Cape Dory Dink 7'7" any owners out there?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Parsons

Cape Dory Dink 7'7" any owners out there?

Post by Bob Parsons »

I have just acquired a nice CD Dink 7'7" Hull No.109.
Would appreciate hearing from anyone familiar with this boat, there is not much information available.
Any sales literature, owners manual, construction details (especially transom).
This boat spent it's first life as a tender to a 30' Pearson in Marblehead Harbor.
"Crouton" will enjoy retirement in East Falmouth on Cape Cod rowing and sailing on Eel River and Waquoit Bay.
Picture is just as I brought her home and before a good scrub down, she is complete with original oars and sail kit.
Will need to do some glass repair to the pivot on the centerboard and possible that the transom will need some attention otherwise nice condition for 45+ year old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968(?) Cape Dory Dink 7'7" Hull No 109 "Crouton"
Previous: 1969 Typhoon Weekender Hull No 28 "Honey-Doo"

Bob
ariasis

Re: Cape Dory Dink 7'7" any owners out there?

Post by ariasis »

Wow super neat little project.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Bob Parsons

Post by Bob Parsons »

Thanks Chris, I will have to post as a project as we get to it!

Bob
Northstar1014

Post by Northstar1014 »

If you call Robinhood Marine they might be able to help you out.
S/V RESOLVED. 1983 CD-27. Westerbeke W-13.

Massachusetts
Bob Parsons

Post by Bob Parsons »

Thanks, I sent Robinhood Marine a nice e-mail a while ago, but they never responded.
Guess I'll call them next! :wink:

Bob
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Love the dink. Great find!
I'll bet a schooner of beer that the "original" oars were flat bladed and the spooned oars are replacements. :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Bob Parsons

Post by Bob Parsons »

Hey Jim,

I won't take the bet because I don't know other than the owner told me they were original.
Either way those oars are beautiful things! :wink:

Cheers,
Bob

Bob
Bob Parsons

Post by Bob Parsons »

There is some evidence that the curved oars could be the originals, the 1970s CD10/14 brochure on our site lists the option:

"7' Spoon oars - Lightweight with leathers, copper tips, and round bronze oarlocks installed. (highly recommended) ..... pr. 32.00"

Wow, $32.00 for the pair!
Wish I had the Dink brochure, there must have been one!

Regards,

Bob
swpatooty2

Post by swpatooty2 »

I had a CD 7'7" back in the later 1960's in East Dennis, Mass. Don't remember where I got it, or the hull number. It was a fun tender to a 25-foot sailboat, and I sold it (perhaps with the 25-footer) when I moved into a larger boat. Since then, I have had 3 or 4 CD 10's, which I have resurrected from real disarray and passed along to new owners.
Bob Parsons

Post by Bob Parsons »

Nice to hear from a former owner of a CD 7'7", In the late sixties it would have been pretty much a new boat!
I have found a Motor Boating Magazine Boat Annual Show edition of January 1968 where Cape Dory is introducing the Dink:

"The lightweight fiberglass Dink is the newest boat to be launched by the Cape Dory Co. Inc, West Bridgewater, Mass.
The multi-purpose little boat weighs 110 pounds and may be sailed with it's cat rig on Sitka spruce spars, rowed, or powered by a small outboard"

I hope it's ok to quote from a 47 year old magazine.. :)

Bob
David Patterson

Post by David Patterson »

Thanks for this thread. I've been seeking info on what I hear called a "Cape Dory 7 1/2" dinghy. I am in the process of purchasing a 1973 lightly used one, and hoping to run across specifications and descriptions of how it sails and rows. I may not come into actual possession of it, however, until I sail across Juan de Fuca Strait to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Show in early September. When I get the little boat I'll post the hull number and other info. I was surprised that a dinghy this size would have an actual centerboard. The board must partly account for the somewhat heavy weight for its size. Any data about the 7 1/2 will be very welcome to me. Here are some photos by the current owner. I expect the rudder shape of the (re-done) rudder may be needed to help overcome some weather helm by the cat boat mast placement, but I've no idea, really. What is the centerboard made of? Etc. I'm eager to try this boat out. I'm getting it for my everyday use in my current cruising life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Parsons

Post by Bob Parsons »

Hi David,

Great find, it looks to be a beautifully kept, restored example. Interesting rub rail treatment.
I've attached pics of my rudder and centerboard (which needs a rebuild).
The centerboard weighs about six pounds, it is made of 1/2 inch plywood and is covered with a layer of mat and fiberglass, the pivot point is a flat bronze bar retained by stainless clips thru-bolted to the plywood, there is a four inch diameter lead "puck" sandwiched lower aft corner.

Looking forward to comparing notes when you have her in your possession!

Regards,
Bob

Bob
David Patterson

Post by David Patterson »

Very helpful, Bob. When I get this boat into my eager hands, I'll let you know what I find. David, Friday Harbor
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

If you end up looking for bronze Pintles and Gudgeons try Hamilton Marine. They are not in their catalog so just ask. Last time I ask they still had 100's in stock.
Have A Nice Day
Bob Parsons

Post by Bob Parsons »

Sharkbait,

Thanks for the Hamilton Marine tip, bought a gudgeon, arrived today, near perfect match to the original Spartan.
Could be these are Spartan?

Bob