Found a couple! All set. WTB: Typhoon genoa cars with stand

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
RLW

Found a couple! All set. WTB: Typhoon genoa cars with stand

Post by RLW »

I found a couple of blocks on cars of the proper size. All set now.
image.jpg
image.jpg (889.26 KiB) Viewed 541 times
I recently acquired Ty number 995, a fixer upper weekender. She came with a nice genny, but no blocks for the rail. The track is 3/4" X 1/8". Does anyone have spares that I could purchase? Thx!
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
katiekb

Re: Found a couple! All set. WTB: Typhoon genoa cars with st

Post by katiekb »

I know this boat! Wasn't it moored near Standish? I remember liking the color.

kathryn
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

If you still have the cars you might consider going this route .http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... lding.html
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
RLW

Post by RLW »

Kathryn...
YES! Ty #995 was moored across the Sakonnet from us, and winter stored at Standish. Formerly named Discovery Motion (attorney owned), she is bare bones and in need of much TLC. I like the green too, and am in the process of prepping the top sides for new paint. I didn't want to put her on the mooring looking so needy, so that and the toe rail are this season's chore. Our IP gets all of my attention on weekends, so I'm just chipping away at CARAL's needs during the week.

Chris...
Nice solution, and nice blog! I did need the cars too, and I was happy to find NOS stand up blocks at 1/4 the best price I could find new! As you point out in your genny block rebuild, if you go out and buy all the little parts new, you can quickly get upside down on these projects. I'm still trying to figure out how to reuse an old paint job! :D To find parts I use the saved search feature with notifications at eBay and a heap of patience, something I'm not particularly known for. :oops:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 471 times
Rich W.
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Glad you found what you needed. Saving that paint looks tough. Maybe you will get lucky. You may want to look at what William did on Baggy Wrinkles. His one part urethane might be an easy solution for you.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
RLW

Post by RLW »

My comment about used paint was reference to an old junkyard joke. I already have Primecote, Brightside in green, and a good chunk of the filling, fairing and sanding under my belt. Can't wait to see her shine again!
Rich W.
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Don't redo the hull unless you really want to jump into the endless project at this time however! Someone on this site said it so well that one of the first things folks want to do is get that hull paint off and redone, HA!

If that little Ty will be moored the one part mono-urethane from Epifanes would not be a solution for you however. For trailered Tys it is fine.

Blocks, I just got mine from Schaeffer, keeping them more "period" looking. They were pricey. I'm not as adept at rebuilding blocks as Chris :)

That photo looks like a Typhoon mooring area with 2 other Tys in the background. Wow.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
RLW

Post by RLW »

Skeep...
The photo you refer to is the Tiverton Yacht Basin. Cape Dory Yachts was in Taunton, MA, and Standish Boatyard, where these moorings are located, was one of the busiest Cape Dory dealers. The folks who sold mine bought one of those in the background. They wanted running lights, roller furling, and overall better condition. They were not going to do the upgrades themselves, and paying the going labor rate for restoration did not compare economically to trading up. BTW...lots of boats in this area do very well with Interlux Brightside one part topside paint.
Rich W.
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

It's a gorgeous environment indeed. Can't wait to see what you do with your hull and how it turns out. Keep those photos coming!
Skeep
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
RLW

Post by RLW »

The genoa blocks I bought on eBay match the original blocks perfectly. In the photos the mainsheet turning blocks were on the boat; the genny cars are what I bought. A period perfect solution...cheap!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 390 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 390 times
Rich W.
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

RLW looks like a solution to me!
Skeep