Anchor bracket for a Danforth anchor stored on stern rail

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Anchor bracket for a Danforth anchor stored on stern rail

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am going to try to set up an anchor system for deployment from the cockpit that is similar to the way David Patterson showed in a diagram he posted last year for his Cape Dory 25D.

Basically, the anchor will be mounted somewhere on the stern rail or aft side rails so that I can quickly deploy it from the cockpit.

I am wondering which would be the better choice for an anchor bracket for a 16 or 25 lbs. Danforth with appropriate chain and rode. The chain will be in a bucket below the anchor and the rode will run forward to the bow and back so that there will be a little over 60' that can be quickly deployed.

This type:

http://www.boatersplus.com/windline-pm2 ... oCDSnw_wcB

or this type:

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... &id=735854

or is there a 3rd better type that I have not considered :?:

Thanks in advance for recommendations, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Russell

Re: Anchor bracket for a Danforth anchor stored on stern rai

Post by Russell »

The Windline one is far nicer (and made in the US). I have never used the Schaefer one, but I have used the same exact style one and it is not nearly as nice (oh and Schaefer manufactures in China, I know that means more to you then actual quality).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Roberto,
What will this anchor be used for? A 25 pound Danforth seems like a storm anchor for 25D.
We are just now planning a working anchor setup for our 27. At present all we have is a 16 pound Lewmar that we use for our lunch hook.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Anchor bracket for a Danforth anchor stored on stern rai

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Russell wrote:(oh and Schaefer manufactures in China, I know that means more to you then actual quality).
Come on Russell, I know that you know that that is not true. I am interested in quality above all else. It's just that there are many, many acknowledged problems with Chinese-made products. There may well be quality goods coming out of China. I just do not have the skill, education, training, etc. to know how to determine what is a quality product coming out of China and what is junk. At least when it says "Made in USA" I have a much higher level of confidence. The AK47 was designed and mfg. in USSR/Russia. It is ubiquitous on today's battlefield because it is a fine weapon. China mfg. an excellent "knock off". It also is a fine weapon. I would have no hesitancy using one. As for sailboat products made in China I do not have the skill set necessary to determine what is, and what is not, quality. I know you have the skill set; I don't.

Once I decide on a model/style (probably the Windline model based on Russell's recommendation) I will then start looking at companies that mfg. what I want and determine where their product material is sourced, where it is mfg., etc. It is good to know that Schaefer mfg. in China. I was not aware of that Russell. Thanks.

Tim, I currently have a 14 lb. Danforth as a primary and a 9 lb. as sort of a "lunch hook or temporary anchor". I want to increase my primary to either a 16 lb. or 25 lb. and will then use the 14 lb. as a back up. As some anonymous person once said "there is no such thing as too heavy an anchor". If I thought I could retrieve and store a 70 lb. Danforth that would be my primary. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Russell

Post by Russell »

Glad to hear you are softening on your blanket anti China stance. Truth is the US makes garbage too sometimes (look at US cars in the 70s through 90s), or on the sailing front, try finding a reputable rigger who thinks using US made wire is a good idea rather then the far superior Korean wire.

If you admit you do not have the knowledge to know whats good and what isnt, then you certainly should stop with the blanket belief that everything from China is bad (its getting old and its entirely incorrect). Ask, like you did here, which is good, read reviews, ask around, and pick what has a good reputation rather then where it was made and you will be a happier customer.
Russell
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Roberto,
I am interested in quality above all else. It's just that there are many, many acknowledged problems with Chinese-made products. There may well be quality goods coming out of China. I just do not have the skill, education, training, etc. to know how to determine what is a quality product coming out of China and what is junk.

As I read your reply, this thought jumped out at me.

I think that the vast majority of sailing JUNKS are made in China. :D

BTW, I don't think that I would ever purchase *galvanized* chain that was made in China. Just a personal choice.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Russell

Post by Russell »

Oswego John wrote:Roberto,
I am interested in quality above all else. It's just that there are many, many acknowledged problems with Chinese-made products. There may well be quality goods coming out of China. I just do not have the skill, education, training, etc. to know how to determine what is a quality product coming out of China and what is junk.

As I read your reply, this thought jumped out at me.

I think that the vast majority of sailing JUNKS are made in China. :D

BTW, I don't think that I would ever purchase *galvanized* chain that was made in China. Just a personal choice.

O J

Chain is one of those things you are certainly (for now) better off steering clear of China made. US made ACCO chain is still the best there is. Though I wouldnt be surprised to find in the future that China starts manufacturing high quality chain (and may even be doing so right now and word isnt out yet).
Russell
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Like Harbor Freight you have to pick and chose the items you buy from China.

10 Things I Wouldn’t Buy from Harbor Freight:
1) Parachutes
2) Fire Extinguishers
3) Pacemakers
4) Vaccines
5) Birth control devices
6) Elevators
7) Bullet proof vests
8) Trigger locks
9) Pitons
10) Scuba Gear
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Russell wrote:Glad to hear you are softening on your blanket anti China stance. ..................
If you admit you do not have the knowledge to know whats good and what isnt, then you certainly should stop with the blanket belief that everything from China is bad (its getting old and its entirely incorrect).
Russell:

I am NOT softening my position on Chinese-made products. While they may make some quality products, it is well-documented that a lot of what they make is garbage. Because I lack the skills and knowledge to sift through the garbage to find something that is not garbage I stay away from all of it - at least as best as I can.

As for your statement that "its getting old" I would observe, respectfully, that I did not mention the issue of "China-made" products in my initial post. You first brought it up in your post.

OJ, I agree. The last thing I would buy out of China is anchor chain.

Joe, that's a good list. Thanks for the heads ups about not buying SCUBA gear at Harbor Freight. :D :wink: I guess I'll stick with my local dive shop that I have used for the past 45+ years.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Steering this thread a bit back to the West, I believe the Windline holder is a far better design and all of their stuff is very well made. The Windline bracket is very compact and holds the anchor much more firmly than the other design. Raven has had one mounted on her stern for quite a few years now and it has never moved while still being very easy to access. The only thing I did was to tie the shank to the lower rail with a slippery square knot to keep it from banging a bit. I do not have a rode attached to this anchor but it is easily accessible in the cockpit locker. I never have any intention of using this as a primary anchor. I have it there as an emergency, stern or kedging anchor only.

I always go forward to drop my primary, which is a 35lb CQR with 90ft of chain. I can't imagine sailing around with the rode hanging outside of the lifelines all of the time. Sooner or later that chain is going to drop over the rail and make a mess of things. Murphy's law and physics, dictate that this will happen when you are beating into some nasty chop and it is not going to be easy or fun to deal with. How do you even deploy the thing from the stern? I always wait until the boat stops or starts to drift back and then lower the anchor to the bottom and pay out the chain. If you try this from the stern, the anchor is going to be facing the wrong way. You are probably going to have a pile of chain and the bow could swing over the whole mess and really foul things up.

Having a stern anchor available is a fine idea, but unless you plan to anchor stern to the wind I would keep my primary anchor at the bow, Steve.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Windline, yea
Schaeffer, nay
Running chain (or rode) outside the lifelines to the stern for convenience, nay
:D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steve L., Jim W., and all:

Looks like I will be investing in the Windline (PM-2) set up.

I got the idea about routing the rode around the outside of the hull of S/V Bali Ha'i from David Patterson's thread from 2013:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... id#p171415

If you scroll down to page 5, on 01 October 2013 at 1840 hours, David provides a diagram/sketch of his set up. There are several follow-up comments, etc., concerning this arrangement.

To me, "the [forever] Tadpole Sailor" who has not a clue (clew :?: ) (double entendre OJ :?: ) of anchoring protocols, procedures, skills, etc., this looked like an "elegant" solution for someone who is single handing his/her Cape Dory 25D and appears to be a simple and quick way to deploy 75+ feet of anchor, chain and rode.

I have NOT attempted this yet on S/V Bali Ha'i. I would welcome the input, comments, suggestions, etc., of anyone/everyone on this board.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Sea Hunt Video

I have the horizontal mount that I would part with. It might be missing a ubolt, i'll look.

Here's a pic of it in use. I switched to a vertical bracket.

Bill Member #250.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bill:

Thanks, but I think I too am looking to buy the "vertical" Windline bracket.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I ordered the Windline PM-2 Stanchion Mount Anchor Bracket.

I know some have expressed concerns about having my primary Danforth anchor on a bracket at the stern with the chain in a bucket and the line running around the toe rail. However, I am going to try it out over the next few weeks and see how it works. Initially, I will try it solely under power. A member of this board in whom I have a great deal of trust has his set up this way on his CD 25D. Admittedly, he has YEARS more experience and skills than I but with practice comes ................. :?: :?: :roll: :roll:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097