Cutlass Bearing CD 30

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John M

Cutlass Bearing CD 30

Post by John M »

I have a 1984 CD 30, Hanalei I have noticed that I am developing some play in the cutlass bearing. I have obtained the new part and have reviewed the drawings in the owner’s manual. My issue is access, I definitely do not fit and my son tried who is quite fit and could not get access to the shaft coupling. It seems that a major barrier is a large metal bracket for the steering blocking access from the locker area.
I was wondering if anyone had tackled this project on a CD 30 and could give me any pointers. I am considering a trip down the intercostal to Florida within the next few years and want this fixed.
John M.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Cutlass Bearing CD 30

Post by jbenagh »

I recently removed the steering gear mount you mention from my CD30. It was not nearly as hard as I expected.

Just prior to sale on Christine C, the boat yard replaced the hose on the cutless bearing. They cut some of the port side engine compartment cover to improve the access. When done they replaced it with doubling blocks. I can get pictures for you this weekend if you need them.

I am not large or small but can just fit, uncomfortably, in the locker, on my head and work on the aft end of the engine.

Jeff
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

I'm missing something. Is your transmission a V drive? Uncertain on the later boats...

Here's the thread that covered stuffing box replacement:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31120

Another one about the cutless.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31840

Your problem is getting the prop shaft out first, right? Yea, you need to pull the four bolts on the coupler, the setscrews holding the coupler to the shaft, and then press the coupler off the shaft. Not too fun.

Three blade props need to get pulled too, some two blade ones can be eased past the rudder.

I used a sawzall and a loose hacksaw blade to split the cutless shell and then turned it out, collapsing the shell into the cut line. No setscrews on my cutless.
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Just a word of caution about using a sawzall or hacksaw blade on the old cutless bearing. While there is unfortunately no other reasonable option other than cutting it and collapsing it on itself to remove it, some of our Cape Dories used an FRP stern tube which is very thin and susceptible to saw blade damage (see my post from several years ago regarding my horror story.)
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Agreed- I should have been more precise. Use the sawzall to get within a few thousandths of the outside, and finish with the hacksaw blade wrapped in hockey tape for a handle.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

One other trick is to leave a little bit of the cutlass sticking out of the tube. Just enough to grab with vice grips. When I have to remove the old one, I cut it as others have mentioned using only a hacksaw blade, then grab it with the vice grip and collapse it. Pulls right out. A sawzall is more aggressive than I care for.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
John M

Post by John M »

Thanks for your input, I do not have the V drive. I have the Universal M18 engine. I would be interested in the modifications to boat yard made to improve access.
John M.