Typhoon outboard mount

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mkolb

Typhoon outboard mount

Post by mkolb »

I am launching a typhoon and will be sailing it on and off the mooring since the location allows for that. Yet I have resigned myself to the fact that an outboard may be necessary for some chores like taking the boat in and out of water, etc. I hate the idea of an outboard and bracket cluttering up the beautiful lines of this boat. Is there a solution that would allow me to put the outboard on just for those infrequent times when I need it?

I apologize if this is an old question that has been answered. I could not find it anywhere on the board.
My thanks,

Matt kolb
Jim Walsh

Re: Typhoon outboard mount

Post by Jim Walsh »

Do you have tides to contend with? How far do you anticipate having to travel in the worst case scenario? Would an electric trolling motor suffice? If so, the CD removable bracket would allow you to easily pop the trolling motor and bracket into the cuddy cabin and remove all evidence of the auxiliary.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
casampson

Post by casampson »

I don't have a motor on my Typhoon and I like it that way. The only times I wish I had one is when the wind dies, and I have no way of getting back to my mooring. I carry a paddle, but so far haven't had to use it. As for launching and hauling, a friend of mine ties his Whaler to my Typhoon, and we move my boat around using his horsepower.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

I removed the outboard mount from my cd22...same situation..it's on a mooring ball ..I sail from it and back to it...My eye is on the weather however....I use a typhoon mount and a 4hp 1975 evinrude to launch in the spring and out in the fall....the motor weighs in at 38 pounds...I also put the motor on for our three day regatta...I race once a yr...my rearend is clear of debree
mkolb

Post by mkolb »

I do not have tides to contend with. Good point. I'm sailing her on Lake Bomoseen in Vermont. Its a freshwater lake that is just the right size for a typhoon (and vice versa). Anything larger would be silly. I have considered a small trolling motor and I think it would be plenty for the job. I'm still concerned about a bracket however. I guess I'm obsessing. Also, this is one of the rare open cockpit model G daysailers, so I don't have a lot storage room. The paddle option is where I am at the moment, and not unhappily so. I'm fine dealing with loss of wind if it happens. I just wondered if there was a small, unobtrusive "clip-on" or something that the people on this board might know about.
mkolb

Post by mkolb »

Also, I assume by removable bracket you mean this: http://www.rigrite.com/Hardware/Motor_B ... r_mnt.html

I think it is a great option and I thankyou for the lead.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Yes. The Spartan Marine bracket. Available from Spatan Marine in Maine, not just Rig Rite.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time