Chinese made solar panels

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Chinese made solar panels

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Having apologized to Megunticook and all for diverting his post on solar panels for his Cape Dory needs, I thought it would be interesting for anyone so inclined to read some recent articles about Chinese made solar panels.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/busin ... .html?_r=0

http://economyincrisis.org/content/defe ... gy-efforts

There are many, many other similar articles. Type "defective Chinese solar panels" into Mr. Google.

The NY Times article is two (2) years old; the Economy in Crisis article is one (1) year old.

The NY Times article is particularly troubling, especially some of the admissions made by company executives and investigators.

Sadly, I have been unsuccessful in efforts to find an American solar panel mfg. that makes a solar panel in the US that is intended for sailboats (12v systems). I do not necessarily object to sourcing raw materials, minerals, etc., from overseas. I just want an American company that checks the raw materials, etc., to make sure they are safe and of quality and then have that same company build the solar panel. Perhaps "a bridge too far". :(

I will continue to search because I would like to install a small solar panel (I believe similar to what Megunticook is thinking of doing) but I am admittedly scared of buying "Made in China", especially when it comes to something with the potential fire hazard of batteries.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Russell

Re: Chinese made solar panels

Post by Russell »

Again, its about finding a reputable brand rather then lumping it all into one country.

That said, Kyrocera (the panels I use on my own boats), the cells are made in Japan and the panels are built in Mexico. I do know Kyrocera also manufactures in china as well and several other countries, but the US market panels are Japan/Mexico. So maybe that wont offend your anti China sentiments (though I wouldnt hesitate a single second with a good Chinese solar panel myself, I have installed solar on a dozen boats this year, all with fantastic Chinese panels).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
RC James

Post by RC James »

Beep......
Beep......
Beep......
Depthmeter Alarm Sounding....
Shoal Waters Ahead...... Depthmeter Alarm Sounding.... Dangerous/Treacherous Waters Ahead.
Captain recommends immediate course change.
Let's get this thread back on course and head for deeper water.

Or, have the WebMistress institute a new page for Non-Sailboat thoughts.

While you/I/we may agree to disagree on sources of products, caveat emptor.
Most of us are wise enough to research the products we purchase, I believe this post may be getting off topic.

As for me, I'll take a reef and heave-to, and hope others will also, until the storm blows over.

On a lighter note, has Anyone seen Spring?
RJ Sere
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

RC James wrote:Let's get this thread back on course and head for deeper water.

Or, have the WebMistress institute a new page for Non-Sailboat thoughts.

While you/I/we may agree to disagree on sources of products, caveat emptor.
Most of us are wise enough to research the products we purchase, I believe this post may be getting off topic.
RC:

I am confused. I did not know this thread was "off course". I started this new thread because I have been (and still am) interested in buying a small solar panel for my Cape Dory 25D. Megunticook started a different (and earlier thread) asking in general about solar panels for his Cape Dory Ty Senior and specifically about a Ganz solar panel. I inadvertently and temporarily diverted Megunticook's solar panel thread. I apologized to Megunticook and started this new thread because:

I know very little about solar panels as many on this board can attest. I am hoping someone may be able to point me in the direction of non-Chinese made solar panels for my Cape Dory 25D. Russell's post about Kyocera solar panels is helpful. Thanks Russell.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Russell

Post by Russell »

I give Robert credit for starting a new thread (thus this thread is not offtopic). But the whole China topic is starting to be beating a dead horse in general, Robert does not seem to want to accept that good things can come from China, I will make my last ditch effort to help him, but then bow out. A couple examples, but you could probably make a list like this a mile long.

Outbound Yachts, offshore sailing boats, probably the best currently built fibreglass boats (ok, thats opinion, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will say they are poorly built): http://www.outboundyachts.com (and think about some of the boats with the worst reputations as far as poorly built, and guess where they come from...).

Nordhavn, offshore yacht trawlers, not my cup of tea, but overall well built (I have found small issues, like cheap interior joinery fasteners).

Apple products, plenty of anti Apple people out there, but you wont find someone knowledgable who will say they are poorly made.

Makita power tools, for mainstream powertools, best out there (not including Festool and Fein as they are not mainstream).

Craftsman and Snapon both make a large chunk of their hand tools in China.

Now, does cheap garbage come from China too? absolutely. As a consumer today China is unavoidable and in many cases you might be missing out on the best quality product available by avoiding China. As pointed out to you several times now, pay attention to reputable brands, do your research and buy with confidence, blanket dismal of China will likely end up with you missing out on some of the best products on the market.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Okay, let us all stop and take a breath. I believe what we are looking for is a dependable solar charging system from a reputable manufacturer, one that we can trust our beloved CD's to. We do not want to have to worry when we leave our boat with a charger in control. I firmly believe in a "Buy American" mentality, however, I love my iPhone and I drive a Honda, not because of where they were built, but because of their proven reliability. I would buy an iSolar iPanel in a minute. We all know of the wonderful little Honda portable generators. What we want is quality. I remember when Abercrombie & Fitch was the ultimate outfitter, when Land's End was a chandler of quality sailing gear, not clothing, when Stanley tools were the best. Things change. Remember the high quality tools from WEST Germany? I believe that quality, proven dependability, and consistency are what we are looking for.
Sorry, that is probably more than two cents, but it is my stance.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Russell wrote:I give Robert credit for starting a new thread (thus this thread is not offtopic). But the whole China topic is starting to be beating a dead horse in general, Robert does not seem to want to accept that good things can come from China, I will make my last ditch effort to help him, but then bow out. A couple examples, but you could probably make a list like this a mile long.

Outbound Yachts, offshore sailing boats, probably the best currently built fibreglass boats (ok, thats opinion, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will say they are poorly built): http://www.outboundyachts.com (and think about some of the boats with the worst reputations as far as poorly built, and guess where they come from...).

Nordhavn, offshore yacht trawlers, not my cup of tea, but overall well built (I have found small issues, like cheap interior joinery fasteners).

Apple products, plenty of anti Apple people out there, but you wont find someone knowledgable who will say they are poorly made.

Makita power tools, for mainstream powertools, best out there (not including Festool and Fein as they are not mainstream).

Craftsman and Snapon both make a large chunk of their hand tools in China.

Now, does cheap garbage come from China too? absolutely. As a consumer today China is unavoidable and in many cases you might be missing out on the best quality product available by avoiding China. As pointed out to you several times now, pay attention to reputable brands, do your research and buy with confidence, blanket dismal of China will likely end up with you missing out on some of the best products on the market.

Hot & sour soup

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Which is east and west of China.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

M. R. Bober wrote: Hot & sour soup
Thank you, Mitch!

BTW, I believe that Germany now relies on solar panels to generate a large percentage of its domestic electricity. I wonder if the same manufacturers, wherever they might be located, sell their products on this side of The Pond, and if they are suitable for small-boat use.

-Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Joe Myerson wrote:
M. R. Bober wrote: Hot & sour soup
Thank you, Mitch!

BTW, I believe that Germany now relies on solar panels to generate a large percentage of its domestic electricity. I wonder if the same manufacturers, wherever they might be located, sell their products on this side of The Pond, and if they are suitable for small-boat use.

-Joe
http://theenergycollective.com/robertwi ... ergy-solar
According to this site Germany gets 4.5% of their electricity from solar and a whopping 46% from coal. It would be nice if everyone were able to generate electricity without without using fossil fuels. Some day......
Last edited by Jim Walsh on Mar 30th, '15, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

M. R. Bober wrote:Hot & sour soup

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Which is east and west of China.) VA
Mitch:

And that's the hell of it. I love Chinese food and frequent a local tiny restaurant at least 2x a months. Chinese food is excellent. Other Chinese products not so much :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Jim Walsh wrote: According to this site Germany gets 4.5% of their electricity from solar and a whopping 46% from coal. It would be nice if everyone were able to generate electricity without without using fossil fuels. Some day......
Thanks, Jim. That's why I hedged and didn't quote that widely repeated number. Even 4.5% is significant. My question really boiled down to this: If the super-efficient Germans are using lots of solar panels, perhaps we could find out where they were made.

Right now, I doubt that there will ever be any sunlight in New England again (wait til tomorrow).

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
RC James

Post by RC James »

Roberto and the Board- Please accept my apology for my 28Mar posting. I placed it in the incorrect thread. I could put it down to a GeorgeDickel induced moment, but will not. I hope your hunt for a non-Chinese produced product is successful.

Egg on my face..... or is that Egg Fu Yung?
RC
Squid

Post by Squid »

As a side note (another).... For anyone who doesn't like Chinese manufactured circuits.. Great! But you had better drop your cell phone, iPad, Mac or PC.... while you are at it ... Just some food for thought. I won't be posting any more because I will now trash my Mac...
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

I'd also add that a big reason that most solar panels are made in China is because the Chinese government sees the economic opportunity there and has made big investments in supporting solar technology and r&d. The U.S. should be a leader in solar technology, and we should be dominating that market and reaping huge economic rewards from it--especially as alternative energies like solar or wind increasingly displace fossil fuels around the world, as they inevitably will. Instead, the U.S. government is doing relatively little to support and encourage the solar industry. In fact we have a lot of powerful interests in America who are doing everything they can to keep solar on the sidelines, like many of our energy companies. That's short-sighted and foolish, because 25 years from now whoever is the leader in solar technology will be exporting it around the world and making a killing. Right now it looks like that will be China.

Rant over. I just really wish the U.S.A. would play the long game here and position our country to be the world leaders in technology like solar. There are a lot of people here who are trying, but when you have people like my state's esteemed governor in power who actively work to retard the alternative energy industry while subsidizing the established fossil fuel energy companies, then I'm afraid we'll reap what we sow.