Head Y-valve Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

grluecke

Head Y-valve Question

Post by grluecke »

So, we have only used the head sparingly--have not had nearly enough opportunities for cruising and overnights--but in one small Maine cove, my kids yelled: "Stop! Stop! That is going overboard!"

Argh, look at this JABSCO Y-valve that we have:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/jabsco--d ... Aue68P8HAQ

And look at how it works (I have not found the definitive documentation "This position goes that way...")

In the photos, THIS IS THE WAY IT WORKS EXPERIMENTALLY. I think it is backwards, but someone let me know.

What do you think? Does anyone have one of these valves? I'm wondering how I will convince the Coast Guard that the position I have locked my valve into is correct...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg and Jennifer
Oceans' Poem CD30K #245
Cundy's Harbor, ME

We hail out of Portland these days!
Rollergirl

Re: Head Y-valve Question

Post by Rollergirl »

The last illustration in the instructions (http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/4 ... 761-GB.pdf) show arrows that appear to indicate the flow direction.
Is the tank full, and possibly overflowing when you pump the head?
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It seems like you are valve short of a working system. If you position the valve for direct discharge, what keeps it from feeding back into the holding tank? Like wise, if the tank is full, it will just overflow out of the through hull. The check valve in the overboard discharge pump might keep the effluent from going into the holding tank but it will definitely not keep the tank from overflowing into the harbor. Unless there is another valve that is not in view this system is kind of a mess, in every sense of the word, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

A closed sea cock is all that's needed to prevent overboard discharge. Lock the handle in the closed position and the Coast Guard should be happy with it.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698