Typhoons what to look for and expect in a used boat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

CMHawkins

Typhoons what to look for and expect in a used boat

Post by CMHawkins »

Here we go, first post. I am looking at the possibility of obtaining a Typhoon as a day sailer to get started in sailing. I'm wondering as to the pitfalls of these used boats and what to look for in a nice used boat. Also, a crazy question, how hard is it to lift one in the dry onto a trailer, not that I have a trailer for a Typhoon.......a detail guy, chemical engineer, handy mechanically also. Could provide a nice southern home for a Typhoon if someone is tired of theirs or wanting a fresh water home for one. Live near Lake Norman, NC. I guess the ideal situation would be to find a solid boat with a trailer. Open to tips and comments. I feel that the Typhoon is an excellent place for me to start....
Mike
ariasis

Re: Typhoons what to look for and expect in a used boat

Post by ariasis »

Great choice of boat.

Things to watch for, coach house sagging on the older models and watch the rudder attachment points.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
CMHawkins

Post by CMHawkins »

Thanks Mr. Chris for the information. I have heard of the balsa core breaking down and being soft causing crazing of top gel coat. In defining an older model, it there a point forward in the model line that some of these points are addressed in the design....ie better model year to look for......or is it simply age and the amount of care the boat has received....?

Mike
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Mike,

The above comments are accurate as far as taking a closer look at the cabin top on a weekender (Typhoon with a buddy cabin) where the mast sits. Look for crazing around the deck house and any sagging. This is not a deal breaker.

I would also check for soggy deck laminate as mentioned. Other than that and even with that, you can bring an old, tired Typhoon back to resplendent life with relatively little time and effort compared to a larger boat. Our first boat, also a Typhoon, was pretty rough but came out looking quite lovely and still turns heads for my friend who now sails her on a local lake.

You will need to put some thought into hauling out with the trailer and check your boat ramp for a good depth and distance into the water. These boats do not go in and out quite as easily as a similarly sized centerboarder. But that to me is the only drawback to this boat. The Ty has taken me through 35 knots on Lake Superior and has beaten scows on city lakes in light air! (OK so I did have a mylar Genny.) They are great boats that sail well, look fabulous and ensure pride of ownership for a reasonable amount of cash. Alberg got it right.

I think you will find this board a wealth of information when you get one and no question will be too dumb or stump anyone.
Paul
CDSOA Member
CMHawkins

Post by CMHawkins »

Paul,

Thanks for more information....everyone has contributed a little more knowledge about Typhoons. So it looks like a extendable type trailer is best to get the boat out to about 6-8 ft of depth of water to float off. Soft spots can be found in the deck and cabin core, but not too big of a deal. Important to have good support under the mast mount. I have seen posts under this and assume an arch support could also be fabricated to the sides out of today's materials for strength if needed....

Mike
RLW

Post by RLW »

Regarding float on-float off launch and retrieval...the slope of the ramp is critical. Too shallow a slope will require a third wheel (on the tongue) and disconnecting the trailer hitch (keeping her attached another way, obviously), even with the extended tongue, and letting the rig out far enough to find deep water. Ask me how I know...
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI