I'm Baaaack!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

sfreihofer

I'm Baaaack!

Post by sfreihofer »

I once was a regular here. I was rebuilding a Cape Dory 25, and relied on the expertise and assistance of this board many times. I posted my progress on www.ReefRoof.com. Then, a jealous and vindictive wife decided to create havoc in my life by not just filing for divorce, but by issuing a Restraining Order as well, and threw me out of the home where the boat was.

That was then. In the interim, I maintained my membership, but did not participate online since I had very limited access to my home, the boat, or to the internet. I had been charged as an abusive husband, but the reality was that my (now ex-)wife was trying to use the legal system to abuse me. It didn't work, but to prove her intent involved 3 psychological evaluations and many legal bills. Short story is: I have custody of my son, I have the house, I have the boat, but now I don't have money.

The result: I'm back. I missed these discussions, the fellowship, the friendships, and the feedback. Next on my agenda is to (finally) launch S/V Pearl, but that will have to wait until lingering financial issues are resolved regarding alimony and child support.

What a relief! Good to be back among friends!

Stan Freihofer
S/V Pearl
www.ReefRoof.com
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: I'm Baaaack!

Post by Neil Gordon »

Stan,

As many know, LIQUIDITY, and the friends on this board, have been with me through similar circumstances.

Great to have you back on board!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Welcome back. As you have probably seen, your name and your boat have been mentioned in your absence. Take comfort in the fact that Pearl will always love you. It's a great restoration and you'll have great times sailing soon. Hang in there.

Maybe you can find someone who wants to learn how to sail and will share expenses for a season in exchange for knowledge.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Thank you Neil, and thank you Jerry! It's great to be back among friends who are always willing to help. You all are great! I am sooo glad to be back among supporters and done with the detractor...
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Carl Thunberg

You have friends here.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Hi Stan,
There are many of us here who have been through what you have, and we all come out the other side. I lost my CD30 in a divorce. Downsizing to a Rhodes 18 wasn't necessarily by choice, but I do love sailing small boats. There are up-sides to everything, and life only moves in one direction, and that direction is always forward. Welcome back!
Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Post by Ken Cave »

Guess I am one of the very lucky ones!! My wife, of 50 plus years-and first and only one,
just loves to sail! And she has put up with my crankiness with a smile! (most of the time)

Sorry guys, she is not available-and hopefully we will be sailing for the next 10 years
if our health (and legs) hold out!

Ken and Betsy Cave
CD 28 #227
LaConner, WA
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Stan, I'm delighted to hear from you again. Count me in for whatever you need to help keep s/v Pearl in good health. I constantly think of her..and you, having met both of you in better circumstances. Hopefully that terrible chapter of your life is now resolved and I am sure you will find peace of mind and new and loving friends soon, especially the love of your little Pearl who has been missing you forever.

Zeida
Zeida
CDSOA Member
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Stan,

glad to hear you emerged on the other side to keep up with the boat project. It's a good way to keep your head in a better place.

Jeff
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Post by Steve Bryant »

Hi Stan,

You know why divorces are so expensive?

Because they're worth it!

Good Luck,
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
guy leslie

Post by guy leslie »

Stan,
Welcome back! It brought to mind your former posts of the incredible work you've done on Pearl. I was thrilled to re-visit your site and marvel at your skills. Your return also opened thoughts of this amazing board's special people- way beyond our wonderful boats! Congratulations,
Guy
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Stan,
Welcome back. Enjoy your life and enjoy your boat. You're always welcome here.
Best,
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627