removing knot meter

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John G.

removing knot meter

Post by John G. »

I am going to be removing the Signet knot meter on my 1982 25D and before I shovel a path, untie the cover, get on board needing some other tool and climb back down I'm asking for any info that would help. I think there are 3 small screws on the backside but I'm not even sure these will free it all together. I'll be sending it to Signet to see if it can be repaired as a new one with meter, cable, paddle wheel, plug and thru hull is over $500. So if anyone knows anything that would help with this matter I would greatly appreciate the help. By the way it is also 18 degrees out so I do not want to be out there too long, well maybe it'll warm up soon.

Thanks
John
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: removing knot meter

Post by tjr818 »

The wires are probably held on with small hex nuts, so you will need a wrench of some sort,too.
Good luck
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Bob Lascelles

Re: removing knot meter

Post by Bob Lascelles »

I removed a SR Mariner knot meter and depth sounder pair from my boat last summer. Removing the old instruments, there were just screws from inside the cabin. I found the caulking the instruments were bedded in to be pretty tough. It was an adhesive caulk. Just in case, I would have something along with you to cut through the caulking and may be something to gently pry the instrument loose. I didn't want to get involved with filling the 4.0" diameter holes in the bulkhead, so that's why I replaced the SR's with Moor Electronic instruments (very old tech, but they seem to work OK). You might check Moor Electronics' website out. They are in NY and make instruments that I believe were originally sold under the EMS. I found mine at Hamilton Marine at pretty good prices.

Fair winds
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME