhere ramp-launch, galvanized trailer, and $850 for a new/nearly new suit of sails. Put $2,000 into re-coring, paint and new teak toe rail and you are not over invested. I was planning on doing the work myself ...................just got into too many projects.

The boat has a full complement of cushions for cockpit and interior. All the interior wood work is good to excellent as I have removed it during my ownership. Original Spartan motor mount. Spars and rigging are ready to go. This boat could be sailed now with the addition of a mast step compression post. Problem is that is directly above where the porcelain head is placed.

Boat has FL title and trailer was assembled and has no title, but that is easy to rectify if one wanted a title.

This boat was no motor included in the sale.

I find that Typhoons are everywhere. Almost each time I walk the docks of marinas I see one.

Michael Connolly
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

During your 9 years of ownership has the boat been in Michigan or Florida? The year-round exposure to the elements in the tropics really takes a toll on boats when compared to the much shorter season further north - wear and tear on standing rigging is just one aspect of that. Re-coring the entire deck would be a huge project for someone, especially a "novice", so that limits your pool of potential buyers significantly, but done in sections (beginning with the worst areas), it may not be too daunting. I'm not sure that the original head is much of an advantage these days - without a USCG approved holding tank and Y-valve installed it is more of a liability, whereas a solid compression post is an asset that protects the boat from further damage. Perhaps something to consider..? If you have all that balsa core material I would recommend that either you or the new owner consider using some of it to reinforce the cockpit seat compartment covers as well as the sliding companionway cover - these are both notoriously weak and subject to cracking if stepped on but the upgrade is quite simple and it also results in making the hatch covers buoyant. Making a new toerail or rubrail is also a pretty complicated task and not one easily taken on by a "rookie", yet others have done it with satisfying results - power tools are essential as with all such jobs. In short, as I am sure you realize, your best buyer prospect will be a Typhoon enthusiast with some repair skills and plenty of time on their hands - like many existing Typhoon owners! It all becomes something of a labor of love and point of pride once the job is completed. Best of luck! (Be sure to recommend that the new owner joins the CDSOA.) Cheers!
matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

Alan,
You are correct on most points. This will be a labor of Love for someone to restore back to better than original glory. These boats are deserving of preservation and continued use. A good sailing boat never goes out of fashion. This is a good original boat with all the original features intact needing re-coring, topside paint and wood trim refinished or replaced. This for $1,000, plus an excellent trailer for $1,000 and new /nearly sails for another $850. I think those are more than fair prices.

I purchased the boat in Ft. Myers, FL and it has been in Michigan 4 of the past 9 years I have owned her stored under cover. I was going to replace the cockpit locker covers with Teak or Epi and hinge them to the lockers. Some of the very early Typhoons had more wood trim on them and they look great. The head would have to have a bladder or holding tank added to be legal in the Great Lakes. When the side decks are re-cored the cabin top won't flex so the rig will stay tuned. I believe that the cabin beam is not flexing so much as the cabin itself moving in relation to the side decks. This was a poor initial design and the compression post is one possible fix. I like it down below without the post.

If folks would like to see photos of this boat and trailer please call me @ 231.889.7152 and when I have your e-mail I can send photos to you. Thanks for the interest.
Michael Connolly
matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

Hello,
I saved a draft but now it is gone. Hopefully these photos will come thru. If I can find my draft I will repost it or compose another.
Thank you,
Michael Connolly
matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

Hello,
I am going to attempt to attach some photos of this Weekender. They should illustrate a very solid, fully galvanized, float off trailer and the condition of the Typhoon. The sails as described earlier are new or nearly new. I am interested in finding Sly Fox a new home. She can be sailed in her present condition, but should have a compression post added or a partial deck recoring. Looking for reasonable offers. I have about $2,850 in this boat in her present condition.

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/crufone ... t=3&page=1

E-mail me or call if you would like to discuss further 1.231.889.7152
Thank you,
Michael Connolly
matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

Hello,
I am trying again to attach the link to my photobucket album.
Here's a link to that album.
http://s32.photobucket.com/user/crufone/library/
rdins

Post by rdins »

I have a Typhoon, hull #276 and have recored my deck with balsa. Believe me it is a BIG job. Getting the old core out is not easy but getting the cosmetics back is pretty hard. I had the boat in a heated barn and worked on weekends and it took the better part of a year, but that included Awlgrip on the hull and deck and new toe and rub rails and refinishing all the teak. It was a labor of love and I enjoyed doing it but set aside a big block of time.
matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

Hello # 276,
Did you do the work from above or below? I was given the advice to cut the top deck off remove the balsa and then shore up the interior glass surface and do the re-coring. Several owners have done this work. While it is not rocket science it is time consuming. Once you know where all the deck fittings are to go use something solid and not balsa for those sections of the coring.
Michael
rdins

Post by rdins »

Yes I took the deck off from the top. I cut it up into sections, fore deck in 2 pieces, each side deck in 2 pieces and the aft deck in 1 piece.
matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

# 276,
Would you contact me via telephone so we can discuss your re-coring project? I haven't had any response from this Web Site with interest in the Typhoon. Perhaps folks are a bit put off by the re-coring which is needed. I have enough 3/8" balsa and Cousa (R) board to re-core everything. I might just go ahead and do the job and then sell the boat. I have some ideas about improving the structure which I would like to discuss with you. These boats are worth doing what it takes to save them. Thanks in advance for your response and helpful tips.
Michael
rdins

Post by rdins »

Can't see your phone #, what is it?
matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

Hello #276,
Phone Number is 231.889.7152
Michael
matarcadia

Re: 1971 Typhoon Weekender Hull #161 New Photos Added

Post by matarcadia »

Hello all,
I have added some more photos to the Photobucket link. http://s32.photobucket.com/user/crufone/library/
This is a very nice boat aside from the deck re coring needs. You won't need to purchase new sails for ten years and the Trailer will last you a lifetime. Call with your offers 1.231.889.7152.
Michael Connolly, Arcadia, MI 49613