Torqueedo Outboard motor for a Typhoon Weekender?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

beacontwo

Torqueedo Outboard motor for a Typhoon Weekender?

Post by beacontwo »

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with a Torqueedo Electric Outboard motor 1003L for a Typhoon Weekender. I have just spent several frustrating summers with a Lehr 5hp propane motor which was nothing but trouble and then a Tohatsu 4 hp which was too heavy and hard to start after 6 weeks of use. I need an easy to start RELIABLE outboard to get in and out of a narrow channel and marina area. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. Susan Graefe
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Torqueedo Outboard motor for a Typhoon Weekender?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Not driving a weekender, but I have a 1003S that powers my inflatable. I have a full season's experience with it, including a two week coastal cruise.

No problem with reliability, except an occasional need to reboot at the initial start. That's as simple as disconnecting and reconnecting the cables, and takes about 15 seconds.

Range in the dinghy was not a problem, i.e., from mooring to dock, etc., etc. When cruising, the only available source for a recharge was my on board DC and that was sufficient. At the marina, I just plug into AC shore power, or I take the battery home for an overnight charge. The battery's about 10 lbs, easy to take on/off and easy to carry.

At modest RPM battery life was no issue. Wide open is a different story. If you're needing maximum power to fight the current, and depending how long a ride you're taking, of course, you might not have enough. Odds are you won't want to invest in a second battery.

I do like the idea of no gas on board and nothing to spill.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
beacontwo

Post by beacontwo »

Thanks for your input, Neil. I am happy to hear that you have had a positive Torqueedo experience for your inflatable. I have been speaking with Skip Barker in Dartmouth, MA who is a distributor for Torqeedo. He thinks the Weekender would do best with the Torqueedo 2.0 which is comparable to a 5 HP motor and has a longer battery life. I sail on Narragansett Bay and have had the experience of needing to get into Wickford harbor with the wind blowing straight out of the harbor with the tide going out as well -resulting in a powerful current. I need a motor that can safely get me through that breakwater area. I am trying to rationalize the huge expense with PEACE OF MIND, ease of use, and reliability.

Fair Winds.
Susan Graefe
"Seascape" TyW 1939
CDSOA member #299
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Susan:

This is a thread that discusses, in part, the Torqueedo and the Ty Weekender.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... +Weekender

It is six (6) years old so some of the performance characteristics may be different today.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
beacontwo

Post by beacontwo »

Thanks for sharing this thread Roberto. My favorite motor was a 2 stroke 4hp Johnson which lasted 18 years and was perfect for the Ty weekender. However, it got very tired.

Susan Graefe
"Seascape" Ty Weekender #1939
CDSOA member #299
RLW

Post by RLW »

Susan,

The J4 long shaft has been perfect for me too. Here's what I wrote last year about mine...

"The Johnson Sailmaster 4 did not run when I bought the boat; in fact it was a complete mess! The PO did not want me to have the motor because of its condition, but my offer included the non-running outboard. It had good compression and a good spark, so I knew I could save it. A lower unit from eBay, new wires, rebuilt fuel pump, rebuilt carburetor, new recoil spring, etc and I've got a one pull starting motor running 50:1 E zero (alcohol free) fuel. I'm working on a way to carry the motor and bracket down below while on my mooring, but I'll need it on the stern when I move the boat to a slip for 2 months in mid October. The twin cylinder 4 seems perfect for the TY. We cruised today at 3.5 k at half throttle (three adult males onboard), and although we didn't measure our speed at higher throttle, I suspect we topped 5 k."

I subsequently measured my speed at full throttle, and she does in fact make 5 knots. Coincidentally to your post, just last night I changed the motor cover from the ratty one that came with the boat to one that's not only cosmetically nicer, but also still has the sound insulation in it! Yes, also from eBay. These motors, and the Evinrude equivalent are plentiful, cheap, and easily restored. BTW...I do like the electric option too.
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

I have been using a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 on a Capri 22 since 2011. I sail out of Winthrop MA and the boat spends the summer on a mooring. A 115 watt solar panel array recharges the batteries.

This Torqeedo model is equivalent to a 5 to 6 HP gas engine with none of the disadvantages. Instant on and fantastic low end torque. Quiet too!

The batteries give me the equivalent to a gallon of gas. I can blow it all in high speed or stretch it out over 20 nautical miles at 2-3 knots.

Depends what is most important to you. I prefer sailing but have a backup "auxiliary".

The 1003 is the next model down but has an integrated but removable battery. Makes the whole setup much easier!
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
beacontwo

Post by beacontwo »

Thanks, John. It is very helpful to know you have been successfully using a Torqueedo 2.0. Are you using their $2700.00 battery also? I was wondering how the 40 lb motor and 50 lb battery would balance out in the TY? Hopefully the battery will be small enough to fit under the seat.

Susan Graefe
Seascape- Ty Weekender#1939
CDSOA member #299
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

beacontwo wrote:Thanks, John. It is very helpful to know you have been successfully using a Torqueedo 2.0. Are you using their $2700.00 battery also? I was wondering how the 40 lb motor and 50 lb battery would balance out in the TY? Hopefully the battery will be small enough to fit under the seat.

Susan Graefe
Seascape- Ty Weekender#1939
CDSOA member #299
Susan,

I took the economical approach and spent approximately $300 for four GC2 lead-acid Golf Cart batteries at Sam's Club. That gives me 215 amp-hours at 24 volts but weighs 260+ lbs. Fortunately, these batteries are mounted low right over the keel on the Capri 22 (replaces the cooler).

Of course, lead-acid batteries should not be regularly drawn down below the 50% level to get the best life out of that technology. I use Genasun MPPT Boost controller (genasun.com/all-products/solar-charge-controllers/for-lithium/gvb-8a-li-lithium-solar-boost-controller/) to use an array of nominal 12 volt Ganz flexible solar panels connected in parallel (diode isolated) to produce the charging voltages for "24 volts".

The Torqeedo Li-Fe batteries can be discharged to effectively 0% without harm. The lithium-iron technology is the "safe" one. The other lithium technologies have made the news when the protection circuitry fails. They are also much lighter AND require only half the amp-hours of the lead-acid batteries to go the same distance.

If you select the Torqeedo Travel series, the Li-Fe battery sits on top of the motor. It can be charged while running (solar panels) or you can purchase a second "spare" battery at some future date ($699 list).

For a Typhoon, The Torqeedo 1003 is a simple self contained solution for boats up to 3000 lbs.

I purchased mine from Defender during their annual "warehouse" sale getting significant savings. The 4-day sale begins in a few days...
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Post by Ned Crockett »

Susan,

I sail/race my Typhoon Weekender on the Rappahannock River in Virginia. There are over 50, that's right, 50 Typhoons in our immediate area. I would say one half of the owners, including myself, use the Honda 2.0-2.3 hp long shaft. It pushes us at hull speed and weighs only 28 lbs. Most of us remove it from our stern prior to racing and store it in the cabin. It burns a quart of gas (don't have to mix) in an hour and a half. The cost of a new one is about $800.

As an aside, my yacht club is sponsoring the Typhoon Nationals to be held June 3 - 5. It is a fun event with two fleets of racing, depending upon one's racing experience. We have had Ty owners come from all over including Michigan and up and down the Atlantic coast. Our website is rryc.org.

Good luck with your motor search.
"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

Ned Crockett wrote:Susan,

I sail/race my Typhoon Weekender on the Rappahannock River in Virginia. There are over 50, that's right, 50 Typhoons in our immediate area. I would say one half of the owners, including myself, use the Honda 2.0-2.3 hp long shaft. It pushes us at hull speed and weighs only 28 lbs. Most of us remove it from our stern prior to racing and store it in the cabin. It burns a quart of gas (don't have to mix) in an hour and a half. The cost of a new one is about $800.

As an aside, my yacht club is sponsoring the Typhoon Nationals to be held June 3 - 5. It is a fun event with two fleets of racing, depending upon one's racing experience. We have had Ty owners come from all over including Michigan and up and down the Atlantic coast. Our website is rryc.org.

Good luck with your motor search.
The Torqeedo 1003 fits the same weight and removal options (unlike my Cruise 2.0). I opted for a larger cruising range and had a convenient battery mounting location. Working on several ideas for my CD25. My wife and I enjoy the quiet and lack of fumes. Annual maintenance is very simple and minimal.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

~ Carl Lane
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I am on my second Torqeedo 1003L for my Pearson Ensign (22' Alberg design)--dont ask about the first one-- I love it--so I bought the second one. I race the Ensign and we pull the motor during the race. I have an extra battery so I can go fast out to the race and still motor home. With the second one, I also purchased the remote throttle. It allows me to keep the battery and the throttle in the cockpit. Taking the bare engine off and stowing during a race is a piece of cake with this set up. I also have the fast charging charger--so I can charge a battery in an hour or so. The regular charger takes overnight to charge a battery.
No more pulling an outboard motor, especially on a hot day!
No gas fumes!
Very quiet, unlike the honda air cooled.
Very light weight.
It ALWAYS cranks!
beacontwo

Post by beacontwo »

Thank you John, This is helpful information. I have finally decided to go with the Torqueedo 2.0. I am also getting the cockpit controls and remote. I am excited about the prospect of a reliable, quiet engine. I opted for the more powerful model for safety reasons when the wind blows out of Wickford Harbor at the same time the tide is going out and I want to get in.
Susan Graefe
Typhoon Weekender #1939
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

beacontwo wrote:Thank you John, This is helpful information. I have finally decided to go with the Torqueedo 2.0. I am also getting the cockpit controls and remote. I am excited about the prospect of a reliable, quiet engine. I opted for the more powerful model for safety reasons when the wind blows out of Wickford Harbor at the same time the tide is going out and I want to get in.
Susan Graefe
Typhoon Weekender #1939
Susan,

You will be happy with your choice!
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

~ Carl Lane
Adrift54

Post by Adrift54 »

Hi Susan, was wondering how the electric motor option worked out. I am also looking into that but was worried I'd run out of charge too soon and be left with no alternative propulsion...