Northeast Move

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jrisler

Northeast Move

Post by jrisler »

Everyone, as always, thanks for all the help and advice. Due to a change in work situation, I will be moving from Philadelphia to Rockland, Maine. Although I am very excited about this new opportunity, I have a couple practical questions related to my Cape Dory Typhoon.

First, although the boat is on a trailer, but that trailer is not presently road-worthy. I know I would have to replace the tires, get brakes installed, and probably have the bearing replaced. I also have not registered it, as it just lives in my boat yard. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on professional boat movers, especially given the relatively small size of my boat. Any thoughts on a reasonable price would also be appreciated.

Second, I would appreciate the advice of anyone who is familiar with the sailing community in the Rockland area. I need somewhere that will allow me to keep and work on my boat, as the new apartment did not come with space to keep a boat. It appears that the area is home to a number of boat yards and yacht clubs. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for which of these might be best for a newer sailor with a boat that sometimes needs a little extra love and attention?

Thanks to everyone in advance.
Carl Thunberg

Re: Northeast Move

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Trailer vs. Haul - Not knowing the type or condition of the trailer, it's difficult to know how to advise you on that. Once you pay for a boat haul, you have nothing to show for the money except that your boat is now at its new home. Or you can invest in upgrading the trailer, and then you have a working trailer in the end that you can continue to use. Price it both ways, and see what fits your needs and budget.

Welcome to Maine! I'm a seasonal resident "from away", so I'll let the real locals speak up about boat yards. You are moving to some of the best cruising grounds on the planet! Your first purchase should be the "Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast" by Taft.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

You Lucky Guy! Penobscot Bay is the Happy Sailing Grounds for us Maine cruisers! Unfortunately, I don't know much about the marinas in Rockland, except for the occassional overnight on a mooring. But I do have a word of advice. Start saving up for your next Cape Dory! Because you are gonna want to spend some time exploring all the nooks and gunk holes and islands. And each time out you'll want to go further and stay out longer!
Rockland is also a great town, lots of local fishing tradition as well as a healthy summer tourist trade and home to the best donut shop on the planet.
You Lucky Guy!
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
RLW

Post by RLW »

You might want to look into Uship.com. You could likely find someone to carry the boat on the trailer on a truck to your destination.
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Uffda

Post by Uffda »

Welcome to Rockland. Spruce Head Marine in South Thomaston is the place to go if you want to work on your own boat. I've been a customer for many years and currently have 2 boats there. A cd typhoon senior which will be for sale and a Hinckley pilot 35.
tom ricks

Post by tom ricks »

Penobscot Bay is indeed a great sailing area. You need to get used to big fogs and bigger tides, but that's all part of the fun.

Two recommendations: Drop by Hamilton Marine to pick up the cruising guides. Also, go to the book sales at local libraries (Camden has an especially nice library) and find the "sailing/maritime" sections. You'll see lots of good books, memoirs and such about the bay.

Btw, the big secret here is that the nicest month of the year is September.

Best,
Tom Ricks
jrisler

Post by jrisler »

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I really can't wait to get up there. A question regarding Spruce Head Marine, do they also offer moorings (should I ever get the boat off the trailer), or will I have to find somewhere else to sail out of. If so, does anyone have any recommendations for that?

Thanks,

John
Uffda

Post by Uffda »

Merchants landing has moorings just off the marina