Fitting an outboard to a 1974 CD 25"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

damvolpe

Fitting an outboard to a 1974 CD 25"

Post by damvolpe »

HI all. I've just bought my first ever boat, a 1974 Cape Dory 25" and I am really excited to get her shipshape and sailing. I've got a bunch of work to do but I've got one big issue I need some fast advice with. The boat has an inboard gas engine that may or may not be functional. I could fix it up but I've been advised by numerous people not to bother since any parts I might need would have to be machined. I'm planning on equipping the boat with a new outboard but the distance between the top of the engine mount and the bottom of the lazarette is only 11". I guess originally it was intended for a smaller 2 stroke and the modern engines don't fit. I read on here before joining that a number of members use the Tohatsu Sail Pro which looks like a great fit for the boat. I'm intending to get this engine but the dimension in question for the 6HP is almost 15". The guy at the yard says its not possible to lower the mount. I don't like the idea of hanging it off the stern. I was thinking about raising the cabinet of the lazarette but don't know how that will look. Does anybody have another suggestion or have have any of you dealt with this issue? I appreciate any and all help and I'm happy to become part of this community!
Damian Volpe
Lookfar 1976 CD25
Southold, NY
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Re: Fitting an outboard to a 1974 CD 25"

Post by Terry »

Hey.
After the original Evinrude died, I bought the SailPro. It dropped in nicely. Yes, the hatch doesn't close all the way; one day I'll raise the entire hatch. Also, the way the fuel line enters, at least on my CD25, the drop board won't fit without disconnecting the fuel. Not a big deal. I may build a thinner board or something. One day. At the moment neither the hatch partially open nor the fuel-entry issue bothers me at all. I did glue a piece of closed-cell foam to the underside of the hatch where it touches the motor.

One thing I like on the SailPro is the alternator output to charge the batteries. Also, with the motor's tiller extended, the hatch dropped on the motor, the motor stays straight ahead and the throttle is accessible. With the exhaust well below the surface, it breathes well, which the Evinrude didn't do at all.

That's how I did it. And while I really love the look of a ship-shape Cape Dory, varnished and shiny, Cassandra isn't that at all. She doesn't complain, handling it well.

All the best and enjoy the CD25.

Terry
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I and many others have used that Tohatsu (or the Nissan equivalent) on the CD25. You may need to add or modify the engine well so there is a board to mount the engine at the right height.
That is a great motor for the boat. I had the same and was always happy with it. There was one carb fouling issue but I fixed it and never looked back.
Jeff
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Hello
I believe your 6 hp 4 stoke is the right way to go for the most power and smaller package if you need the higher power for operating in higher currents and wind conditions. Apparently you still have some similar issues to resolve.
Btw, I am jealous of those who can get away with a small lightweight 4 hp engine!
I have the same situation on my old 1975 which likely has the same foamed-in fiberglass liner in the engine lazarette. The previous owners of mine had literally gouged out the rear wall toward the transom to make room for the larger and heavier Yamaha 9.9 hi thrust engine which is larger in every dimension. The top hatch cover was crudely modified to sit above the engine, and the engine bracket in the well was moved forward and lowered to make it fit. The Yamaha tiller handle was fixed in one spot with very little turn available but was workable. It will be better after I raise the whole hatch higher and in a better, less ugly manner. The Yamaha is much heavier also, but is also a very good engine. If it had not been included with the boat I would buy the 6 hp like yours. I will be looking for how you solve the top fiberglass cover.
Anyone else out there solved this yet in an attractive manner? I am a long time from getting in the water so still have time to solve this issue.
Best wishes
BobC
Moon Shine
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
damvolpe

Post by damvolpe »

Hey. I appreciate your replies. Did you all get the 25" shaft or the 20"? I'll be heading to the boat this weekend to measure it up and do some work on the bottom. I like the foam idea until I can get the hatch raised. No issues with heat there?

Thanks
Damian
Damian Volpe
Lookfar 1976 CD25
Southold, NY
Paul Clayton

Post by Paul Clayton »

I'd say go with the long shaft motor. As the boat pitches, that will help keep the propeller submerged.

I had a Nissan which was a good motor but recently replaced it with a Yamaha. In either case, the motor sat too high for the lazarette cover to close fully, so I built a skirt around the cover to give it some more depth. I also had to build a new motor mount to lift the motor up a bit to make it fit. I wrote a short post at my website showing the latest motor mount in case you are interested:

http://neuseriversailors.com/special_fe ... mount.html
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Hi,
Regarding the motor shaft length, the Yamaha 9.9 that came with my 1975 CD25 is an extra long (XL) shaft and I consider it the right length for me. Measure carefully, and make sure you are happy before you order a shorter "Long shaft"--it is your choice. These nice riding boats are prone to hobby horsing in a head sea under power. Also, my longer XL is useless for sharing time on most small boats and tenders as the shaft is way too long. However, I used to sail Lake Ponchartrain and Galveston Bay with my older Alberg sailboat, and appreciate having the thrust as far below the surface as reasonable, especially on a bad day. If you sail in protected calm waters it is not as important.
Btw, also consider attaching a zinc on any metal brackets at the motor well to help prevent electrolysis on your nearby engine parts.
BobC
Moon Shine
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
damvolpe

Post by damvolpe »

Thanks Bob. Thanks Paul. Great link to those images. I imagine rebuilding the mount won't be too far off in my future. Since there's no way to tilt the motor up with this set up, I imagine I'll have to lift and clean it pretty often, even with a zinc coating. Bob, the 9.9 fits ok into the well? i wouldn't mind some extra HP but I'm still leaning towards the 6 for manageability. I like the idea of rigging a harness from the boom to help raise and lower it. Save the back some stress.
Damian Volpe
Lookfar 1976 CD25
Southold, NY
Paul Clayton

Post by Paul Clayton »

Yes, having it in the water all the time does mean that you get a buildup of algae and barnacles. That's one reason to go with a 6 instead of a 9.9. A whole lot easier to lift it in and out of the well. It's a chore even with a harness. But if you don't mind putting on a mask and getting in the water, you can knock a lot of it off without having to lift out the motor. I've found that my 6 is plenty of power most of the time, but I've run into a couple of situations where it was marginal, when strong headwinds and current were running through a channel. An 8 is another option, some of them are built on the same block as a 6, so they are quite a bit lighter than a 9.9.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Sorry, but no, the 9.9 Yamaha does NOT go easily into the hole. It is really too big for the 25 lazarette, and you have to do a lot of work to carve out the back, refit the front access board, and revise/move the mounting bracket, plus lift the top cover. I would not think you would want to go there as the full blown 9.9 weighs a bit over 100 pounds with the starter and all. It really is a good motor, but is also expensive. The only reason I am using it is it came with the boat and trailer for a good price, and when I am finished the installation will be good. Your chosen 6 hp is like 2/3 the weight, and much easier to get in and out with a boom/halyard. Mine would take several people. Like I commented, your choice of 6 hp would be my choice if buying new, but I would want the longer shaft.
Btw, the previous owner had cut a hole in the starboard locker for the gas line, and put the GAS tank down in the stbd locker hole with the batteries (placed fore and aft). Absolute no-no for all the obvious reasons. Ive never seen anything like it. I think they lived a charmed life.
I still have a lot to do and wish I were sailing instead.

BobC
Moon Shine
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
mgiampaoli

Post by mgiampaoli »

I am looking to replace the Johnson 9.9hp two-stroke (too much smoke & noise) with a four-stroke for my CD 25. The comments seem to favor the 6hp to hiatus Sailpro, but my dealer friend said it didn't have enough guts. Has me trying to fit an 8 hp into the lazarette. Any thoughts? This has been my first season with the 1978 CD.
Jdpmus

Post by Jdpmus »

I had my marine service guy remove the tiller handle on my Johnson 6 and got it to fit in the lazarette with the cover closed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jdpmus

Post by Jdpmus »

A second look
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.