Heat Exchanger

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Heat Exchanger

Post by Zeida »

SAILORS: I am desperately looking to buy a 3" Heat Exchanger for my Universal Diesel #5424 Model 30. My current one was sold to me used, by M. Bober some years back after he repowered. I had it refurbished then and it has served me very well. But it is starting to show signs of old age. If anyone knows of one of these seldom seen items or where to get it, please let me know ASAP ! Thanks.

zeida cecilia
s/v Bandolera II
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Jim Walsh

Re: Heat Exchanger

Post by Jim Walsh »

Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Jim… that is EXACTLY what I need. That is a steep price, but I guess I need it. Thanks a million for taking the time to look this up for me. Earlier this morning I had visited his website but did not see this one, or did not recognize it for what it is. You can see mine in the picture below. The color photo in Mr. Cool's site showing an almost similar set-up to mine makes me feel a bit better - I guess I will be talking to Mr. Cool Tuesday to buy the H.E. and have it shipped to me asap. What a relief knowing that it is available and ready. So I can remove mine and install the new one the same day! Hallellujah!!!!!! Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Zeida, we are all showing signs of old age. Well I am anyway.

How bad could it be that you can't take it out and clean it up?

If you do need to replace it, you don't necessarily need an exact replacement. You could mount a new one anywhere you want so it doesn't need to be exactly the same.

On Raven I got tired of unclamping the thing ever time I wanted to check the zinc so I moved it off of the transmission and to a better place. I made up a very simple saddle for it and clamped it down. It is now much easier to service than when it was in it's original location.

I am sure the engine manufacturer does their best to make up a nice neat package with the heat exchanger bolted to the transmission but. While this might allow them to ship the whole thing as a unit, it would rarely be the best location for the heat exchanger.

My point is that you could replace your current heat exchanger with any unit that will work and find a better spot for it while you are at it, Steve.
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Just want to reiterate that without this incredible Board, I would never be able to have my boat. Thank you again, Cape Dory sailors!

Zeida
Grateful Skipper of s/v Bandolera II

P.S. Steve… it's tough getting old but there we go, no chance of going back! As you can see by the pix of my H.E., yes, mine is on a small bracket that my brother made for me, attached to the end of the engine, almost above the tranny. But I am able to still get in through the cockpit locker and sit right in front of it, to change the zinc as needed, inspect all clamps, hoses, etc. Rerouting four hoses -and having to buy new longer ones, in order to move the location, is much more difficult for me to do. I am planing to remove the current one tomorrow and take it to a radiator shop to see if it can be refurbished. If it can, I'll be saving some $$. If not, I will have to buy the new one. In any case, it's good to know that the good replacement can be gotten with no problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Zelda, you're welcome. :D
Steve has a valid point. A heat exchanger is one item which can be relocated to a more convenient location with no compromise to operation or efficiency.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dearest Zeida:

Could you please just once post a photo of your engine compartment that is NOT spotlessly clean :?:

Perhaps just a few drops of oil temporarily dropped on a hose, or a rag haphazardly left on a valve, or even an old hose that looks frail, or worn and in need of replacement, or, perish the thought, a hose clamp that has even a little rust on it. Anything you might post would at least be of some small measure of hope and sustenance to those of us who labor to have an engine compartment that looks 1/10 as clean and squared away as yours. My labors, sadly but predictably so, are mostly unsatisfactory. :cry:

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Dearest Zeida:

Could you please just once post a photo of your engine compartment that is NOT spotlessly clean....
Robert, if you look real close at that hose on the left you can clearly see that it needs a fresh application of Armor-All. :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

Beautiful photo of a beautiful boat.
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Dearest Zeida:

Could you please just once post a photo of your engine compartment that is NOT spotlessly clean :?:
I particularly am impressed with the color coordinated red caps on the hose clamps. Very festive. :D

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Zeida continues to keep the bar high for us 33 owners! This is why I will not rest till I get her UNbiased owner comments on the CD33 for my UNbiased review.

And yes, that clean engine room makes me feel more neglectful of Femme than ever. If I get my way, I will be spending two months aboard this summer and maybe creep up a few notches closer to Zeida and Bandolera II's level.

This "Game of Boats" saga is not over!
Paul
CDSOA Member
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Tim, Armor-All? how didn't I think of that? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Zeida
CDSOA Member
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Zeida wrote:Tim, Armor-All? how didn't I think of that? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Maybe you were afraid you might spill it on the wall to wall carpeting? :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

:D :D
Zeida
CDSOA Member
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Zeida wrote:SAILORS: I am desperately looking to buy a 3" Heat Exchanger for my Universal Diesel #5424 Model 30. My current one was sold to me used, by M. Bober some years back after he repowered. I had it refurbished then and it has served me very well. But it is starting to show signs of old age. If anyone knows of one of these seldom seen items or where to get it, please let me know ASAP ! Thanks.

zeida cecilia
s/v Bandolera II
I have been told by more than one diesel mechanic that the #5424/M30 should never have been sold with the 2" heat exchanger. They agree that the 2" is marginal for operation in cooler northern water, but inadequate for warmer waters and unacceptable hotter climates and running under load for prolonged periods. They also seem to agree that Universal refused to acknowledge the problem although later installations arrived with the 3" heat exchanger.

FYI: I bought your 3" heat exchanger--used--from Ed Healy, but never installed it due to space limitation in the engine room. Good to know that it has served you so well and so long.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where I would like to exchange some heat with you southern Florida sailors.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member