CD 25D Sink Drain in Head

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

TerryO

CD 25D Sink Drain in Head

Post by TerryO »

Has anyone modified their boat so the sink in the head does not drain into the bilge? I don't really like filling the bilge with soapy grey water.

Thanks!
1982 CD 25D - 'Alyssa Dawn'
Harrison Lake, British Columbia, Canada
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: CD 25D Sink Drain in Head

Post by Neil Gordon »

I suspect the answer is "few." Most of us don't use our head sinks at all, for that reason. The galley sink isn't that far away.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

I installed a Spartan seacock for my sink in the head.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven's head sink goes to a Spartan seacock right in the bottom of the cabinet. This was done at the factory and I although I don't use the head sink all that much, I certainly wouldn't want it draining into the bilge. Even the shower area was set up to drain into a pan under the cabin sole, with the option to let it drain into the bilge by removing a drain plug. I took the shower out of the head and mounted one in the cockpit locker so we can shower in the cockpit and not worry about what to do with the drain water.

If my boat's sink drained into the bilge, I would be drilling another hole in the bottom, Steve.
RonSanga

Post by RonSanga »

Wind Horse has a sea cock under the sink and we do use it often but we have pressure water.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

This is just to suggest another option. I have a shower and a sink in the head. They both drain into a sump, separate but within the bilge, which has its own pump which is lead to a through-hull located above the waterline. Sometimes knowing how similar boats are set up is helpful.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
TerryO

Post by TerryO »

Thanks for the input. Such a great forum. I think the simplest way to go is to put in another seacock. I thought about the seperate sump with bilge pump but it is another maintenance item and would need power run and an additional through hull anyway. I looked up the Spartan 3/4" seacock. Almost $300, yikes. It shows the quality that went into our boats at the factory.
1982 CD 25D - 'Alyssa Dawn'
Harrison Lake, British Columbia, Canada
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I know very, very little about this stuff. I have always wondered why the forward sink drained into the bilge.

Would it be possible, or practical, to run a sink drain hose to the marine head waste hose :?: I have never used the forward sink because I do not want soap scum in the bilge. In theory I would not object to soap scum being in the holding tank.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Would it be possible, or practical, to run a sink drain hose to the marine head waste hose :?:
Possible, yes. Practical? You'd need a trap of some sort so that the gases from the holding tank don't vent back into the boat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Running the drain to the holding tank would fill up an already small holding tank pretty quickly.

Sorry to say that a 3/4" seacock will not be big enough for the sink drain. Raven has a 1&1/2" seacock to match the sink drain hose. I am very grateful it is already there because good seacocks don't come cheap. This still seems like the only practical solution for the sink drain, Steve.
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Laume wrote:This still seems like the only practical solution for the sink drain, Steve.
How about a small temporary holding tank just for what runs out of the sink drain? A gallon or two of capacity seems like it would go a long way ... I'm thinking something portable... pick up and pour over the side (or down the galley sink).
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

Here's an idea that didn't work. We ran a hose under the settee, and Tee'd it into the galley sink drain. The problem was that it was below the waterline, so didn't drain very well, and was always full of water. This water generated a nasty smell that eventually permeated the hose.

We finally bit the bullet and installed a through hull under the head sink - much better solution.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

All good points - but another thought - I only use the head sink to wash my hands - same for guests. Soap is made from animal fat or vegetable fat - hence scum. Wash with a little detergent or with a very small amount of liquid soap (different content) AND always add a little dish detergent to the bilge when it is pumped out and it keeps any oils including soap scum in suspension or emulsified until the bile is pumped out. Works like a charm.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
RC James

Post by RC James »

Very rarely used, but you're right..... wet sump is no fun.

I took the KISS route................... an empty 1-gallon bottle (used Winter Antifreeze Jug), placed in the sump, the fwd sink drain hose run into the jug mouth and to the bottom of jug. A little shot of Clorox into each bottle keeps any scummy smells at bay.

Same idea for the ice-box drain. Both work well, and other than having to reach waaaaay down into the sump, it's a fairly simple solution to a not too complex problem. Everything stays upright, as it's a narrow space-- no spillage.

RC