Typhoon motor mount on rear deck

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Adrift54

Typhoon motor mount on rear deck

Post by Adrift54 »

I had a fiberglass guy look over the deck because it flexes some with the motor mount/motor (motor is 57 lbs). Said he thought, but was not sure, maybe it was only glass without a core. I thought a core like balsa had to be there. Thoughts?
ariasis

Re: Typhoon motor mount on rear deck

Post by ariasis »

If I remember correctly it is just really thick fiberglass. The cleat and motor mount should have backing plates/boards.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

my typhoon had a balsa core that got wet via the poorly factory bedded hardware. It flexed a lot and I tried a repair - that was 6 years ago but now I am going to cut away the aft deck, dry it out and fill with resin and chopped glass. So, it is quite likely that your core is wet and soft. Good luck! There was an older post about repairing the soaked core from below - but the aft deck offers no access. My earlier "repair" was by drilling many holes, using the bent nail in an electric drill to remove the soggy core - then filling with thickened resin. It left many "pillars" of hardened resin that have finally pushed through the upper skin. Now it is time to do it right.
Adrift54

Post by Adrift54 »

Ok and thanks for the info. I will find out next week and let you know. The small access hole is being replaced by a larger rectangular lexan type which will provide better access for putting holes in the core, if in fact there is balsa there. My fingers are crossed that it is just thick glass....
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

There may have been delamination of the fiberglass from the core without getting water into it - just a thought.
Adrift54

Post by Adrift54 »

In this case, delamination without wetness, if I remove the core from underneath and epoxy, in its place, a composite type backer board to stiffen the fiberglass, would this be something you think might be reasonable as a long term repair? Not a perfect solution, but a 90% solution?
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I'd be surprised if you didn't have water damage. Working from underneath can be a difficult and messy repair. I had small areas of rot around the mount, I cut them out from the top and filled with layers of fiberglass cloth and some woven roving for a solid fiberglass area.

Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

there was a post a few years ago on how to replace the core from below - check it out since it gives a lot of information and hints. It is much easier to do it from above and will look OK when finished - but it takes some skill working with fiberglass and a nice gelcoat paint job. I am going to work on my aft deck and a couple of other wet spots on the cockpit seats. once the boat is in the water. I will use a portable generator on the dock when I need power tools. Have been procrastinating doing this over the past 3 or 4 years but now is the time...