Kill switch for auxiliary engine on Cape Dory sailboats

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Kill switch for auxiliary engine on Cape Dory sailboats

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Many boats under 35 feet have a kill switch. When pulled out, this spring-loaded pin completes a circuit and keeps your engine running. A small clip pushes under the switch to hold it open. This clip is attached to a lanyard that should be attached somewhere on the boat operator’s body. Usually a flexible line coiled like a spring, the lanyard allows the operator reasonable movement. If the operator falls off the seat or into the water, the clip pulls out, the pin closes and the engine shuts down.

If your boat doesn’t have a kill switch, you can retrofit it with various types of commercially available switches. Radio-activated switches allow the operator to wander a certain distance from the console before shutting the engine down; water-activated models shut down the boat if the operator goes overboard.
An important piece of safety equipment, a kill switch can prevent man-overboard fatalities, providing it’s used. All too often, however, I see the lanyard and clip attached to the instrument panel, while the other end hangs unattached. This renders the kill switch useless. The second-worst thing to falling overboard is falling overboard and watching your boat sail away. Be sure to have a kill switch on board and use it faithfully.

The above is from a United States Power Squadron newsletter. Above this article was the picture of a sailboat. Initially, I thought this was for powerboaters but then the read the language "watching your boat sail away".

I had never thought of this.

Does anyone use a kill switch on the engine :?: If so, how was it installed, etc. :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
sharkbait

Re: Kill switch for auxiliary engine on Cape Dory sailboats

Post by sharkbait »

First and foremost a kill switch will not help a lot if your sails are up. The best you can hope for is the boat will round-up and stall into the wind. If the auto-pilot is engaged you are really up the creek without a paddle. A kill switch could be installed if you just happen to have a fuel solenoid. Most of the sailboats I am familiar with only have a kill cable which pulls the rack back on the engine and denies the engine fuel.
Have A Nice Day
c1josh

Re: Kill switch for auxiliary engine on Cape Dory sailboats

Post by c1josh »

Yep. It's on the outboard on CD25 S/V Sunset. A little springy cord attaches it to the motor that's easy to grab and pull.

Josh